Symposium Report

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:07 PM
Hooked

Default Symposium Report

"Willi" wrote in message

My list of things that I think have improved in a meaningful way (some
are "new" things - some just better):

The water quality

Willi

Haven't been keeping up with the environmental news have you.

With the bu**** coming out of the White House these days, the quality of our
lakes and streams will be like Lake Erie 30-40 years ago. But then as
"Sportsmen" we really don't give as damn if they weaken the "Clean Water
Act" do we?

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:50 PM
Willi

Hooked wrote:

"Willi" wrote in message

My list of things that I think have improved in a meaningful way (some
are "new" things - some just better):

The water quality

Willi

Haven't been keeping up with the environmental news have you.

With the bu**** coming out of the White House these days, the quality of our
lakes and streams will be like Lake Erie 30-40 years ago. But then as
"Sportsmen" we really don't give as damn if they weaken the "Clean Water
Act" do we?

I'm not saying it's going to stay that way and I do think that weakening
the Clean Water Act will put an end to that improvement. However, water
quality, in general, today in the U.S. is much better than it was when I
was young.

Willi

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:54 PM
Tom Littleton

hooked asks of Willi:
Haven't been keeping up with the environmental news have you.

But then as
"Sportsmen" we really don't give as damn if they weaken the "Clean Water
Act" do we?

I don't think Willi was expressing a view of the future, just what has occurred
over the past 30 years. FWIW, the more people who recognize the improvements
SINCE the Clean Water Act was implemented, the better off we will be. Clearly,
this administration, and many fellows within the Neocon movement could give a
rats ass about water quality, but that is another thread for another day.....
Tom
Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:48 PM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Willi" wrote in message

My list of things that I think have improved in a meaningful way (some
are "new" things - some just better):

Waders

Tippet

Trout populations

The water quality

Wider range of materials used in fly tying
Willi

You forgot ROFF!

Op --always the optimist--

Old November 24th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Wolfgang

"Willi" wrote in message

Hooked wrote:

"Willi" wrote in message

My list of things that I think have improved in a meaningful way (some
are "new" things - some just better):

The water quality

Willi

Haven't been keeping up with the environmental news have you.

With the bu**** coming out of the White House these days, the quality of

our
lakes and streams will be like Lake Erie 30-40 years ago. But then as
"Sportsmen" we really don't give as damn if they weaken the "Clean Water
Act" do we?

I'm not saying it's going to stay that way and I do think that weakening
the Clean Water Act will put an end to that improvement. However, water
quality, in general, today in the U.S. is much better than it was when I
was young.

Now, you SEE what it's like when somebody "seems" to be responding to what
you say but is, instead, merely using your presence as an excuse to give
vent to a half-baked political philosophy apropos of nothing?

Wolfgang
reflecting on how nice it is to stop in here from time to time in order to
get away from the rancorous nonsense over in ROFF.

Old November 24th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Hooked

"Tom Littleton" wrote in message

but that is another thread for another day.....
Tom

Not really.

This is something that we should not take for granted and it can't wait for
another day.

The time to act is now.

Old November 24th, 2003, 01:10 AM
vincent p. norris

Last thing I'M GONNA DO is apply ethanol to MY crank!!

Actually, it can be quite pleasant to apply ethanol to your crank,
provided you apply it to the *inside* of your crank, via the
alimentary canal.

vince
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Wolfgang

"Hooked" wrote in message
"Tom Littleton" wrote in message

but that is another thread for another day.....
Tom

Not really.

This is something that we should not take for granted and it can't wait

for
another day.

The time to act is now.

I agree......wholeheartedly! People in general....and Americans, more
particularly....are all too willing to defer problems, however immediate
they may be, in hopes that someone else will take care of
them....someday....somehow....somewhere down the road. And every day we are
faced with horrendous problems which, if faced squarely when first brought
to the attention of the public, could have been dealt with in short order
with a minimum of fuss and bother. Take for example.....oh....say, people
who are incapable of reading a message on usenet and then formulating a
response that is in some way related to what was said in the original. Just
THINK of the heartache, expense, and time that could have been saved if
someone had simply gutted the fool before he had the chance to befoul an
entire newsgroup! It's a damned shame, it is.

Wolfgang

Old November 24th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Tom Littleton

Hooked implores:
The time to act is now.

exactly how? Give is a rest until the next election, and work yourself silly
next year getting someone new elected.
Tom
Old November 24th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Tom Littleton

Wolfgang notes:
Take for example.....oh....say, people
who are incapable of reading a message on usenet and then formulating a
response that is in some way related to what was said in the original.

Yeah!! What the hell was my original point, by the way? Oh yes, rejecting
daytripper's comment that nothing much had changed in flyfishing in the past 30
years! The more I think of that one, the more I can see his point....in the
large view, we are still doing the same essential thing as our predecessors of
the 19th century, merely tinkering with the details.
Perhaps what I am bothered by is a sort of ennui that has seemed to seep into
the attitude of many of the pros(Gartside, previously mentioned, is a notable
exception). One even sees it in the dealers, who showed a very predictable
range of tying materials. Only a few ventured into exotic or even
out-of-the-ordinary stuff.
Tom