Spinnerbait Help

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Dickie Greenleaf

Default Spinnerbait Help

Hello all...

I typically throw soft plastics and have been fairly successful catching
quite a few bass this year in the 3 to 5 lb. range. Recently, I've had some
very limited success with spinnerbaits, and am looking to increase my
confidence in this lure type for largemouth bass.

I have lurked in this group for the past few years and have read a number of
posts proclaiming the Secret Weapon spinnerbait system and am ready to take
the plunge. The fact I will be supporting a small company with roots in this
group makes it an obvious slam dunk.

I mainly shore fish, but sometimes wander out on my 10 foot inflatable with
30lb. trolling motor. The lakes and ponds I frequent in southeast Michigan,
are typically smallish and some are of the backwoods variety. They are
typically gin clear.

Now to the point... Since I am completely baffled by the numerous varieties,
I am looking for recommendations on color and blade variety that would be
most likely to succeed based on my location and fishing tactics.

Any and all tips, suggestions, and hlep will be *greatly* appreciated.

Great group by the way. Thanks!

--
DG

Old October 10th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Charles B. Summers

As with any lake, and most importantly with gin clear lakes, you want
something that looks natural. From the Secret Weapon line-up, I'd go with
the Wounded Shad, White Shad, Baby Bass, Grass Craw, Green Goddess and/or
Rock Craw. Blade choices would be mostly willowleaf, and maybe indiana.
Sizes would be 1/4oz to 3/8oz.

If course, and I'll probably get in trouble for saying this but... the rule
(guideline actually) goes for any manufacturers baits, and not just Secret
Weapons. What colors are you using in your plastics? If you've been
successful with those colors, you'd probably be ok using those colors on
other type of baits.

A few other members here are in Michigan too, and you're not that far from
Wisconsin! You know that there's a group tournament every September? Since
you're now a posting member... you are invited to join!
--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old October 10th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Richard Liebert

I have found that the Colorado blades tend to thump more hopefully
attracting fish from further away, but I am not sure you need extra "thump"
if the water is clear. If you fish at night I recommend Colorado blades for
this reason. I use black skirts and brass colored spinnerbaits in dark water
or at night. They work very well. In fact I am off right now to fish the
local waters until first light with that exact set up.

Last major success I had was with the secret weapon Wounded Shad in clear
water up here in Pa.

Spinner baits are extremely versatile. Jimmy Houston swears by them.

Jimmy who?

Stick with it and good luck..

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot) wrote in
message ...

Old October 10th, 2003, 11:27 AM
AJH

Take a look at S.O.B spinnerbaits www.soblures.com.. he makes very nice
spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price..his website has some very good
info..

I fish therefore I lie

Old October 10th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Bob Rickard

With Secret Weapon spinnerbaits being the subject of prior messages in this
thread, Mr. AJH speaks of a different (probably very reputable) manufacturer
that "makes very nice spinnerbaits at a REASONABLE price."

Maybe I should be keeping my mouth shut, but since you are one of the major
****-disturbers on this group, I won't. I REALLY resent your glaring
inference that our lures are NOT reasonably priced, Mr. AJH. I don't give a
rat's @ss whether you like our lures or not, they ARE an excellent value.
First of all, they cost more to make than any other spinnerbait on the
market. Now, do the math, Mr. AJH: NOBODY uses higher quality, more durable
components. NOBODY makes spinnerbaits that last longer. NOBODY makes
spinnerbaits that catch more fish. The blades are totally interchangeable,
meaning that owning as few as three or four lures effectively takes the
price per spinnerbait LOWER than those of any other reputable spinnerbait on
the market. Does that really make our price "UNREASONABLE", Mr. AJH? Of
course not!

Why take thoughtless potshots at Secret Weapon Lures, Mr. AJH? Did you ever
actually own any Secret Weapons and found them lacking? Is your life so
empty that you have nothing else to fill your time? Get a Life, Mr. AJH!

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old October 10th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Charles B. Summers

In a clear lake, you really don't need the thump, thump, thump of a Colorado
blade, but rather the reflectivness of a willow type blade. But, for those
of us that like both, the Oklahoma (turtleback) blades provide both and not
available on many different spinnerbaits *yet*. In JPP, I think those blade
produce better for me because there isn't many people throwing those blades,
and the fish aren't immune to them yet. But that's just my thought. Still,
Indiana would be as much thump as I'd want in a gin clear lake. JMHO.

Old October 10th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Chris Jones

Bob,
Some people may have personal agendas. I have tried neither the "Secret
Weapon" or the "SOB" spinnerbaits in question. I can say that all, repeat
all, feedback that I have seen concerning both baits have been 100%
positive. You sir, will receive an order from me in the near future. I
like quality and I like value. I am a firm believer that value is more then
just the price tag. Looking forward to give the SW a spin soon.

Chris
. ..

Old October 10th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Charles B. Summers

While most people will tell you that you can successfully use a spinnerbait
in Spring, Summer, and Fall... My best fish on Spinnerbaits have been in the
Spring and Fall. This is the time of year for me when I set the plastics
aside for awhile and start throwing spinnerbaits. The other night, TNBass
and I picked up 5 of our 6 bass, including one of JPP's elusive smallmouth
bass on spinnerbaits.

Old October 10th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Dark Knight

Well done to both of you - to Bob for an excellent (if spirited) defence of
his product, and Chris for being diplomatic enough to offend neither party
with his statements. Congrats gentlemen.

In my professional opinion, I think that the Secret Weapon lures ARE one of
the best "values" in their product segment out there. Even though I've
never commented publicly before (just in private to some respected
individuals from this group that I know), I have been presenting the samples
that I received at ICAST from Joe to a number of Dealers and Distributors
that I work with for feedback, and I have had the samples fished by pro
guides in my employ. The response has generally been quite good, with the
only concerns being that A) the knock-off by a large catalogue company, and
B) the lack of a large scale advertising campaign. This is important
because NO ONE is disputing the product's credentials or quality. It's
simply a question of effort involved to drive the marketplace.

FTR Promoting your product is fine AJH, and it appears that you have a good
product to promote. No one will dissuade you from doing that in a polite,
non-spam fashion on ROFB. The problem is that you were not polite. If
"reasonable" were in lower case, I don't think that anyone would have
baulked at your suggestion to consider a different type of safety-pin
spinner.

DK

Old October 10th, 2003, 08:37 PM
AJH

Capt, you going to have a heart attack if you don't calm down..IMO your
spinnerbaits are over priced,I am allowed to have a opinion aren't I..
I don't own a SW but I have seen one up close and I wasn't all that
impressed...You have a bunch of good old boys here that swear buy SW
spinnerbaits, I hope you are big enough to accept another point of
view..
How do you know that NO BUDDY makes a spinnerbait the costs more,is
better quality , catches more fish and lasts longer? Have you seen and
tried them all?
Maybe we should re-name this NG, the SW news group and we should all
praise your wonderful invention..
At least your getting some free
advertizement out of this..

I fish therefore I lie