Egg patterns

Old July 25th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Hooked

Default Egg patterns

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
news

I will readily concede that most subsurface "fly fishing" is more
closely related to bait fishing than fly fishing. Among the naturals
you mention, bugs, worms, fish and eggs, the only one I'm willing to
acknowledge as fly fishing, for me personally, is fish, aka streamers.

Nymphing is the art of catching fish when you should be doing something
else, like drinking beer, making love to your SO, playing catch with
your dog or taking a nap until the dries start coming off.

YMMV, and I'd bet one of Wolfie's shiny new nickels that it does. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Streamers?!?!?! BAIT ! ! ! ! !

Nothing like soaking a minnow under a float, eh?

Or how about a dry fly? BAIT ! ! ! !

Nothing like floating a cricket on top, eh?

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- Dan Quayle

Old July 25th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Sierra fisher

no

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"detoor" wrote in message
yes

Old July 25th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Sierra fisher

no

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"detoor" wrote in message
yes

Old July 25th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Sierra fisher

I agree with Clark. In fact I go one step further. If there are dries on
the surface, and fish are rising, I think that using nymphs is a travesty.
They don't know what fly fishing is about!

I was recently getting ready to get into a lake whee the fish were rising
all over the place. At the same time, 3 guys were leaving the lake in
disgust saying "the bite is off" They had been there for three days and
hadn't caught anything...the bite was off. I asked them what they had been
fishing with......You guessed it..nymphs!

Re eggs, I put them in the same category a San Juan worms, and streamers.
As long as they are artificial, have no aroma, and the line is the weight
for carrying the lure to the water, go to it. However, I usualyy try for a
couple of hours swinging wet flies before I go to the eggs, eggs should be
dead drifted, which is a boring way to fish.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Clark Reid" wrote in message
Good question, and a debate that has raged for years here in NZ.

I'll put Ken's comments aside because he's got his elitist blinkers on
again.

The Glo-Bug is an attractor fly in many instances and a roe imitation in
others. In most instances it is used on fish running the rivers from the
lakes on their spawning migration in New Zealand, and for that matter, the
rest of the world. So mainly it is a roe imitation.

The principle I have often used is to go right to heart of what

fly-fishing
is generally about for many. Fooling a feeding trout with a constructed
imitation of the current food source. To be considered a "fly" by most
flytiers this would require the use of tying thread, natural or synthetic
furs and yarns and or hackle if appropriate. In the case of "Glo-Bugs" in

NZ
it obviously fits the category.

Now a trout sitting in a spring creek sipping down emerging mayflies is
fished to by the fly fisherman with an imitation of that as best can be
created by the fly tiers art. A trout waiting in a Tongariro pool is

picking
up drifting eggs for a number of reasons, least of all food, but for the
moment is probably ingesting very little else. The "Glo-Bug" is an

imitation
of that. The parallels are obvious, the differences somewhat lost on me.
Some may perceive differences, I personally don't see any. The angler is
simply imitating what the trout is feeding on at that moment.

However, that is my thoughts in defense of the fly. The technique of the
heavy Bomb fly, dropper and Glo-bug attached to a heavy leader and fished
with a budgie sized indicator is, at best a *******ization of fly-fishing.

practice that technique myself at times on the winter fishery, but try to
stay well aware that what I am doing is not really fly-fishing even though
many on the big river would believe it is in light of having experienced
very little else in terms of real" flyfishing.

So to sum up my thoughts, I think the "Glo-Bug" is very definitely a fly,
but the techniques often associated with it are not always fly-fishing.

Clark Reid
www.dryflynz.com

"Buxc" wrote in message
Is an egg pattern cheating? (Glo-bugs as we call them in N.Z)

Old July 25th, 2004, 06:39 AM
George Adams

From: "Sierra fisher"

I was recently getting ready to get into a lake whee the fish were rising
all over the place. At the same time, 3 guys were leaving the lake in
disgust saying "the bite is off" They had been there for three days and
hadn't caught anything...the bite was off.

I asked them what they had been
fishing with......You guessed it..nymphs!

If there was a hatch on, and these guys were fishing with nymphs and not
catching anything, then they didn't know what they were doing.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old July 25th, 2004, 06:39 AM
George Adams

Old July 25th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Sierra fisher

you're right! But that is where the novice is led these days. Fly fishing
has become a numbers game. "Fish spend 90% of their time eating nymphs so
you'll catch X times more fish using nymphs". "Boy, I had a great
day..caught 40 fish (the method doesn't count)"

I took a 75 year old doctor fishing one day. When arrived at the water, we
found a hatch. I put on a dry fly for him, and hequickly caught a few fish.
Then he said "lets put on a nymph, I want to catch a lot of fish!"

I find tht this attitude prevails amoungst a lot of fishermen(?) and there
are few people who teach differently

Old July 25th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Buxc

So to sum up my thoughts, I think the "Glo-Bug" is very definitely a fly,
but the techniques often associated with it are not always fly-fishing.

Clark Reid
www.dryflynz.com

Well Clark I'm not sure I understand, calling it a fly but if you were
using this fly to fish with you would not be fly fishing hmmmm.
My take on the whole thing is this, in the best part of the fishing
season when fish are rising freely to mayfly, caddis and terrestrials
imitations well I don't tie on a Glo-bug. By the same token in the
middle of winter when nothing is rising and I am desperate to get my
fishing fix I don't tie on a delicate mayfly pattern.
After all part of the aim for me and I'm sure others of going fishing is
to catch fish. Because of this I do not have any ethical dilemmas when I
tie on a glo-bug behind a tungsten bead nymph and indicator.
My choice of indicator is for egg yarn - no longer than half an inch,
and a small metal split ring or sheep wool that I collect off barbed
wire fences, not budgies.
Honestly if I had a choice it would be dry fly time all year round, but
as that's not the case and I still want to get a bend in my rod and a
scream from my reel in winter I'll use a glo-bug on my fly rod and go
fly fishing

Not cheating fly fishing to the conditions.

Cheers
Andrew

P.S do you give them to clients when you are guiding Clark?