11/28/05 Florida Keys Backcountry Fishing Report

Old November 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM
CaptLeon CaptLeon is offline
Junior Member

Default 11/28/05 Florida Keys Backcountry Fishing Report

Welcome back, here’s “What Bitin’”!

This week on the flats we found some nice Bonefish tailing. We managed to hook up two nice ones. They were 9 & 11 lbs, not bad.
When the wind's picked up I started running into Flamingo to try to find the Snook & Reds on the Flats.
The last four days of the week the winds have been up to 15 & 20 mph. When the winds are up you can stay behind the islands where it’s nice & calm. No matter which way the wind blows there are thousands of islands where you can" fish the back side”. The last four days we’ve gotten four Snook & lost two big Reds.

If you want to catch a Snook, come down now! The season ends December the 15th.

There have also been some Trout this week on the edge of the Flats in the 15-22in range and always lots of Jack Crevalle . Small Red Grouper are laying in deep holes, if you know where to find them. Right now you can catch Ladyfish in the 3-4lb range. Ladyfish are tough fighters and by the way,….Tarpon love them for Lunch.

Hurricane Wilma has changed a lot of our fishing spots. We’re out there every day following the fish to their new neighborhoods. We’ll have all new places to fish when you get here!

This coming week we’ll be trying for Spanish Mackerel, Cobia & Snook on the shoreline
of the Cape. Don’t miss out on coming down to see all the seasonal birds coming in for the winter. It’s a beautiful sight. Did you know there are Bald Eagles in the Backcountry?

If you're in the Keys, stop by Dove Creek Lodge or Snapper's for Fishing Information.

Check in next week for a Backcountry Fishing update, until then, Happy Holidays to all!
Feel free to call my boat phone (305) 394-0505.
Capt. Leon . (http://www.reelranger.com)