Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/14/04

Old June 14th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Capt Gene Kelly

Default Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/14/04

6/8/04

I screwed up last week when I said that the golf tournament at Shinnecock
was this weekend. Only one person let me know, so I guess not many of you
are golfers. Anyway, it's this weekend, so if you are driving home of
Sunday, be sure to leave before it ends, otherwise you might still be on the
road Monday.

Also, next weekend is the first of the shark tournaments, and usually the
biggest. It's held at Star Island Yacht Club, and the fishing will take
place on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, although the competing boats can
only fish two out of those three days. That's in case of one day having
lousy weather. The boats will be able to sit at the dock that day and still
get in two days of fishing. In fact if they opt not to fish on Thursday or
Friday, they have to stay at the dock - no inshore fishing, no sightseeing,
nothing. Leave the dock and they are disqualified.

The shark fishing has been good, with most boats fishing up to thirty miles
out catching a half dozen to a dozen or more bluesharks a day, with enough
bluefish around to keep up the hope of a mako - they love bluefish. I have
heard of a couple of makos and maybe a thresher being caught back to the
west. This tournament has a lot of $$$ in it, and hence some heavy duty
boats, the kind that don't think twice about running a hundred miles, so I'm
sure there will be some decent fish brought into the scales.

Inshore there are some more sharks showing up as well - the "Hounds from
Hell' chased most of the boats away from Montauk Shoals on Saturday. Before
that the fluke fishing was pretty good there, although with a three fish
limit, it really doesn't have to be that good to be "good enough".

The doggies probably also made it more difficult on those fishing for
seabass, since they are a in a little deeper water. Most of the fluke fleet
moved inshore and east out to the rips to get away from them.

I had a neat little surprise on Friday. The boat I run is tied up at the
Devon Yacht Club, which is back in the bay. It's a tennis and yacht club,
and the marina is only about three hundred feet square. Anyway, I was
filleting some fluke and flipped the skin in the water only to watch a
striped bass slurp it down. Needless to say I couldn't let that go by
without doing something, so the next skin had a hook in it. It was a nice
fish too, about 12-14 pounds.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

Capt Gene Kelly

Montauk Sportfishing

--