A few big bass or a lot of small ones?

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:44 PM
John Lindsey

Default A few big bass or a lot of small ones?(John)

As a suggestion just for ho ho's next time you are out in top water bass
country and the tournament pressures are not too strong, include a fly rod
amongst the other 8 or 9 rigs you may have on board. Get a quality (no drug
store or yard sale junk) 9 1/2 or 10 foot 9 weight rod and a reel with a
good drag. Have them load a bass taper line a 10 pound leader and tippet
and tie on a big floating bass popping bug. Rig this up the night before
and put it into one of those rod/reel bags (that break the rod into two
pieces) and toss it out of your way in the boat.

I'm sure you remember those times that up ahead you heard some big hawg
knocking the heck out of things and you casted some topwater plug and caught
him/her. Next time when that same circumstances occur, quickly slip out
your fly rod, insert the two pieces, strip out enough line and cast to that
ole big 'un.

At that moment there are only two possibilities: You either get a strike,
or you don't.
a. If you get a strike, you'll enjoy the fun bass fly rod fishermen have at
that instant. You may be hooked.
b. If you do NOT get a strike, lay the fly rod down pick you your rod of
choice and thoroughly work the area. This technique will let you maintain
your "fish per hour progress" with only minimal lost time.

I've just described the technique my dad and I used 50 years ago. And about
one out of 10 times, while my popping bug laid still in the water as he
fished out the area with his rod and reel, that big bass would hit my bug!
What will you do with two bass on two rods at a time? LOL It's happened to
Dad and I. It'd be my guess that's the kind of problems you'd like to have.

Fly fishing hasn't changed much in the last two centuries but technology has
improved the accessories to the point to where you can bring along a fly rod
all set up ready to go in bass country. I've often wondered why you
tournament bass fishermen leave so much fun on the table. It's been our
little secret up to now, grin
Try it. You'll like it. And give us a trip report!

Good luck.
John

"John Kerr" wrote in message
I certainly respect a fly fisherman....tried some up in Washington, and
almost got "hooked" on it (no pun intended) grin.
It is a whole different ballgame, and I agree with most all you attested
to. The skill level in fly fishing is not so much how many you catch,
but rather the ability to land the bigger fish with the tackle in use. I
have watched them fly fishing for snook, and tarpon, and was amazed that
they could land those fish with that tackle. I use to fish for sharks in
the gulf using light tackle, and it was all about "landing" that 1 big
one (150 lb +) with 20 lb test and a light rod. But when it comes to
bass fishing, I just can't seem to devote the time necessary to only go
for the trophy bass....it's just too much fun to catch the "average"
bass, and that happens so much more often! But I respect your point of
view!
JK

Old October 10th, 2003, 11:53 PM
RichZ

You know, I went through the whole fly fishing thing years ago, for
everything but trout. Bass -- Pike -- Stripers -- Bluefish. I did it on and
off for 4 or 5 years. Or at least I owned the stuff that long. By the 4th
year or so, I never bothered to use it any more. I just never found the
excitement in it that those who favor it do. And it was just too limiting
technique-wise. I need to be constantly learning something -- what are they
up too no? what's the bottom like, here? etc. Fly fishing didn't provide
many answers in my info gathering quest. And to me, fighting the fish on
fly tackle was no more exciting -- maybe even less so -- than fighting the
same fish on light spinning gear.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing