Senkos....

Old October 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Senkos....

Ok... I thought I was a decent senko fisherman, but yesterday I got
schooled seriously.

Lannes Brock invited me to fish Yuma Bassmasters with him. His regular
partner was busy with something else. Anyway. Lannes pretty much fished a
t-rigged senko all day long with a brief respite while he fished a fluke.

We ran through an area and the wind was whipping down along with us for
hours. He was feeling fish constantly and putting a fish in the boat
regularly while I stood there and watched. I'm sure I was getting bites,
but I was oblivious to it. Basically Lannes was dead sticking a senkos and
then very slowly dragging it. Every once in a while he would say, "I'm
getting a bite." Then he would let the fish swim around a bit and set the
hook.

When I finally focused I caught a coupel also. Wow. I'm a line wather
mostly, but if you had seen me yesterday you would have thought I totally
forgot how to fish by feel. I used to be pretty good at fishing by feel.
In fact back when I bait fished I would read a book and fish totally by feel
with the line lace between my fingers, and I always caught more fish that
way than anybody else bait fishing. Maybe I should take a couple days
sitting ont he bank to get my touch back.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old October 16th, 2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles B. Summers

Same here...only with Trick worms.

Mid-Tenn Classic 2002 on Center Hill Lake, Moe Conway and I were paired up
on day 2. The first day, I found fish by fishing black and blue tubes. Day
2, I was out of tubes... but Moe promised me that we could pick them off
fishing Trick Worms very slowly. That was going to be difficult with the
wind, but we did ok. Ok, he did all right. I stood there on the front off
the boat watching him pluck fish out of the water like he personally put
them there for later. He caught so many fish that he quit culling them. I
stood there fishless.

"Charles" he would say, "you gotta wait until you feel them turn their head
before you set the hook."

Ok, patience is the key. So there I'd stand like a moron while these fish
would take my bait, turn their heads, take a nap, pick their little fish
babies up from school... whatever, and STILL not latch on to one. Moe even
got up on the front deck with me, almost placing the bait in the water and
setting the hook... trying to teach me what he was doing and I wasn't.

Point is... sometimes you've got it... sometimes you don't. That was one of
my "sometimes I don't" days.

BTW: Moe's weight alone gave us a 2nd place fishing on day two. Too bad I
couldn't have helped out.

.. .

Old October 17th, 2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

I've long contended that the bass fishing public is too heavily invested
in line watching. Sure I watch my line. But it's still secondary to
"fishing by Braille" as far as I'm concerned. Line watching may tell me
when I've had a bite. Relying on my sense of feel does that too, but it
often tells me to get ready for one, as I bump the worm and/or the jig
into something that might just hold a fish.
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

Bob, alot of times when the wind is whipping really good, add some
weight to your Senko style bait so you make sure it's getting bottom
contact, I like a splitshot on windy days while deadsticking.

Old October 17th, 2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Pat_RI

Bob,

What kind of rods were you guys using maybe his was more sensative

Old October 17th, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SimRacer

[...]

I understand the theory of patience. If you ever want a sure-fire way to
train yourself to wait on a fish to have and truly take your bait prior to
setting the hook, try flounder fishing sometime. That, to me, is the
ultimate in patience training, since they'll pick it up and play with it
awhile before trying to eat it, all has to happen before you can set the
hook on one of those bad boys. There are times that between feeling the fish
and setting the hook on a flounder, it can actually feel like minutes have
gone by - even though it may have only been 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Old October 17th, 2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Olebiker

RichZ wrote:
I've long contended that the bass fishing public is too heavily invested
in line watching. Sure I watch my line. But it's still secondary to
"fishing by Braille" as far as I'm concerned. Line watching may tell me
when I've had a bite. Relying on my sense of feel does that too, but it
often tells me to get ready for one, as I bump the worm and/or the jig
into something that might just hold a fish.

Have you fished an unweighted Senko? I seldom feel a fish hit a Senko
like I do a Texas rigged worm.

Old October 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now

On 17 Oct 2006 12:36:20 -0700, "Olebiker" wrote:

RichZ wrote:
I've long contended that the bass fishing public is too heavily invested
in line watching. Sure I watch my line. But it's still secondary to
"fishing by Braille" as far as I'm concerned. Line watching may tell me
when I've had a bite. Relying on my sense of feel does that too, but it
often tells me to get ready for one, as I bump the worm and/or the jig
into something that might just hold a fish.

Have you fished an unweighted Senko? I seldom feel a fish hit a Senko
like I do a Texas rigged worm.

I always fish a Senko unweighted. Never had a problem feeling them.
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...

RichZ wrote:
I've long contended that the bass fishing public is too heavily invested
in line watching. Sure I watch my line. But it's still secondary to
"fishing by Braille" as far as I'm concerned. Line watching may tell me
when I've had a bite. Relying on my sense of feel does that too, but it
often tells me to get ready for one, as I bump the worm and/or the jig
into something that might just hold a fish.

Have you fished an unweighted Senko? I seldom feel a fish hit a Senko
like I do a Texas rigged worm.

I rarely feel hits with worms, Senkos or soft jerkbaits, so I have to watch
my line to detect hits. Without the line-watching, I'd either catch far
fewer fish or catch many more gut-hooked fish.

I'll readily concede the possibility (probability?) that I lack what it
takes to detect hits by feel (even with Fireline). But I am what I am, and
whatever that is, it requires me to carefully watch the line.

Old October 18th, 2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Marty wrote:
"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...

RichZ wrote:

[...]

Try keeping a finger in contact with the line, never move the bait with
the reel, and always "weigh" the lure before moving it.