Ranger drops Ike

Old March 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Ranger drops Ike

Just read on BassFan.com that Ranger dropped Ike. I think that this
trend will continue as his schtick is getting old. I recently read a
column from a prominent writer that at the amatuer level, Ike didn't do
his screaming and yelling, it only started when the tv cameras arrived.

"Ranger drops Ike 2/28/2006
Ranger Boats has dropped its sponsorship of Mike Iaconelli based on his
behavior at the recent Bassmaster Classic. Here's the statement from
Ranger president Randy Hopper.

"Based on a series of events that occurred during the recent Bassmaster
Classic competition, Ranger Boats is withdrawing its sponsorship and
affiliation with Mike Iaconelli. We do not believe that Mike's conduct
during the tournament appropriately represents the deep-seated values
on which our company was built and continues to operate.

"Ranger further acknowledges Iaconelli's impressive angling
achievements as well as his commitment to promoting the sport of
fishing. His efforts to encourage others through the platform of
fishing are a credit to his many accomplishments. While we regret his
actions leading to this decision, we wish Mike well in future
ventures." "

~~
Jack Dalzell
www.jdbass.com
~~

Old March 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
.. .

You know its funny. People choose to make a big deal out of all kinds of
things.

I got into it on the water a while back with some duck hunters. Basically
they threatened to shoot us. I backed off (out of effective shotgun range)
and let them know what kind of F'in criminals they were and then called the
sheriff on my cell phone.

Several people on the lake heard the exchange. What amazed me was how
several uptight hoity toities decided to make a big deal out my language,
but threatening somebody with bodily injury and/or murder with a deadly
weapon raised nary a comment.

I'm not saying this is the same situation with Ike, but ... Each person
should probably think about the motivations behind their chosen voiced
opinion.

Another one that amazes me when we are on the topic is the "f" word itself.
Some people get all upset about its use, but don't raise an eyebrow about
using the word "God" in vain. Huh? If there is some moral distinction
about one why isn't there about the other?

Anyway, Ranger's choice to drop Ike is purely and solely motivated by
business. They perceive that he may place a negative image on their product
which over shadows the product recognition that he gets for them. Nothing
more and nothing less.

Ike is a good angler. He will certainly come up with a balance of
showmanship and attitude that works to promote himself and his sponsors to
mutual benefit as he develops his career. He is one of those anglers who
can actually make a living fishing just from his winnings. For those that
don't like him, sorry, he isn't going to go away. I personally am
indifferent about him either as an individual or an angler. I would
certainly like to have the skills to fish at his level.

--
Bob La Londe - Webmaster
www.YumaBassMan.com

Tornament Director
www.YumaProAm.com

Old March 1st, 2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That's their right I guess. Iaconelli's actions heretofore would not have
made me "not" buy a Ranger, their pricing did that for them long before Ike
screamed his way into winning the '03 Classic. (And SO much of his carrying
on of the pracitce, IMO, is because of the big deal they made out of it that
last day of the 03 Classic on the TV shows that followed...)

I personally think this is a dumb move by Ranger. Sure, they're upholding
some implied "honor in the sport deal", but Ike isn't going to go away. In
fact, I imagine that boat makers are lining up to take their place as his
boat sponsor today. He lost his temper, on TV. That's a far, far cry from
infractions seen around the rest of the sporting world. I say because of
this, and Ranger's actions yesterday, that Ike will come out on top of this
latest buzz. And I'm like Bob on this, I'm indifferent on Ike. Not really a
fan, but I also do not dislike him.

Old March 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Ike is a good angler. He will certainly come up with a balance of
showmanship and attitude that works to promote himself and his sponsors to
mutual benefit as he develops his career. He is one of those anglers who
can actually make a living fishing just from his winnings. For those that
don't like him, sorry, he isn't going to go away. I personally am
indifferent about him either as an individual or an angler. I would
certainly like to have the skills to fish at his level.

I agree, Ike IS a great angler and should let his angling prowess speak
those volumes that he so prominently displays. I met Ike at the FLW
Tour Championships, even gave him a SW spinnerbait (he tried to pay for
it) and I liked the Mike I met. The one on TV is getting old (IMO).
Usually gimmicks are short lived and Mike is too good for a
gimmick.....I think we will see a more controlled Ike in the future. I
certainly don't want him to go away, he has too much to offer the sport
(I really like his flamed Ranger shirt).
Jack

~~
Jack Dalzell
www.jdbass.com
~~

Old March 1st, 2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

A "more controlled, more of the time" Ike is more likely. And I only say
this because of parallels I see in NASCAR. Take their latest crop of "bad
boys" like Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch. They both more or less keep opening
their mouths to recept their feet, and get in trouble for it. But then you
look at the passion of both drivers' fans, and the draw that they have to
the sport in general, and it behooves them to behave, basically, just most
of the time. I guess I'm trying to say that Ike will likely try not to have
such an emotional explosion during the course an event again, but I doubt he
is done being at least on the edge of controversial. It separates him from
the rest of the field and gives him that marketing edge. (And anyone that
actually read his book - there were photos in it afterall - knows that Ike
can be an emotionally driven person. That's usually equal to great passion,
but usually comes at a personal cost, like his temper apparently.)

Given that, and so long as the NBA, NFL and other and more traditional
sports continue to support genuine felons, I can't see BASS, the FLW or
anyone doing much about ridding their sport of him. I mean LOOK AT THIS VERY
THREAD! LOL! It's about a guy who finished 51st out of 51 at last week's
Classic, yet here we are talking about him on Wednesday still. IMHO, Ike
*is* good for the sport, even if his emotions and actions are sometimes bad
for his image. I personally don't think his outburst hurt the sport at all.
May have hurt some feelings of those in the sport, but at the end of the
day, I imagine his tirade drew more viewers to the coverage than it
repelled. And like it or not, it's that commercial aspect and its affect on
the bottom line that will drive ESPN/BASS and their following, not one guy
getting ****ed over his own brain fart and breaking a boat's light, and
saying a few curse words on TV. (And let's face it, anyone drawn to fishing
that is afraid of a little censor-bleeping in the footage, has obviously
never seen a Bill Dance blooper reel...how can we hold Ike to any higher
standard than that?)

Old March 1st, 2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:52:20 GMT, "SimRacer"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Great post Sim. I agree with most of the current posts in this thread.
It was probably time for Ike to just 'take it down a notch' (to borrow
a misquote from Emeril). I'm just sorry that it will likely have taken
a pulled sponsorship to do it. I really liked the Mike that I met at a
local tackle shop. Nowhere near the character that you see on camera,
but I understood it. You should see me, Randy, Dave or Brooklyn Bill
when we get on the water together. We'd make Ike blush.

..
Harry J aka Thundercat
Share the knowledge, compete on execution...
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com
http://secretweaponlures.com
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Thundercat" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:52:20 GMT, "SimRacer"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

LOL! As would I (make Ike blush) had I been in the Classic, opened up the
livewell, and found 2 floaters (that were my own fault no less).....Granted,
he's *in" big time fishing, and should've thought about where he was, and
who was watching before "going off", but I just think it's unreasonable to
expect such an emotional person to just grin and bear it, all the time
anyway. This was his 2nd major SNAFU in Classic competition the past 3
years, I would've expected some reaction, even if he was over the top with
the one he displayed.

As for losing sponsors, IMO, it's no biggie. IMVHO*, it's Ranger trying to
appeal to the "sensitive Southern" audience that abuts its Southern plant,
and is trying to draw some positive attention to themselves out of Ike's
negative situation ("Look at us, he went off, we gave him the boot. We're
heros!"). If anyone draws my ire from that action, it's Ranger Boats. I hope
another big company backs him soon, and I imagine one will (with the press
he's getting today, someone would be stupid not to). I mean let's face it,
he comitted no crime against anyone, and simply offended the uppity ups at
BASS with a lack of "sportsmanship". If sportsmanship alone is a supreme,
non-negotiable prerequisite for pro sports today, someone please explain how
the NBA, NFL and MLB are still in business...with all their wife beaters,
drug users, alleged murderers and the like still playing, collecting huge
sums in salary and even having shoes named after them "after the fact". I
think BASS's and Ranger's messages are too strong, and too late. They're
trying to establish an unobtainable standard IMO. But, that's just me. And I
am Southern, and moderately conservative. And didn't give a rat's arse about
Ike's tirade at the time...and still don't aside from the continuing
fallout.

*In My VERY Humble Opinion

.

Old March 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Thundercat" wrote in message
SNIP

Great post Sim. I agree with most of the current posts in this thread.
It was probably time for Ike to just 'take it down a notch' (to borrow
a misquote from Emeril).

***I agree to a certain point. Sure, if you're fishing at this level, you
have to be a marketable personality, but by the same token, you're
representing all those companies that pay your bills. You wouldn't see a
Ranger rep at a boat show acting like Ike did, regardless of the amount of
"passion" he has. Quite frankly, I found his antics to be tiresome and over
the top for a "professional".

His sponsors are paying for him to represent them in a responsible,
professional manner, and launching into a tirade like he did is neither
responsible or professional. If you want to scream, holler, rant and rave
on camera, become a professional wrestler.

I'm just sorry that it will likely have taken
a pulled sponsorship to do it. I really liked the Mike that I met at a
local tackle shop. Nowhere near the character that you see on camera,
but I understood it.

I'm sure that he is a knowledgable angler as well as a nice guy. But when
you're fishing at the level he is, acting like a spoiled child is just wrong
on so many levels.... At this level of angling, your finish results should
do as much speaking as your on-camera presence.

You should see me, Randy, Dave or Brooklyn Bill
when we get on the water together. We'd make Ike blush.

***And when friends get together, it should be like that! Afterall, fun is
fun. But when you're on national television, fishing "for all the marbles",
representing numerous companies' interests, antics and passion take a back
seat to professionalism and results. There's no room for anything else.

At least that's how I see it.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 1st, 2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:33:42 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

"Thundercat" wrote in message
SNIP

Great post Sim. I agree with most of the current posts in this thread.
It was probably time for Ike to just 'take it down a notch' (to borrow
a misquote from Emeril).

***I agree to a certain point. Sure, if you're fishing at this level, you
have to be a marketable personality, but by the same token, you're
representing all those companies that pay your bills.

I'm kinda saying the same thing. Ike fell into a trap (of his own
making). He tried to walk the proverbial tightrope in his own little
circus. The coverage he got while doing so only encouraged him IMO to
act the fool. Nobody with any authority was there to try to reel him
in. Pun intended. They just kept poking him and watching him. We've
all known that kid that you could get to eat the caterpillar if enough
people egged him on. Just once he gets amped up for the show, you
never know what he'll do.

You can tell Ike tries hard to put on a show. He tries to live up to
his billing. Even if it is the 'one of the 10 most hated athletes'
billing. One show I was watching he screamed about a giant fish, but
as he put it in the livewell he said quietly it wasn't really that big
but they enjoy the show. It keeps people talking. Like was said above,
here it is 3 days later and we're talking about the guy that came in
LAST PLACE!

..
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I gotta say Steve, you are sounding like the posterchild for "purists" vs
"the new fan". And I ain't disagreeing with you, not really, but your post
could have been in the NASCAR group at any time since Brian France took over
and started changing that sport, and the new guys have come in with chips on
their shoulders, all the while "old fans" and purists sat back and
complained and said it would never work. Sadly, NASCAR is getting bigger,
and the core-old time-fans are disappearing, and being replaced in droves by
the new TV audience. I see BASS going that same route. They "will" continue
to grow, at times at the expense of the history that got them to where they
are, but they will grow. With new blood. With anglers that may not act like
"we" would think they should, and us old timers will get the cold shoulder
in favor of the new audience's disposable income.

So sadly, I think your last statement is going to turn out to be incorrect.
There is room for something else. Edgier. Racier. Attractive to a newer and
younger audience, with more of their parent's money to spend. I hate that I
say that, but I've seen it in other burgeoning sports, and I'm afraid that
BASS will be no different now that they are moving into the mainstream. Now
that ESPN is finally starting to exploit it for the money maker that it can
be for them.

Do I condone Mike's actions? No, not really. Do I think Ranger pulling their
support of him is going to change anything? No, not really. If anything, I
think it will arise at least a small backfire against them. They're trying
to make an example out of someone that a lot of "new" fans like, and I can't
see that going very far in a positive direction for them when they're in the
commerical business of selling boats. See, IMO (based on years of quiet
observation of similar trends in "Southern" sports like NASCAR) I think Mike
has enough fans that will follow his boat sponsor, whomever it may be. I can
see people that are Ike fans that "were" considering a Ranger, now not
buying one. And instead, buying whatever company's product that picks him up
as a show of solidarity with "their man". The old school support of "sport"
sponsorships is dying away, and is being replaced by fans of sponsors of
certain fishermen (or drivers in NASCAR). As I've said in other posts on the
topic, BASS is "arriving" and is going to be held up against other pro
sports as to what is and is not acceptable. In that vain, Mike hurt no one
but a light pole and 2 bass, and his career will advance.

I mean, if an NFL player can serve jail time, and still come back to
millions in salary, why shouldn't it (Ike's career) advance? Why shouldn't
it even prosper? At the core level, he tore up a Triton, and "was" sponsored
by Ranger at the time. That tack would've been more actionable IMO (in a
postive way), than yanking their sponsorship of him over an emotional
outburst, whether you, I, or everyone, are tired of his "antics" or not. If
Ranger had simply played it off (while not necessarily condoning his
actions, which was possible) they'd have people lining up to buy their
stuff. Now, they're going to drive more people away than they attract. And
it's because of thinking like yours, that assumes everyone that watches the
BASS on ESPN are genteel fisherman, that underestand that there are ways "to
behave" and ways "not to behave". The sport has grown beyond that
demographic IMO, and the sooner us old timers figure it out, the better off
we'll be. I ain't sayin it's right, I'm just saying that thinking and
comments like yours will get the sport labled as "redneck" and "backwoods"
in today's society (which could care less about being nice, just read
anything about politics anywhere today, and nice is no longer expected in
anything today), so it leaves us with a choice: Measurable growth of the
sport, accepting that change is upon us; or Let it be, and it will never
grow any larger.

If we stymie people like Ike, and come down with the hammer everytime they
put a toe out of line or don't act "just so", BASS will not grow, it will
retract. Sad fact, but a fact nonetheless IMO. Especially when you consider
what BASS and Ranger did to Ike amount to a penalty over ethics/morality.
Those just aren't kosher anymore. Not with all the Blue on the political
maps. Not since President Clinton uttered that famous line: "Define sex."
Not since the 2004 election was said to hinge on "morality issues" and from
then on the Republicans of this country have been labeled the "Evangelical
Right". No, whether you think it was right or wrong, a majority of people in
this country if asked about it would say that BASS/Ranger were wrong. And
you or I aren't singularly going to make a difference in ratings, but a
"majority" of the people would. And will, I suspect.