Wales is Kool

Old June 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default Wales is Kool

So I am in Wales, painting and WALKING and Walking and Walking, and
painting. Not fishing but what wonderful country. The River Teifi,
from Aberteifi up thru Newcastle looks like a winner. Oh well, next
time.

And the farm food is amazing, the roads are deadly and the language
defintely learnable, once you accept that W can be both a vowel and a
consonant, is pronounced like a U, which is pronounced like a EE, as
is Y, if im not mistaken. But the Welsh speakers really like it if you
even try their language. Something like half a million speak Welsh
here. At least the verb system looks simpler that that of the romance
languages. Hearing it helps alot.

I am in the Ceredigion area, Tresaith, on the coast of Southern Wales.
Its a very Welsh area. Today wife, son and I did a little of the
Pembroke Coast trail out of Cartigan, over the headlands and sheep
pastures. Amazing. The Irish Sea always in view. Pink and white Joe
Pye weed all over the lowlands and Foxglove and wild carrot up on the
headlands. Stone houses mostly, along incised one lane roads. New
potatoes and leeks and cured rashers.

We see the occasional "Free Wales" sign swcrawled on walls but thus
far have been required to pay in Pounds for our pints. It might be for
the off season. In any case we are trying to honor the memory of Dylan
Thomas as we go but with only another week before we head north and so
many pubs and beers who all contend the dead poets patronage, its not
sure we will give the man justice. We will try for the sake of the
order.

Anyway, did fish a bit in the states before we left and cleaned up my
tin cabin on the river. Plan to be on the dryside in July, fishing and
irrigaten. Goodnite, Nout daa (I think or something close)

Old June 19th, 2009, 05:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:34:57 -0700 (PDT), DaveS wrote:

[...]

Dave

Cerdded da, Sarge...

TC,
....and I think there is only one "a" in "da," but ??? Oh, officially, there
there's probably 3 "h"s, 4 "n"s, and few random consonants tossed about for good
measure...

Oh, Billy-boy...
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 18-Jun-2009, DaveS wrote:

So I am in Wales, painting and WALKING and Walking and Walking, and
painting. Not fishing but what wonderful country. The River Teifi,
from Aberteifi up thru Newcastle looks like a winner. Oh well, next
time.

Dave

Listen to some Irish fiddling
It is quite different and unique esp with the Nyah

http://www.gotnyah.net/

A few fiddle tunes sandwiched around some of the local brews - The music
will even sound better

Also listen to some Scottish fiddle tunes w a few of the local malt
beverages

Fred
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On 19 June, 21:16, "Fred" wrote:
On 18-Jun-2009, DaveS wrote:

So I am in Wales, painting and WALKING and Walking and Walking, and
painting. Not fishing but what wonderful country. The River Teifi,
from Aberteifi up thru Newcastle looks like a winner. Oh well, next
time.

Dave

Listen to some Irish fiddling
It is quite different and unique esp with the Nyah

http://www.gotnyah.net/

A few fiddle tunes *sandwiched around some of the local brews - The music
will even sound better

Also listen to some Scottish fiddle tunes w a few of the local malt
beverages

Fred

The most Irish fiddle I ever heard was in Doolin in the Burrin, and
down the road a bit, painting a river bridge in a fading light. The
music was great, that painting sucked and still does. Must go back and
try it again minus the Guiness. Doolin can be a chiche, but the music
and the crak are real, in the same sence as Preservation Hall in NO,
IMHO anyway. My personal preferance is for Northern Appalachan
mountain music, we used to call it "Old Timey," and friend Jerry's
mandolin was tops, then everyone scattered after BYU. I was a fan, not
a picker. My ax was a tuba, and this is the golden age of tuba, mostly
Mexican. Know anybody with a good used E flat or double B Flat for
sale? ;)

Dave
You ever hear of a band named "Call ever ready," They had a hit titled
"They are trying to take Jesus out of the school room." I think it was
called. Play that sucker 3-4 times and you could get a Unitarian
minister to a KKK rally. Totally politically incorrect, but picken so
fast it sent chills down your spine.

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Clarification: By Northern I mean Virginia- West Virginia mountains.
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article
,
DaveS writes
[...]

Enjoy Wales especially West Wales.

You Mentioned the River Teifi , a beautiful river famous for sea trout
and salmon.

By the way you mentioned Newcastle - you're a long long way from there
if you really mean Newcastle Emlyn.

I live about 50 or so miles east of Cardigan.

Enjoy.
--
Bill Grey

Old June 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article , Fred
writes

On 18-Jun-2009, DaveS wrote:

So I am in Wales, painting and WALKING and Walking and Walking, and
painting. Not fishing but what wonderful country. The River Teifi,
from Aberteifi up thru Newcastle looks like a winner. Oh well, next
time.

Dave

Listen to some Irish fiddling
It is quite different and unique esp with the Nyah

http://www.gotnyah.net/

A few fiddle tunes sandwiched around some of the local brews - The music
will even sound better

Also listen to some Scottish fiddle tunes w a few of the local malt
beverages

Fred

HE's in WALES Fred :-)
--
Bill Grey

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jun 21, 8:24*pm, "W. D. Grey" wrote:

Yes, On the A484, a truely beautiful streach, but scary with all the
curves. Then to Cardigan and North down the A847, mostly a great road.
Its my limited understanding that Wales avoided most of the enclosure
commission efforts so the "B" roads and lessers are the mostly intact
net of the middle ages. Is that more or less the case?

Beautiful grazing country. But tell me this: why so little land
devoted to row crops, grain, peas or alfalfa? A lot of the land looks
tillable, and needy of nitrogen, which the alfalfa and peas (legumes)
fix copiously?

Today hiked a bit of the Coast trail North out of LLangranog. Ran into
some fly fishers headed out to fish the far points of
Ynys- Lochtyn, a high rock stack with a sheep pasture on top, pointing
out into the Irish sea. Friendly folks.Have good sketch and notes for
a painting of the point.

Nos da
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 20:24:04 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

I live about 50 or so miles east of Cardigan.

er...a mere jump away...er, he shouldn't break a sweat...

TC,