Wales is Kool

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

Default Wales is Kool

In article
,
DaveS writes
On Jun 28, 4:34*am, "W. D. Grey" wrote:

ddiolch Bill. I have enjoyed my holiday time in Wales and have been
blown away by its people, countryside and the bit of history Ive
picked up. Then went North to Chester and then Manchester/Bury, the
Lake country, Bronzewood, Ruskindale (;-)) and a bit of Yorkshire
before training down to London. Wales definitely the best. Got enough
in sketches etc for a small show.

Yep I was told that the literary and colloquial Welsh differ greatly.
Also that the regional dialects differ greatly and observed that
pronunciation differed allot just going 20-50 miles or so. But what
impressed me most was the dynamism of the language and what looked to
me like a critical mass of active speakers that point to survival of
this Celtic language in a homogenizing world. Little things like kids
speaking the language at recess on the schoolyard, people bragging
about their kids in college at a Tesco, the capture and modification
of useful foreign technical and cultural words, the adoption of the
language by non-ethnic Welsh in the Welsh language southern Welsh
speaking heartland, etc.

London. What can I say. Never been there before. Impressive but not my
thing. The National Gallery and the British Museum made it worthwhile
for me. Back home now. Wales definitely has me as a booster.

Dave

Glad you like our little spot on the globe.

The various areas are so different. South East Wales is the industrial
belt, West Wales has the lovely coastline, Central or Mid Wales has nice
scenery while North Wales e.g. Snowdonia, has the most beautiful rugged
scenery.

Well done hope your artistic recollections will impress everyone.
--
Bill Grey