$500 Baitcaster

Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:09 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default $500 Baitcaster

"RichZ" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
A guy from South Africa gave the reel a try and threw a backlash of EPIC
proportions

South Africa = South of the Equator. Everything spins the other way there.
Obviously, his counter clockwise muscle movements confused the clockwase
programmed computer.

Well, there ya go! I hadn't thought of that, but it does make sense.....
;-p
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:06 AM
J Buck

A guy from South Africa gave the reel a try and threw a backlash of
EPIC proportions

South Africa = South of the Equator. Everything spins the other way
there. Obviously, his counter clockwise muscle movements confused the
clockwase programmed computer

Great explanation! LoL

Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:05 AM
Josh

Kurt,
It was just a local shop on Plainfield road north west of Louis Joliet
Mall, Strictly Fishing, You from the area ?

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:35 PM
Jack Dalzell Jr.

Josh wrote:

Now it does have a set back in that the retrieve is slow.. like
a 5:1 or something like that. A great crankbait reel though because you
could throw the thing into the next county.

Josh,
This is a misconception that most anlgers have. The ability of the
reel to retreive at high speeds is only partially dependant on the gear
ratio. Spool size, line diameter, handle length, etc all play a part.
What you really need to pay attention to is the line retreived per
handle revolution. Using Shimano as the example, their Calcutta 150
lists a gear ratio of 5.8:1, the Calcutta 250 as 5.0:1 and the Calcutta
50 as 5.0:1. If you just look at these numbers, you expect the 150 to be
faster than both the 250 and the 50. And you'd also expect the 250 and
50 to be the same right? Well, the 150 and 250 both retreive 23" of line
per handle revolution (faster than a Curado 5.0:1) while the 50
retreives a snail like 16" per handle revolution making it an awesome
crankbait reel. The Calcutta TE DC that you are talking about also
retreives 23" per handle revolution.
Jack

~~
Jack Dalzell
http://secretweaponlures.com/jdbass/jdhome.htm

Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:34 PM
KurtB

Yep. I live next to the South Elgin Dam on the Fox river (almost
literally), and my job takes me all over the chicago land area.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:49 PM
BrooklynBill

"Jack Dalzell Jr." wrote in message ...
Josh wrote:

[...]

I HAVE THEM I USE THEM, FOR BOUT 7 MONTHS NOW. DC JAPAN THAT IS, IF
YOUR PAYING $500.00 + THATS TO MUCH. LUV THEM SELL THEM CAN'T KEEP
ENOUGH IN STOCK. TRUST ME THEY R SELLING VERY WELL. WOULD YOU TELL
ANYONE YOU SPENT $500.00 ON A FISHING REEL NOT ME I GUESS I DID MY
LONGEST CAST TO DATE IS BOUT 70+ YRDS AND THATS BEFORE STRECHING.
GOOD SOLID QAULITY REEL, IS IT FOR EVERYONE NO IT IS NOT BUT ONCE YOU
THROW IT A FEW TIMES YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND OUT YOURSELF.

BROOKLYN BILL
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Josh

Jack, thanks for the really excellent information. Never knew what you just
advised of. Always thought all were the same via the ratio listed. Thanks
again.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old January 26th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Josh

Well they closed the Ed Shirley story down by us and left little for fishing
tackle shop. Plan to get up that way this springtime. You n me n Illinois
Fisherman should hit the water some time. My aol email address is
or and soon will have new one. Private
Detective Agency site under construction. Drop a note any time.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old January 27th, 2004, 12:18 AM
ñKs

So you are buying one..;-)

"Josh" wrote in message
Crown, lol he let me off with the promise I'll bring my business to his
shop.. told him I'd see him Sat morn. lol.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old January 27th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Kurt Bimler

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:05:08 -0600, "Josh"
wrote:

Well they closed the Ed Shirley story down by us and left little for fishing
tackle shop. Plan to get up that way this springtime. You n me n Illinois
Fisherman should hit the water some time. My aol email address is
or and soon will have new one. Private
Detective Agency site under construction. Drop a note any time.

Sounds like a good time - of course with the 1-6 inches of snow that
is on the way, I am starting to think the water will never thaw...

Kurt