Lake Creek, AK

Old April 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Default Lake Creek, AK

I'm going to float Lake Creek in Alaska in early July, mainly targeting
kings.

Has anyone in ROFF floated Lake Creek? Any tips?

Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:22:59 -0600, rw
wrote:

I'm going to float Lake Creek in Alaska in early July, mainly targeting
kings.

Has anyone in ROFF floated Lake Creek? Any tips?

Interesting.

/daytripper (verrrrry interesting)
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie Wilson

"rw" wrote:
I'm going to float Lake Creek in Alaska in early July, mainly targeting
kings.

Has anyone in ROFF floated Lake Creek? Any tips?

I did last summer; we used an outfitter http://www.bigdavesabl.com/ who
took care of everything. A few tips come to mind:
1. Watch out for the bears, they bite.
2. You can't have enough bug juice.
3. Take blinders; I never got a good night of sleep.
4. Wear whatever wading boots you can run in, but you still won't
have enough backing.
5. Take your own hooch or a suitcase full of money.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Charlie Wilson wrote:
"rw" wrote:

I'm going to float Lake Creek in Alaska in early July, mainly targeting
kings.

Has anyone in ROFF floated Lake Creek? Any tips?

I did last summer; we used an outfitter http://www.bigdavesabl.com/ who
took care of everything. A few tips come to mind:
1. Watch out for the bears, they bite.
2. You can't have enough bug juice.
3. Take blinders; I never got a good night of sleep.
4. Wear whatever wading boots you can run in, but you still won't
have enough backing.
5. Take your own hooch or a suitcase full of money.

Thanks for the info, Charlie. I'd forgotten that you fished Lake Creek
last year.

This is going to be a private trip -- 2 rafts, 6 people -- but two of
the guys I'm going with have guided on Lake Creek for several years.
They haven't flyfished for kings, though. They and their clients use
spinning and baitcasting gear.

My heaviest "conventional" rod is a very fast Sage RPLXi 9wt which I
don't think will be suitable for big kings, although I also have a beefy
spey rod that I'll probably take along. It looks like I'll have the
chance to buy more gear. :-) My Alaska fishing book recommends a
slow-action 10wt or 11wt. Any opinions about that?

Please don't recommend a 3wt with a 10wt shooting head. :-)

Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Apr 2, 12:09 pm, rw wrote:

My Alaska fishing book recommends a
slow-action 10wt or 11wt. Any opinions about that?

Winston used to sell a line of rods they called the BL5. Salt water
rods with verry sof actions. If you could find one on the used market
that sounds like it would be just the rod you need.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJConner

On Apr 2, 9:21 am, "Wayne Knight" wrote:
On Apr 2, 12:09 pm, rw wrote:

My Alaska fishing book recommends a
slow-action 10wt or 11wt. Any opinions about that?

Winston used to sell a line of rods they called the BL5. Salt water
rods with verry sof actions. If you could find one on the used market
that sounds like it would be just the rod you need.

Spend the big bucks and buy a 10wt Ugly Stick fly rod. Get some old
movies of the commercial tuna fisherman when they used 1, 2 or 3
bamboo poles to catch tuna ( before they were all netted). Your
fishing is going to be more like that than your favorite trout
stream. Even those s_ _ __ y ugly sticks work better than a broken
Winston.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:09:31 -0600, rw
wrote:

Charlie Wilson wrote:
"rw" wrote:

[...]

FWIW, RW, I took a few Kings on an 8 weight. Really should have been
a heavier rod, so I bet your 9 weight RPLXi should suffice.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie Wilson

"rw" wrote'
My heaviest "conventional" rod is a very fast Sage RPLXi 9wt which I don't
think will be suitable for big kings, although I also have a beefy spey
rod that I'll probably take along. It looks like I'll have the chance to
buy more gear. :-) My Alaska fishing book recommends a slow-action 10wt or
11wt. Any opinions about that?

All I used was a 9wt with a conventional fly reel and I caught a bunch
of kings with it. The one piece of gear I will pick up before I go back is
an anti reverse reel. When a king takes, your reel goes from 0 rpm to about
90,000 rpm, way faster than you can get your hand out of the way. I returned
home with my left thumb nail split all the way down the middle, and the
knuckles on my left hand are still stiff when I first wake up.

Old April 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Charlie Wilson" wrote in message
. ..

"rw" wrote'
My heaviest "conventional" rod is a very fast Sage RPLXi 9wt which I
don't think will be suitable for big kings, although I also have a beefy
spey rod that I'll probably take along. It looks like I'll have the
chance to buy more gear. :-) My Alaska fishing book recommends a
slow-action 10wt or 11wt. Any opinions about that?

All I used was a 9wt with a conventional fly reel and I caught a bunch
of kings with it. The one piece of gear I will pick up before I go back is
an anti reverse reel. When a king takes, your reel goes from 0 rpm to
about 90,000 rpm, way faster than you can get your hand out of the way. I
returned home with my left thumb nail split all the way down the middle,
and the knuckles on my left hand are still stiff when I first wake up.

Agree, the Kings do take off like a rocket. When I caught my first King in
Alaska,
last year, I was so used to having my fingers on the line hand from the
grayling,
and trout, that I actually got a line-burn when the King made a run.

My friend used a Winston BL5 9wt, I used a TFO (Pro) 10wt. We've landed
quite a few Kings under 40 lbs. without a problem.
-tom