Vintage Bamboo Rods.

Old May 1st, 2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
williemcd

Default Vintage Bamboo Rods.

Hello all, I posted a while back about unloading some of my gear but I
neglected to let ya know that I'm a long time member of this group but
under a different name. My old s/n was bilbonme@aol.
Well, I posted a F/S of a rod prob 75 y/o. I got a query from someone
about make and model. I could only see a manufacturing stamp
indicating Southbend and then I noticed a stamp on the reel seat which
said" Single CROSS Built". The guy the queried me thought that was a
key issue on it's value. So, what does Single CROSS Built mean?

Bill McDonald
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On May 1, 6:52 pm, williemcd wrote:
Hello all, I posted a while back about unloading some of my gear but I
neglected to let ya know that I'm a long time member of this group but
under a different name. My old s/n was bilbonme@aol.
Well, I posted a F/S of a rod prob 75 y/o. I got a query from someone
about make and model. I could only see a manufacturing stamp
indicating Southbend and then I noticed a stamp on the reel seat which
said" Single CROSS Built". The guy the queried me thought that was a
key issue on it's value. So, what does Single CROSS Built mean?

Bill McDonald

A little info on South Bend Rods:

Cross was a rodmaker at SB, and had a separate line of rods in the SB
catalog. Prior to his days at SB he made rods on his own.
Single is a little more vague. The classes af rods at SB were
identified by numbers . A single number denoted all purpose economy
rods, (I think), Two numbers indicated a bass rod, three numbers a
trout rod. So "single" could mean this rod belonged to the first
group, and built by Cross, or it could mean a single tip rod built by
Cross. SB rods are readily available on eBay and elsewhere, and prices
range from aroun $50 to $500, depending on model and condition.

BTW, Google is your friend.....I didn't know a damn thing about SB
rods until five minutes ago. If you want to dig deeper, Google "South
+Bend+Bamboo", and go through all the links.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie Wilson

"williemcd" wrote:
Hello all, I posted a while back about unloading some of my gear but I
neglected to let ya know that I'm a long time member of this group but
under a different name. My old s/n was bilbonme@aol.
Well, I posted a F/S of a rod prob 75 y/o. I got a query from someone
about make and model. I could only see a manufacturing stamp
indicating Southbend and then I noticed a stamp on the reel seat which
said" Single CROSS Built". The guy the queried me thought that was a
key issue on it's value. So, what does Single CROSS Built mean?

South Bend acquired the Cross Rod Company (headed by Wes Jordan) in an
attempt to upgrade their image. Any South Bend rod with Cross markings
would have been produced between 1926 and 1941. South Bend did not mark all
of their rods during that period as Cross, just the upper end. "Single
built" means each section was conventional construction with six pieces of
bamboo; double built rods were six sided with twelve pieces of bamboo, in
order to use a maximum amount of outside fibers.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
williemcd

On May 1, 9:47*pm, "Charlie Wilson" wrote:
"williemcd" wrote:
[...]

Damn. I've never would have anticipated such a well informed
response.. Tks for all of the insite.. Bill
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
trout48

what size and how many piece rod would it be and would you be interested
in sellingit. thank you Nick

--
trout48
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
williemcd

On May 2, 5:46*am, trout48 wrote:
what size and how many piece rod would it be and would you be interested
in sellingit. thank you Nick

--
trout48

The rod is 8.5 ft, 3 piece with an extra tip. Condition is very good.
Photo is on ebay. Bill