Fly Fishing History 1A

Old November 13th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Tim Carter

Default Fly Fishing History 1A

Did you archive GG posts? If so, I'd point out that his style wasn't

all
that well received back when.

HTH

Op --If there weren't so many loverly people postin', I'd still

bother.--

An observation no less astute for the likelihood that it is shared.

Wolfgang
who should, perhaps, be bracing for another decent into the maelstrom?

My Compubox shows Mr. Kiene throwing out the first thinly veiled jab. I'd
have just let him tire himself on some paper tigers, but, he did ask for it.

As far as the Mustad hooks go, The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference mentions
that pinching a barb down perpendicular to the hook increases the risk of
breaking the tip and suggests pinching the barb parallel to the hook;
inserting the hook only deep enough in the pliers' jaws to cover hook spear.

Old November 13th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Stan Gula

"Willi" wrote in message

PS You can get "no Name" brands of Japanese hooks for less than Mustads.

Willi

Willi, are you talking about Targus? That's the only brand I've seen here
in New England. I went through a couple of 50 packs last winter, all dry
fly hooks. In general I liked them, but about 10% of them had burrs on the
shank that caused a lot of thread breakage until I figured out what was
going on. Not a fatal problem, I just had to be careful and if I found a
burr I hit it with a fine file and was careful about putting down a thread
layer.

--Stan

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:00 AM
RDL

Boy, don't you just love this, Bill posts great information, but gets flamed
for it most every time. If I were him, I wouldn't bother either.

Richard

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Tim Carter

"RDL" wrote in message
Boy, don't you just love this, Bill posts great information, but gets

flamed
for it most every time. If I were him, I wouldn't bother either.

Richard

I think his post was great information as well. I think the ending comments
of "For every dumb ego driven misinformed comment I get about my posts" was
inviting a dust up, but maybe I'm just a wee bit sensitive to it right now.
'Course, it's easily understandable why he might feel the need to come out
swinging; sure woulda been nice to see some people take the high road. Oh
well, maybe next time.

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Willi

Stan Gula wrote:

"Willi" wrote in message

PS You can get "no Name" brands of Japanese hooks for less than Mustads.

Willi

Willi, are you talking about Targus? That's the only brand I've seen here
in New England. I went through a couple of 50 packs last winter, all dry
fly hooks. In general I liked them, but about 10% of them had burrs on the
shank that caused a lot of thread breakage until I figured out what was
going on. Not a fatal problem, I just had to be careful and if I found a
burr I hit it with a fine file and was careful about putting down a thread
layer.

--Stan

Here's the cheapest I've found with most styles around $5.00 a 100.

http://www.freewebs.com/flysupplies/hooks.html

There's others around from $7 to $9 a hundred. Quality seems the same
among the one's I've tried. Not quite as good as Tiemco, DaiiChi, or
DaiRiki, but close.

Willi

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Willi

From: Willi

Willi, I've been using the Mustad 94859 straight ring eye hook in #20 - #26
since I was first able to get them, sometime in the seventies. I make two
simple modifications to them. First, I pinch down the barb, and second, when
the hook is in the vise, I bend the shank slightly to one side to give it a
slight offset. (appr 20 deg.) I have used other brands in the same sizes, and
really have noticed no difference in hooking frequency. The small tailwater
near my home is a prolific midge producer, so I fish midges a lot.

I haven't tried any of the "no name" brands yet, so I can't comment on them,
but I'll likeley pick some up over the winter. The ones I saw on the net didn't
come in midges sizes, though.

We're just going to disagree on this one. I know the hook and I used
them before I was able to get Japanese hooks. They were a standard for
South Platte midge flies.

For me, the wire on the Mustads is too heavy and is brittle. I think the
heavier wire makes for less easy penetration. They also aren't very
sharp. With sharpening, MAYBE you could get the Mustads to be as sharp.
Good hookups are hard on tiny flies and another nickel a fly for better
performance is worth it to me.

For a straight shanked midge hook I especially like Tiemco 501's. It's a
short shanked hook and a size 20 hook ties a size 22 fly. That extra
gape helps alot, IMO.

Willi

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Wayne Knight

"RDL" wrote in message
Boy, don't you just love this, Bill posts great information, but gets

flamed
for it most every time. If I were him, I wouldn't bother either.

What the hell was great about it? For once he implied he had an opinion
about what he sold which is an improvement. But as subsequent posts have
pointed the folly and the age old tale of opinions being like assholes. We
know only that Bill dislikes Mustad hooks, likes Japanese hooks, and he gets
email. Oh yea, he apparently thinks that if one disagrees with him, one
might probably be an asshole.

A friend of mine whom I have been told by others that Perkins (of Orvis)
once credited with starting the mail order fly fishing business hates
Billy's precious little Sage rods, primarily for their "image marketing"
and claims when they first came out were very prone to breakage. Obviously
that's not their current reputation. Or at least you don't see Bill talking
about it.

Personally I've had just about every type of hook I've ever used break at
least once when I was pinching barbs.

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Wolfgang

"RDL" wrote in message
Boy, don't you just love this, Bill posts great information, but gets

flamed
for it most every time. If I were him, I wouldn't bother either.

Oh, horse****. For the past several months now, he's thrown down the
gauntlet with nearly every post while simultaneously whining about the
demise of The Great American Dream......making a living without working for
it. This teary-eyed crap about the death of small business is as saccharine
as it is asinine, and it's been going on since the dawn of history.
Meanwhile, there are millions of successful small businesses all over
America, as there are all over the rest of the world. The attrition rate is
high, but it has always been, and not only in small business. So what?
Independently owned fly shops? How does the number today compare with that
of .....say, thirty years ago? Think it's a tough way to make a living?
Try picking tobacco or pouring steel. Go to Dayton and build tires.....if
you can find a job. Or hell, move to Kenya and tie flies. ****ing bunch of
spoiled cry baby weak tits in this country are enough to make me puke.

If the guy wants to come unraveled in a public forum, that's his business.
It may be sad to watch, but there's nothing anyone here can do about
it......well, that's not quite true.....his "friends" COULD say something to
him in private about trying to maintain a semblance of dignity, but that
isn't going to happen, is it? We've seen it before.....it's ugly, but it's
no worse than all of us have to look forward to in one way or another in our
own time, and no one is forcing him to make a spectacle of himself.

If I had friends like Bill has....and George had....I'd hope that one of
them would have the decency to shoot me.....but I'd hope in vain.

Wolfgang