Some fishing, some farming

Old September 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default Some fishing, some farming

Was out on the Touchet last week for 5 days. Headed back ASAP. Fished
most mornings and evenings. Water levels up a bit as some of the
irrigation on the forks stops. Driving around Ive noticed some water
seeping back in the draws and my wheat farmer neighbor says yes, and
that they got a bit of a recharge up on the rolling paloose. Temps
still seem up a bit , and the fish still are clustered more than usual
below the oxiginated riffles. Caught many 6-8 inch cutts and a few
"rainbows" 8" to 10" or so. All on small stimulators in hopper tones.
Most interesting was dragging a 4" weighted black bunny leach thru a
few choice larger holes below riffles, fished with a steelie leader
and a 1x tippet, In one of these I had wild assed grabs 2 evenings in
a row and breakoffs. Ive had this happen in warm water from turtles
but I am pretty sure these were fish. I am pretty sure the Dolly
Vardens, which do wildassed grabs to perfection, are absent from my
streatch of river. So my fantacies run to monster browns. We shall
see.

On the farm groupie side of things, we pulled the irrigation pump and
boom pipe out of the river, moved then picked up the pipe off the
alfalfa. Picking up 40 foot long, sun hot pipe at 66 years is more
than enough to put my farmer fantacy jones back in its box. The
swather was leaving too much so I helped replace some of the cutter
blades, and the fields got cut. The humidity and sun were such that
this 4th and final cutting was put up in 700lb bales 3 days later. My
lessee is tarping and holding most of this year's crop till prices
pick up. Most of the livestock has been moved to his new place in
Oregon and i notice the coyotes are getting more nervy at nite near
the few hogs that are left.

With this last alfalfa crop we are shifting to fall sown, dryland hard
red wheat. Should be a good crop because the field is moist and has
lots of nitrogen from the alfalfa. Things look good on leasing the
water right to keep the water in the river. Ive also made some
progress on marking out where some lines of hybrid poplar will go to
cool down some dry pasture and where there is enough soil on some rock
scabby areas to support survival of some more ponderosa pine. Ill wait
till first snow fall to seed some wild wheat grass into the CREP
strips. Its a small place, but the river front is 1/2 mile. If half of
what i plan and do works, it will make a difference in summer river
temps and keep at least 70af in the stream at a critical time. Anyway
this is much more than ROFFians would want to know but for some
weirdness I do enjoy sharing these farming groupie and amature
conservation experiences.

Old September 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

Shoot, Dave, with all the misspelled words, typing/punctuation errors,
the net nanny herself, Tom L., will be on your ass!

Good read, btw.

d;o)

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"David LaCourse" wrote in message
Shoot, Dave, with all the misspelled words, typing/punctuation errors, the
net nanny herself, Tom L., will be on your ass!

Good read, btw.

didn't even occur to me. I tend toward slips that inadvertently read in a
humorous fashion. I'll leave plain old typos to others. Good read for me, as
well, David.
Tom

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

DaveS wrote:
[...]

Dave

Nice stuff, Dave. Reminded me of some of the stuff I enjoyed and miss of
farming. I was not a big fan of moving pipe. I was very myopic and
evidently couldn't see straight so when I was done moving a line of pipe
it had a curve in it. The curve was always exactly the same so my dad
made sure that I alway changed the pipe in the same fields so they would
get watered evenly. Seemed to work.

I really enjoyed swathing hay and was fussy about it. Whenever I broke a
section in the knife I always stopped and fixed it immediately. I
couldn't stand seeing those lines of uncut hay in the field. We only had
to buck 70 lb bales of hay. Those 700 pounders would have been a killer.

Thanks for the read.

Russell
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_2_]

"David LaCourse" wrote in message
Shoot, Dave, with all the misspelled words, typing/punctuation errors, the
net nanny herself, Tom L., will be on your ass!

Good read, btw.

d;o)

.. , . ? / " " ' ; [ ] { : - _ ) * ( & ^ % $ 3 @ ! . /

Insert where necessary...

John

Old September 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 10-Sep-2009, "Russell D." wrote:

DaveS wrote:
[...]

Same here re the read.

You may be a bit ahead of me in utilizing your land
We have some open pasture land and more
I would like to utilize my biomass more - We also have a breeding lake
and access to it for some animals

I buy 1200 lb round bales as the 5ft high bales fit perfectly in the hay
shed.
We did seed part of a pasture w a dry seed mix last yr - 1 acre - was good
w a little itrrigation next year - 5 acres
Without major irrigation pumps thats it for us

TMI for Roff

Jorge Posada
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

DaveS wrote:
[...]

Jorge Posada- Hide quoted text -

I am a gross amature but . . . if your animals can eat it, alfalfa
looks like a good way to go if your field is fairly flat. Cows like
it, and some horses. High in protein. Hogs seem to eat it too. My
lessee gets all kinds of bruised stuff from the market, as well as
over date stuff from the dairy distributer, delivered year round.
Waste wheat, garbanzo etc. Sells whole and half butchered/wrapped hogs
and beef direct. The taste is amazing.

Old September 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Sep 10, 3:50*pm, "Russell D." wrote:
DaveS wrote:
[...]

Russell- Hide quoted text -

As you know the big bales are handled and stacked by machine. A while
back i saw an article on these mini balers made in Italy and Japan. i
think they went down to 20lb rolled bales. Cute but I can't imagine
the level of subsidy that would make such things practical. I do
understand that the 70lbers are prefered by the horsey people.

Old September 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Amature too, though grew up with pipe on my shoulder and humping bales
for the dairy cattle. Flashbacks of bone crushing days where a 14
year old could burn through 10,000 calories in a day 'cause after
feeding the dry cows, I went to swim team, school, swim team and then
milking (during school I didn't milk) and work till dark, then did
homework.
Just had to cut my prairie restoration as the neighbors determined it
didn't meet the "neat and tidy" clause in the covenents. Whats up
with friggen covenents anyway? Just a way nosey neighbors can get
into your business.
Frank Reid
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid wrote:
snip
Just had to cut my prairie restoration as the neighbors determined it
didn't meet the "neat and tidy" clause in the covenents.

Here in Urbana if someone starts "prairie restoration" the city
will send a warning and if you're still too lazy to mow the lawn
the city will mow it for you and send you a bill for $500.

Whats up
with friggen covenents anyway? Just a way nosey neighbors can get
into your business.

Well, if your business involves an old washer, dryer and tireless
pickup truck on blocks rusting away in your front yard I'd say
your neighbors should have a right to make you clean up your yard.

--
Ken Fortenberry