Hackle gauge

Old November 12th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Bill C

Default Hackle gauge

Does anyone know where I can find a printable copy of a hackle gauge.

Thanks
Bill

Old November 14th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Thomas Schreiber

"Bill C" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone know where I can find a printable copy of a hackle gauge.

Thanks
Bill

Why you need one of those? When you bend your hackle around the hook, the
fibres should have the same length as the hookgap. No rules without
exceptions, but thats a good rule of thumb.

--

Tight lines
Thomas Schreiber - DK

http://schreiber.se

Old November 14th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Thomas Littleton

"Thomas Schreiber" wrote in message
Bill

Why you need one of those? When you bend your hackle around the hook, the
fibres should have the same length as the hookgap. No rules without
exceptions, but thats a good rule of thumb.

Tight lines
Thomas Schreiber - DK

And there are those who would state that(at least for dry flies) that the
hackle should be 1 1/2 times the length of the hookgap. Some Catskill tyers
actually use closer to a 2X size. Hence, gauges are, at best, rough
estimators of size needed, to be varied with the style and pattern of fly
tied.
Tom

Old November 14th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Thomas Schreiber

"Thomas Littleton" wrote in message

"Thomas Schreiber" wrote in message
Bill

Why you need one of those? When you bend your hackle around the hook, the
fibres should have the same length as the hookgap. No rules without
exceptions, but thats a good rule of thumb.

Tight lines
Thomas Schreiber - DK

And there are those who would state that(at least for dry flies) that the
hackle should be 1 1/2 times the length of the hookgap. Some Catskill
tyers
actually use closer to a 2X size. Hence, gauges are, at best, rough
estimators of size needed, to be varied with the style and pattern of fly
tied.
Tom

You dont know what this sentence means : "No rules without exceptions" ?!?!?

--

Tight lines
Thomas Schreiber - DK

http://schreiber.se

Old November 14th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Larry L

"Bill C" wrote

I have a hackle gauge I bought mounted on my vise ..
but
I almost never use it. I use a hook the size I'm tying with, mount it in
the vise and bend the hackle around the hook and use the gap as a gauge ....
as per the other posts.

I set down to do 10 or 20 flies at a time ( I can't wrap my mind around
workng in 'dozens" since hooks come in hundreds and my fly boxes hold rows
of 10 in most sizes ) and pick off enough feathers for that many before
starting the first one. This is just like laying out all the materials and
greatly speeds production.

Oh, how many gaps is the 'right' size? Varies from tie to tie, for me.

Old November 14th, 2004, 04:27 PM
bones

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:52:42 GMT, "Bill C"
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a printable copy of a hackle gauge.

Thanks
Bill

For what brand hook?........:-).. also, the aspect ratio of reprinted
matter may vary.
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM
John

Stan made me giggle when he said:

FWIW, I size my hackles on a gauge. When I'm pulling them off the skin (I
only do as many as I'm using), if I get any that are bigger or smaller than
I want, I put them in a labelled baggie that I keep in the bag with the neck
for future use. When I want to tie some size 14s and I find 4 already sized
hackles, I feel like somebody gave me a present...

John
--
Remove FLY to reply