OT?... Gap, generation? cultural? give me a Clue

Old December 14th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Larry L

Default OT?... Gap, generation? cultural? give me a Clue

This has been bothering me for over a month, and I don't know of anywhere
I'm more likely to find the answers I seek than here in .. ah... here

I stopped subscribing to any FF magazines about 10 years ago and seldom see
one, but on my last trip of the season to Hot Creek I was sidelined by car
troubles. Sitting in the repair shop for hours got old and I walked into
Mammoth and bought a couple FF mags. As I remembered they were 97%
advertising, 3% the same old **** rehashed

BUT

I was stuck by the Scott ad ... the one of a kid in a chaotically cluttered
room, apparently asleep after downing a few pricey beers and suggestively
stroking his "rod" ... zero, not one word, product information ... just
Scott's name ... clearly meant as an "image ad"

The same mag had one for Simms ( I believe ) where a guy was fishing in the
snow, in a very beautiful place ... it too had no product information and
was what I call "image advertising" That is, the implied message is " if
you buy our **** you can insert yourself into this cool picture"

The Simms ad I "get" ... I love to "see myself" tough enough and lucky
enough to be out fishing is that gorgeous place in the snow ... and I might
fall for the ploy and buy the product.

The Scott ad, however, is totally beyond me.

That is where roff comes in. IF that ad makes you want to own a Scott
rod and "be in the picture" please tell me why ... I'm clueless about what
is appealing ... indeed I find the ad repelling ( I love both my Scott rods,
though ) ... much as the Carl's Jr ads of slightly vulgar and common types
dripping food all over themselves repels rather than attracts me.... I do
NOT want to "be in that picture"

I honestly don't know if this is a generation gap thing ( Scott is spending
BIG bucks running the ad, so the ad must "work" ) or if the "culture" of
modern fly fishing has greatly changed, and what repels people of my nature,
that seek calmness, peace, and Nature from FF, attracts those spending the
bucks ..... or what, ..... but I AM very curious ... and eager to hear what
others see in the Scott ad to make it attractive

... it makes me want to hide my Scott rods G

Old December 14th, 2003, 12:51 AM
Willi

Larry L wrote:

This has been bothering me for over a month, and I don't know of anywhere
I'm more likely to find the answers I seek than here in .. ah... here

The Scott ad, however, is totally beyond me.

You're getting old Larry!

Willi

Old December 14th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Dave LaCourse

Larry L. writes:

snip

[...]

If it's the add I am thinking about, it reminds me of many roffians at many
different claves. Although no one I know besides Peter sleeps with his rod,
the picture you describe, if I remember it correctly, is a man asleep on a
make-shift bed (cot) with one or two cases of beer (Heineken?) on the floor in
what is obviously a fishing camp. Seems like he is not drunk, but asleep
happily after catching many fish with his wonderful Scott rod. Sorta roffian,
actually.

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old December 14th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Wolfgang

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
Larry L. writes:

snip

[...]

Having met many ROFFians at many different claves I can tell you for a fact
it that don't matter worth a damn which ad you're talking about. It ain't
the guys sleeping with their OWN rods you got to worry about!

Wolfgang
sick *******s.

Old December 14th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Chas Wade

"Larry L" wrote:
....snip...

Long ago I worked for an advertising agency, and learned something
about this stuff. Advertising campaigns are based on "reach" and
"frequency". You want to reach as large a percentage of the target
market as practical, and have them see the ads as frequently as
possible. A picture that catches the eye and makes you stop long
enough to read the name of the manufacturer is a success. Other ads
will describe the products and hook you on the goodies.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Old December 14th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Big Dale

Larry wrote:snipThe Scott ad, however, is totally beyond me.

I kind of like several of the ads that Scott has done thru the years. The
poster that I keep in the office at the house ( and is looking down on me as I
write this) is the ones of the two guys walking back from the stream in their
waders and vests and carrying fly rods and the guy on the right has this big
****-eating grin on his face. I also like the one of the biker on his Harley
springes softtail with the little girl on the back of the bike and a Scott rod
cast sticking out of the saddlebag. I have not seen tha ad you are talking
about, but I think I would like it as well. No one is going to get any of my
Scott G-series 3 weight rods from me.

Big Dale
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Larry L wrote:

That is where roff comes in. IF that ad makes you want to own a Scott
rod and "be in the picture" please tell me why ... I'm clueless about what
is appealing

Scott rod owners are crazy about fishing?

Scott's advertising has been kooky before as well. I believe I had a
catalog from them where there was a psychedelic underwater photo of a
permit with the words "are you experienced?" in an attempt to evoke the
flower power generation.

Mu
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Larry L

"Wayne Harrison" wrote

i think you need to hit the yellow pages under "psychiatrists".

i mean, if the scott ads, no matter their implications, truly disturb
you,

hehe, I'll consider that

I said bothered, not "disturbed" G and I am usually bothered by things I
don't understand, aren't you?

Old December 14th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Larry L

"Chas Wade" wrote

possible. A picture that catches the eye and makes you stop long
enough to read the name of the manufacturer is a success.

Anyone in business has both satisfied customers and ... the other type G
.... when people would mention " he said some nasty things about you" ...
relative to my dog training biz I'd reply, " I don't care what they say, as
long as they mention my name." Is this the same idea?

My question about the Scott pic really revolves around the fact that if that
were a real picture of ME I'd want to burn it, certainly never show it to
fly fishers I respect .... it's "feel" is opposite of the "feel" that I seek
from FF

Dave's interpretation as "fishing lodge, successful day" is something I
never got looking at it. ( If the lodge is that messy, I hope it is damn
cheap :-) But, if a high % of guys see the ad as Dave suggests, then the
ad
"makes sense" .... however Dave's view cements my past decision to avoid
claves G

BTW, I have a lifelong history of interest in such things, not advertising
per se, but communication and media. In college I had a professor that
was nearly obsessed with speculating what changes in media were going to do
to WHAT we think. Bucky Fuller was on campus one year, got interested in
the "experimental college" I was in, and I spent the most exciting year+ of
my life building "media domes"
and studying and thinking about the powers and limitations of various
media, meshing the inputs of these two men on my young brain

Anyway, I have a kind of hobby of thinking about such things, to this day.
Example, one reason I still show up here is because I find it interesting to
observe how this media affects the content of what can be and is,
communicated ..... another example, I think much of the recent ( 15 years or
so ) shift in political lean is simply because, in general, "the
conservative" message is better suited to sound bite media than the other
side's ...

When I see an odd or "different" attempt at communication that I
don't "get" it stirs an intellectual need to find out more ....

thanks for your answer

Old December 14th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Mike Connor

"Larry L" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

SNIP
When I see an odd or "different" attempt at communication that I
don't "get" it stirs an intellectual need to find out more ....

SNIP

If one is not in the "target group" then many advertisements simply donīt
make much sense. Advertising has generally got to the stage where very
many people realise that they are being manipulated in some way, but they
rarely know just how.

Even the "informative" ads are so full of hype, that they rarely make any
real sense. This is also exacerbated by the fact that the manufacturers,
through there advertising companies, psychologists etc, play on the
ignorance of their target groups. All sorts of arrant nonsense and pseudo
science is used in these endeavours. Apparently, it works far better than
just giving the facts in a sensible manner. Not least, because a large
section of the target group is not in a position to understand these in any
case, and is actually far more impressed by the hype.

For many firms, simply the exposure of their names to a particular sector of
the public seems to satisfy them. If this can be done in such a way that
the name "sticks", then this is of course very successful. As you and others
mentioned, as long as this recollection is not strongly negative, then it
works simply because one recognises the name, and for no other reason.

It can also boomerang to some extent. Due to massive advertising, the name
"Hoover" came to be synonymous with "vacuum cleaner". Other phrases,
jingles and catchwords from advertising capaigns have in the meantime become
part of the various languages in which they were produced. In many cases
without people even noticing.

Interesting to note, that the effect of the ad you mention, was strong
enough to make you think quite a lot about it! This too is manipulation.

TL
MC