Hooks for newbie

Old December 4th, 2003, 01:52 PM
JR

Default Hooks for newbie

Stan Gula wrote:

"JR" wrote in message
Stan Gula wrote:
Pretty much why I buy my TMC barbless hooks from Kaufmann's, by the
100s.

The next time I'm in Kaufmann's I'll remember to buy hooks theng.

Kaufmann's, which is a real bricks-and-mortar local fly shop BTW, is a
truly modern outfit: they began some time ago to use this U.S. Postal
Service thingy (you have that back East?). g

JR
Old December 4th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Flyguy

"JR" wrote in message

Kaufmann's, which is a real bricks-and-mortar local fly shop BTW, is a
truly modern outfit: they began some time ago to use this U.S. Postal
Service thingy (you have that back East?). g

JR

US Postal service???? I don't think you should discuss fad trends in
technology here. US Postal Service will never last! We tried something like
that in Canada a few years ago, I think it went under in six months!
wink

Reed, congratulations on your discovery of the best hobby in the history of
hobbies.
Stan, wow great list and web pages...thanks! I have been tying for only a
year now, I wish I had thought to post that question when I started!
Without Starting a war here...CAN I get a consensus of what brands of hooks
most people use?
Flyguy
Ont.CAN

Old December 4th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Flyguy wrote:
Without Starting a war here...CAN I get a consensus of what brands of hooks
most people use?

You'll get a consensus among fly fishermen just as soon as the
temperature in Hades drops below 32F. ;-)

But I use Mustad anymore.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old December 4th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Stan Gula

"JR" wrote in message

The next time I'm in Kaufmann's I'll remember to buy hooks theng.

Kaufmann's, which is a real bricks-and-mortar local fly shop BTW, is a
truly modern outfit: they began some time ago to use this U.S. Postal
Service thingy (you have that back East?). g

JR

You're assuming I am organized and logical about buying my tying supplies.

Old December 5th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Hooked

"Flyguy" wrote in message
. ..

Without Starting a war here...CAN I get a consensus of what brands of

hooks
most people use?
Flyguy
Ont.CAN

I use Tiemco.

I bought a bunch of Mustad Salmon hooks last year trying to save money over
the TMC's.

H u u u u u g e mistake.

Presentation flies I tie on Daiichi's Alec Jackson Spey Fly hooks. (They are
too expensive for me to fish with.)

Old December 5th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Flyguy

I bought a bunch of Mustad Salmon hooks last year trying to save money

over
the TMC's.

H u u u u u g e mistake.

What was the issue with those hooks? I was told by a shop owner that the

Black coated Mustad hooks need to be sharpened. Was that part of the issue?

Presentation flies I tie on Daiichi's Alec Jackson Spey Fly hooks. (They are
too expensive for me to fish with.)

What is it about the Daiichi's that you like for presentation, as opposed

to the Mustad or TMC's?

FlyGuy
Ont, CAN

Old December 5th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Hooked

"Flyguy" wrote in message

What was the issue with those hooks? I was told by a shop owner that the
Black coated Mustad hooks need to be sharpened. Was that part of the

issue?

What is it about the Daiichi's that you like for presentation, as opposed
to the Mustad or TMC's?

FlyGuy
Ont, CAN

The Mustad hooks have a cheap black painted coating that peels off after
being put in the vise. I find that very cheap. The fact that they must be
sharpened is an understatement. That paint has to be cleaned off first, then
they have to be re-honed to be of any real use. The wire doesn't seem to be
of a good quality either.

But then, $10 for 100 hooks compared to $7 for 25 TMC's...

As for the Alec Jackson hooks, which are a bit more pricey than the TMC's, I
like the bend of the hook which makes an eye pleasing tie. More so than the
regular salmon hooks made by TMC. It just looks nicer. Of course I think
they are better hooks than the TMC's. I just can't afford to tie a fly on
them only to lose them due to snags, big fish break-offs and the tree gods.

Old December 6th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Hooked

wrote in message
I recently saw a comment that when you want to mash down the barb your
pliers should be inline with the hook and not acroos the bard. FWIW

Dave

Personally, I think that is an easier way to break the point. I put my
pliers across the hook, use the tips of the pliers and gently squeeze to
mash the barb down.

I guess the magic work there is "gently." If you don't be careful with
either method, you'll be buying a lot more hooks than you intended to.