Northwoods Flyfishing

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ken Fortenberry

Default Northwoods Flyfishing

I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
sing on cue. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old May 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
johnval1

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
sing on cue. ;-)

So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
Steve convert you to chucking?

Old May 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ken Fortenberry

johnval1 wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. ...

So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
Steve convert you to chucking?

That bass was caught on a fly rod but I was chucking a black
bunny diver, three pieces of lead and a 6wt sink tip line.
So I guess you could say I semi-converted. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"johnval1" wrote in message
t...

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
sing on cue. ;-)

So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
Steve convert you to chucking?

We had a little bit of a slow start. We were sight-fishing and there was
one particular smallie I really wanted Ken to catch. He repeatedly cast to
it, but it wasn't having anything to do with us, or at least it wasn't
having anything to do with a fly. Just out of curiosity, I pitched a 5"
stick bait in by the big girl and she sucked it right up! I thought "Oh no,
they're not going to take a fly."

Luckily, the fish's attitude changed and for a while the fish were eating on
top. It was so cool watching the bass come up in the clear water and eat
those bits of feather and fur.

Had the flies not worked, I would have coverted him to chucking! :-)

I had a great time with Ken. There was a lot of laughing and story telling
going on. It was a glorious northwoods day, unfortunately the day ended all
too quickly.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:39:32 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

johnval1 wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. ...

So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
Steve convert you to chucking?

That bass was caught on a fly rod but I was chucking a black
bunny diver, three pieces of lead and a 6wt sink tip line.
So I guess you could say I semi-converted. ;-)

Oh, the humanity! Lead? Sink tip? Black Bunny Diver? Have we lost
Ken?

And what is this crap about a guide? You wouldn't go to Labrador
because the law says you must use a guide above a certain latitude.

Ken with a guide, lead, sink tip! Next thing ya know the man will be
voting Republican! It was bound to happen. We've lost the bastid!

Old May 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ken Fortenberry

Dave LaCourse wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
johnval1 wrote:
So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? ...

That bass was caught on a fly rod but I was chucking a black
bunny diver, three pieces of lead and a 6wt sink tip line.

Oh, the humanity! Lead? Sink tip? Black Bunny Diver? Have we lost
Ken?

And what is this crap about a guide? You wouldn't go to Labrador
because the law says you must use a guide above a certain latitude.

Ken with a guide, lead, sink tip! Next thing ya know the man will be
voting Republican! It was bound to happen. We've lost the bastid!

I've had many guides over the years. Steve being one of the
best, BTW. I just don't like that stupid law in Labrador that
says I *must* have a guide. I'd hire a guide anyway, not every
day but at least once, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna hire a
guide every time I want to wet a line.

As for the chuck and duck, well, when in Rome ... ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Charles Summers

That second picture reminds me of the one I have of Bob Redding and Dave
Norton. They were quite a pair!

Nice fish and you're right... a great guide!

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ken Fortenberry

Charles Summers wrote:
That boat motor looks familiar!

Really ? I thought it looked like a motorcycle. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Cyli

On Tue, 29 May 2007 05:57:04 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
sing on cue. ;-)

Ken, there's a problem with your outfit. A couple of water spots on
an absolutely fresh clean and ironed looking fishing shirt aren't
enough for the ambiance. Where are the stains? Where are the
crinkles and wrinkles?

No problem with the fish, though, It's as nice one. Loon calling /
singing on cue? In the day time? Cool.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli