Campfire talk

Old March 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen

Default Campfire talk

Actually, Dave S., I find Myron's nose hairs are quite preferable ROFFian
conversation to the garbage that generally pervades ROFF.
I cannot for the life of me imagine how a question pertaining to someone's
personal hygiene, whether related to ass-wiping around highly irritated
hanging hemorrhoids or gi-normous tongue boils, is any more offensive than a
discussion revolving around the merits of how best to extinguish the
"beancounter" guyz racist fomentations, without simply kill-filing his
posts, because, kill-filing, would be a form of censorship and we all know
how much we all detest censorship.

So, Myron, I have a gynecologist buddy who is having difficulty transcribing
his voice recorded medical records into an appropriate written language. For
some strange reason, his all female staff snickers behind his back?

Do you know how to spell...............p-"us"-see.............correctly?

Opie --moderately amused in Lenoir, NC--

"DaveS" wrote in message
On Mar 16, 7:16 pm, riverman wrote:
On Mar 17, 2:21 am, DaveS wrote:

How many folk do you think your nosehair inquiries will drive off? Or
maybe we can move on to rating Nail Shops, and plastic surgeons?

Sheeesch

In reality...none whatsoever.

In contrast, the endless ad hominen attacks, political attacks,
strawmen arguments and personality attacks will (and have) driven off
many people.

Its not the lack of fishing talk; its the battles with serious intent
to cause offense that have replaced it.

--riverman

Give it a rest

Your nose hair post is a new low. No ****. That whole bit was beyond
offensive.
It was just possibly the most disturbing undude-like post in ROFF
webbery.
Jebus man, what is next? How to wipe your ass? Pop a zit? What?
First you, then that bare assed **** up.
Ill write the rest off to folks just trying to make it go away ASAP

You want real old timer ****?
Here is one: putting on your shoes in the morning.
Want another? Watching stuff go to hell.
Want another? smiling while fools talk w/out smacking them.
Thats real old timer **** you'll need to learn how to do.

Now you know everything important that you will have to learn.
But pleeaassse, just leave your ****ing nose hairs alone
Earth Spirit put them there to keep the bull**** from sloshing up your
nose
But if you decide differently just don't talk about it. OK?
It drives folks away from ROFF.

Old March 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:21:38 -0700 (PDT), DaveS
wrote:

On Mar 16, 7:54 am, riverman wrote:
I know we liken chatter on roff to 'campfire talk', where anything and
everything is fair game, and we all get together in the morning and
cast a line, despite whatever flares up the night before, and bury
whatever hatchets were raised.

But sometimes, even campfire talk generates a lot of ill will, and the
fun that free speech generates is replaced by bonafide animosity that
does not go away with the hangover. Without the excuse 'it was the
whisky talking' or the healing cameradie and moment of clear-
headedness that a morning hike to a pool of rising trout generates, a
lot of bad feelings can germinate from angry discourse.

Several regulars have been absent lately, and several more are making
their way to the door. We can brush this off with casual dismissals
akin to 'if you can't stand the heat...', but I'm sure that more than
one of us has seen other newsgroups meet their demise for similar in-
fighting and malaise.

We used to have some ground rules (no families, etc), but it seems
that we have found new, insidious ways to step on toes that the rules
don't cover. Maybe we need more ground rules. Even campfire talks
sometimes need ground rules.

If we want ROFF to survive, we have to make a choice to preserve it.

--riverman

How many folk do you think your nosehair inquiries will drive off? Or
maybe we can move on to rating Nail Shops, and plastic surgeons?

Sheeesch
Dave

I have freckles on my balls. What should I do?

oh, i suspect some ruuuuude replies

Dave

If thy hand offend thee.....

john

Old March 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

DaveS wrote:
[...]

Well said, fellow geezer. The only thing that drives more folks
away from roff than offensive personal hygiene threads is whiny
goddamn Kum Ba Yah threads.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen

One cannot underestimate the ability of Elitest Assholes have in driving off
the greatest number of ROFFians or potential group members.

But hey, who's really counting the number of ROFFians driven away or the
number of ways inwhich to do so?

Opie --some say top-posting is an excellent method for ridding ROFF of
ROFFians, and though I have my doubts about its efficacy, I do try--

Old March 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"asadi" wrote

I have freckles on my balls. What should I do?

oh, i suspect some ruuuuude replies

Dave

If thy hand offend thee.....

john

hilarious.

yfitons
wayno(well, not that i hope the pirate takes your hint...)

Old March 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"riverman" wrote

There's nothing 'kum ba ya-ish' about it; people in real life who
deliberately poison conversation without cause are bullies and
assholes. And most folks just don't like bullies and assholes. Yet on
line, somehow its considered reasonable behavior. I don't get it, I
don't like it, and I don't want to participate in it.

--riverman

strange thing about my take on this is that i think the most mortal
damage is done by the vicious political wrangling, not the purely personal
vitriol. the latter is almost gamesmanship; silly, mostly, containing some
pretty humorous stuff, if, like myself, you simply make random observations
of the arguments. the former, however, is reality in print, grim, and sure
to make for permanent enemies.
of course, as ol rdean is want to say, ymmv.

yfitons
wayno(and i almost forgot--the family trashing is beyond the pale, imho.)

Old March 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"riverman" wrote

If we want ROFF to survive, we have to make a choice to preserve it.

I think that is much like discussing a medical treatment plan for the
corpse.

Old March 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mar 17, 2:21 am, DaveS wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

"Jebus man, what is next? How to wipe your ass? "
Well if had ask that question I could have refered him to a book on
the subject.

Ten bucks and he could know as much as any bear in the woods.

http://www.amazon.com/How-****-Woods.../dp/0898156270
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Mar 17, 3:42*am, riverman wrote:
SNIP

And your point is? What? Political expression makes you uncomfortable?
So what you don't like is "deliberately inflammatory" etc etc. And
your bare assed buddy is intractable so you want to deflect your
"concerns' in these holier than thou screeds? Is that too rough for
you? Sorry. I grew up in Jersey.

When folks get together to fish that is one thing. That's fishing.
When folks share info on fishing here thats sharing, (although for
Bare Ass it has often ended up as some kind of nasty arm-wrestle if
his ego isn't petted ad nausea. ) And if its a political or economic
thread its rough and tumble, and very American in style, although Ive
noticed that those foreigners with reasonably free political systems
seem not to be bothered.) You might also notice that the political
and economic environment have been highly chaotic and ideological the
last few years and at least some of us live in a country engaged in at
least 2 long nasty wars. So, people will talk about these things in
other than hushed tones.

As to people leaving ROFF because of this or that. Get real. There are
people who announce they are leaving after one visit because no one
gave then the info bit they wanted, or 2 responders disagreed on a
response. There are some guys who cannot stand to mix environmental
information with narrowly drawn "fishing.." There are some, recently
retired especially, who are such babies about getting their own way or
having their every word praised by synchophants, that even good
natured fellowship offends them. There are some that just get tired of
fishing for awhile. There are some who unfortunately get insulted
during the rough and tumble of a ROFF debate and feel humiliated and
leave. A few very knowledgeable people fit this last category who, we
all regret loosing and who hopefully will heal and return. But sorry,
I do not think your carping will change that because of the very
nature of an unmediated group.

Finally, bottom-line is that ROFF, for its flaws, imperfections,
addictive qualities, etc etc, is still the best game in town. Not for
patterns, not for nifty new crap, not for Bare Ass on his dark days or
any-day for Mr. CPA-less, or any of the mealy lib **** or Wingnut dead
ender circle jerk crap, . . . but definitely FOR the irreverent
community banter, the real answers to real FF questions, the loose and
forgiving, primarily MALE community of people who can say whats on
their mind, laugh at themselves, say goodbye to the dearly departed,
and in the end, fish with just about anybody. And some guidelines,
like leaving family and race out of the negative, have evolved. But
not everybody is going to feel comfortable all the time in such a
community. And sometimes we just need to take a time out, but if and
when you do, like I did, you will find that ROFF has changed little
either for the good or the bad if and when you return.

You want change? Go recruit some younger players, focus on your
international fishing experiences in well titled threads, keep these
threads going and fresh. foster an international clave, etc. support
"OT" labeling so sensitive folk can opt out.

Old March 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

riverman wrote:
If we want ROFF to survive, we have to make a choice to preserve it.

Right now, that "if" is hardly a given.

- JR