shad fishing on the roanoke

Old March 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default shad fishing on the roanoke

http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/foru...s.asp?TID=2731
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

jeff wrote:
http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/foru...s.asp?TID=2731

Hmm.

- JR
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Mar 17, 7:30*pm, JR wrote:
jeff wrote:
http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/foru...s.asp?TID=2731

Hmm.

- JR

Hmm?

--riverman
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

"jeff" wrote in message
. ..
http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/foru...s.asp?TID=2731

About another month for the West Coast.

Old March 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

riverman wrote:
JR wrote:
jeff wrote:

http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/foru...s.asp?TID=2731

Hmm.

Hmm?

Mmm. Hmm.

You goin' out this weekend, jeff?

- JR
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

JR wrote:
riverman wrote:
JR wrote:
jeff wrote:

http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/foru...s.asp?TID=2731

Hmm.

Hmm?

Mmm. Hmm.

You goin' out this weekend, jeff?

- JR

hope to...we've had a lot of rain this week.

jeff
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

jeff wrote:
JR wrote:

You goin' out this weekend, jeff?

hope to...we've had a lot of rain this week.

Shad come up on a spate, like salmon? Stands to reason, I guess.

- JR

Old March 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

JR wrote:
jeff wrote:
JR wrote:

You goin' out this weekend, jeff?

hope to...we've had a lot of rain this week.

Shad come up on a spate, like salmon? Stands to reason, I guess.

- JR

temps seem to be the most important predictor of the run...but, when the
rains hit, our shad rivers (roanoke, tar, neuse) rise and muddy up
(sorta like penns), and the fishing gets tough except up around weldon
on the roanoke. my best catches are when the river drops and stabilizes
flow. i avoid weldon because of the crazy crowds that gather. too many
boats...to much manunkind. the shad hit the rocks and dam up that way
and get corraled. those folks in the link i posted are sal****er
flyfishers from harkers island and oregon inlet area...brian and sarah
are sal****er guides. they do cameos on the roanoke... that river is
probably the premier shad fishery in nc, and very popular. i usually
fish downstream locations that are less crowded.

i love the shad run because it marks the true beginning of my fishing
season. from now until next january, we have different runs/seasons of
fish to target. shad for the next two weeks, with striped bass (rock)
for the next two months. the big bull dolphin will be offshore soon,
with wahoo mixed in...and billfish phantoms too. mountain trout begin
looking up in april. puppy drum and speckled trout in the sound. cobia
in may... sigh...
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"jeff" wrote

i love the shad run because it marks the true beginning of my fishing
season. from now until next january, we have different runs/seasons of
fish to target. shad for the next two weeks, with striped bass (rock) for
the next two months. the big bull dolphin will be offshore soon, with
wahoo mixed in...and billfish phantoms too. mountain trout begin looking
up in april. puppy drum and speckled trout in the sound. cobia in may...
sigh...

that's the best paragraph I've read here in a long time