OT .. but cool, imho

Old March 20th, 2009, 03:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default OT .. but cool, imho

new White House garden

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29787424

Larry L ( who has always felt that real, non-prepackaged, connection
between people and their food ... gardening, hunting, fishing ... is
important to mental as well as physical health ..... that a hands on
connection with Nature improves our connection with ourselves )

Old March 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Larry L wrote:
new White House garden

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29787424

The Times had an article on the garden in today's edition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html

Scroll down to the Multimedia sidebar and you can see how
the garden is going to be laid out. Kinda neat.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Larry L wrote:
new White House garden

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29787424

The Times had an article on the garden in today's edition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html

Scroll down to the Multimedia sidebar and you can see how
the garden is going to be laid out. Kinda neat.

Lots of spinach. Gotta like that.

Increasing part of my work is promoting urban gardens. Hope the WH garden
leads to more of them in DC (right now it's way too hard to get them
started and there are long waiting lists for those already operating).

- JR

Old March 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On Mar 20, 11:49*am, JR wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Larry L wrote:
new White House garden

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29787424

The Times had an article on the garden in today's edition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html

Scroll down to the Multimedia sidebar and you can see how
the garden is going to be laid out. Kinda neat.

Lots of spinach. *Gotta like that.

Increasing part of my work is promoting urban gardens. *Hope the WH garden
leads to more of them in DC (right now it's way too hard to get them
started and there are long waiting lists for those already operating).

- JR

I have been a proponent of urban gardens since I had one as a kid.
Ours was tucked in a small corner of the back yard and not visible
from anywhere but the house. We didn't get much (didn't know much
about it) but we got all there was.
So.......to my question:
It would seem that the large community gardens going in in places like
Detroit, DC, NYC, etc would be subject to pilfering, vandalism, or
plain theft. While I think they are great -- VERY great -- for all
the stated reasons, do they pan out when it comes to harvest?
I hope so.

cheers

oz, moving his garden to special boxes on the deck
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Mar 20, 9:49*am, JR wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Larry L wrote:
new White House garden

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29787424

The Times had an article on the garden in today's edition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html

Scroll down to the Multimedia sidebar and you can see how
the garden is going to be laid out. Kinda neat.

Lots of spinach. *Gotta like that.

Increasing part of my work is promoting urban gardens. *Hope the WH garden
leads to more of them in DC (right now it's way too hard to get them
started and there are long waiting lists for those already operating).

- JR

Apropos your urban gardening thing . . . I would like to put in a plug
for "mizuna," a Japanese veg. It is an easy grow, works in salad mix
and alone as fresh salad, can be planted and harvested several times a
season, is slow to bolt, picks whole (efficient), looks great, also
works in stir fry, seeds are available in the US, AND because its a
mustard it grows fast and reliably. (And it doesn't taste like
mustard, unless it bolts.)

And just for sheer production of fresh food value for little work,
IMHO its hard to beat pole beans, which make even the fence line
productive.

Side-note: That neighborhood in Philly, up on the edges of the UPenn
area, full of immigrants, had some amazing community gardens when I
used to spend a fair amount of time for work and kids in Philly. The
visuals of these African women in long blowing dresses tending their
plots in Philly are some of the mental paintings that I regret not
getting around to. Maybe with Spring a short train, then a trolley
could get one there? Philly is a great town for American art. And the
Italian market. . . the diner York apple pie, Old Swedes. Hummmm
maybe I need an Ecoast trip myself.

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

DaveS wrote:

......... Maybe with Spring a short train, then a trolley
could get one there? Philly is a great town for American art.

Yep, and not just American art. Already plan sometime end of April,
beginning of May to take Amtrak up to see these:

http://www.philamuseum.org/exhibitions/current.html

Fond of mizuna, but have never grown it. Good idea.

- JR
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Mar 20, 1:06*pm, JR wrote:
DaveS wrote:
......... Maybe with Spring a short train, then a trolley
could get one there? Philly is a great town for American art.

Yep, and not just American art. *Already plan sometime end of April,
beginning of May to take Amtrak up to see these:

http://www.philamuseum.org/exhibitions/current.html

Fond of mizuna, but have never grown it. *Good idea.

- JR

Wow. That is an incredible line up (the museum). the city from the top
of the museum steps on a clear night, out toward Billy Penn's statue
would make a beautiful nocturne if we had a live Whistler today. Ive
tried to draw/paint the beautiful Jersey/NYC bound platform of the 35th
(?) street station a couple of times now. The main room of that
station since it's been cleaned is also worth some long looking.

Suggestion, if you are training it up to NYC: RR of NJ is the best
deal cost-wise. (Genuflect as you pass my old Adams Station.;-)))

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

The current Phila Museum show is a great one. I'm heading there this coming
Weds. Good to hear some of you folks familiar with some of Philly's good
side. You left out cheesesteaks, though. I'd strongly recommend Chubby's in
Roxborough. The Fringe Festival, in center city and Old City, down to South
Street in September is a great venue full of cutting edge arts, music,
theater and dance.
Tom

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 23:22:54 GMT, "Tom Littleton"
wrote:

The current Phila Museum show is a great one. I'm heading there this coming
Weds. Good to hear some of you folks familiar with some of Philly's good
side. You left out cheesesteaks, though. I'd strongly recommend Chubby's in
Roxborough. The Fringe Festival, in center city and Old City, down to South
Street in September is a great venue full of cutting edge arts, music,
theater and dance.

Whenever someone mentions Philadelphia, I think of W.C. Fields.

Some funny stuff.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/W._C._Fields

Old March 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Mar 20, 4:22*pm, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
The current Phila Museum show is a great one. I'm heading there this coming
Weds. Good to hear some of you folks familiar with some of Philly's good
side. You left out cheesesteaks, though. I'd strongly recommend Chubby's in
Roxborough. The Fringe Festival, in center city and Old City, down to South
Street in September is a great venue full of cutting edge arts, music,
theater and dance.

I love Philly. If I were to live in any East Coast city it would be
Philly. Midway between NYC and DC. Best RR service in the US. Good
food culture. Art up the yingyang. Enough weirdos to keep things
interesting. Straight shot to best part of South Jersey (Down Jersey).
etc