Ron Silver, RIP

Old March 16th, 2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Ron Silver, RIP

A little lesson for ROFF....

Here was a guy who, for many years, honestly adhered to one political philosophy
and in a short period of time, did an about-face. Does it matter from which he
came to which he went? No, not in my opinion because he, from all I could tell,
put some thought into his decision, weighing the good (and the bad) in the
former and the good (and the bad) in latter, and made a personal decision. Was
he right or wrong?

Yeah, probably....

IAC, RIP Ron...

Old March 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 07:35:36 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

A little lesson for ROFF....

Here was a guy who, for many years, honestly adhered to one political philosophy
and in a short period of time, did an about-face. Does it matter from which he
came to which he went? No, not in my opinion because he, from all I could tell,
put some thought into his decision, weighing the good (and the bad) in the
former and the good (and the bad) in latter, and made a personal decision. Was
he right or wrong?

Yeah, probably....

IAC, RIP Ron...

What's the lesson ? Is it that 9/11 scared the liberal out of a
Jewish guy or that the GOP is a better friend to Israel during
turbulent times ?

Nope. And neither happened with Silver. He still believed in and supported
many "liberal" causes and organizations, but if you will, apparently found the
hypocrisy in the Dem party and its "circles" to be less than that of the GOP and
its "circles."

And why would roff need either of those lessons ?

At any rate, he was a good actor.

Alav ha-shalom.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20046.html, for one.

HTH,
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Mar 16, 9:40*pm, wrote:
[...]

And http://www.onejerusalem.org/ for another. Read the comments and
articles...any of them.

--riverman
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:09:29 -0700 (PDT), riverman wrote:

On Mar 16, 9:40*pm, wrote:
[...]

I just went to the site, clicked on his obit there, and saw "0" comments. IAC,
I'm not sure of your point. I don't deny he was a supporter of Israel and other
Jewish causes.

TC,

--riverman

Old March 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:17:01 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
What's the lesson ? Is it that 9/11 scared the liberal out of a
Jewish guy or that the GOP is a better friend to Israel during
turbulent times ?

Nope. And neither happened with Silver. ...

"I'm a 9/11 Republican."
-- Ron Silver

FWIW -

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/01/mo...eleb.html?_r=1

He still believed in and supported
many "liberal" causes and organizations, but if you will, apparently found the
hypocrisy in the Dem party and its "circles" to be less than that of the GOP and
its "circles."

His main point of contention with the Dems, the one he himself cited,
was that Dems were soft on terrorism. I don't know where you come up
with hypocrisy either Dem or GOP.

"Even though I am a well-recognized liberal on many issues confronting our
society today, I find it ironic that many human rights advocates and outspoken
members of my own entertainment community are often on the front lines to
protest repression, for which I applaud them but they are usually the first ones
to oppose any use of force to take care of these horrors that they
catalogue repeatedly." - Ron Silver at the GOP Convention

"Mr. Silver said he admired Senator Kerry, whom he described as honorable, but
added he did not think the candidate represents the rank and file of the
Democratic Party, most of whom, he said, 'I think are Howard
Dean-Kucinich-Sharpton-Michael Moore people,' the kind of people 'who like the
projection of American force for humanitarian reasons, so they'll support
Clinton's intervention in Bosnia, but they don't like it in support of our own
defense.'" (From the NYT article, above)

HTH,
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Mar 16, 9:40*pm, wrote:
[...]

I meant to read the comments after the news articles and in the forum
section. "Supporter" is a mild understatement.... words such as
'radical', 'virulent' and 'extreme' come to mind.

--riverman
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:40:05 -0700 (PDT), riverman wrote:

Andhttp://www.onejerusalem.org/for another. Read the comments and
articles...any of them.

I just went to the site, clicked on his obit there, and saw "0" comments. *IAC,
I'm not sure of your point. *I don't deny he was a supporter of Israel and other
Jewish causes.

TC,

I meant to read the comments after the news articles and in the forum
section. "Supporter" is a mild understatement.... words such as
'radical', 'virulent' and 'extreme' come to mind.

--riverman

GOOD LORD! It's a hotbed of radical Jews! I went back and quickly and randomly
clicked an article without really reading any headlines, so as to take as random
a sampling as possible. The one I happened to hit was, "Where is the Tomb of
Mordechai and Esther?" On the site proper, there were no comments, but the
article itself was off-site - it linked me to:

http://www.ou.org/index.php/shabbat_...article/51039/

It was short, so I scanned it and it ended with:

"After the area was liberated in Israel's War of Independence, a group of Safed
Jews went up to the tomb on Purim in 1949 and read the Megillah there to revive
the long-standing custom of previous generations.

Hence, we have two conflicting traditions as to where the protagonists of the
Purim story are buried, with one placing them in Persia and the other right here
in Israel, much closer to home.

And while we can not say with any certainty which of the two traditions is more
authentic or correct, of one thing we can all be su the deeds of these two
great Jewish heroes will never fade from our collective memory. As the Megillah
(9:28) itself tells us: 'and these days of Purim shall not pass from among the
Jews, and their memory shall not elapse from among their descendants'."

and the very first comment was:

"Is it possible that the tomb in Persia was the original resting place of
Mordechai and Esther, as the ancient Persians might have demanded, but at some
later date Cyrus, perhaps relatively secretly, reinterred them in Israel? There
is precedent; Joseph, the second in Egypt as Mordechai became in Persia, was
also reinterred in Israel when the Jews returned."

How can there ever be peace in the Middle East with folks having wantonly read
the Megillah at a tomb in 1949 and then this radical kook suggesting that some
ancient Persians might have demanded something?!?!?! Man, that kind of radical
talk can only lead to...to...to, well, sleep...or at least a bad case of the
yawns...

HTH,
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Mar 16, 9:40*pm, wrote:
[...]

--riverman- Hide quoted text -

Like too many in the US, Silver's liberalism did not prevent him from
turning a blind eye to the active campaign underway to ethnically
cleanse Palestinians from Palestine and Israel. It's the same kind of
liberalism that cannot bear the mention or to look at the photos of
children horribly burned and disfigured by American financed white
phosphorus shells fired into their apartment houses and schools in
Gaza. Its the same kind of liberalism that cowers to "the" lobby, and
is afraid to support those many Israelis and Americans who are
fighting against the persecution of the Palestinians.

I wish Silver well in the next world, like us all, he had his flaws,
his conflicts, and his high points. RIP