Ping RW et al

Old October 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Ping RW et al

If anyone on roff would even consider this, it would be you, RW, or me,
and much to the chagrin of Joanne.

A trip to Cuba for bones, permit, whatever.

I've spoken (e-mail) to an outfitter and it *is* possible. I would
have to fly to, say, Mexico (Cancun) first, and then to Cuba. No visa
is necessary to visit either Mexico nor Cuba. The trick would be to
avoid having Cuban authorities stamp my passport. You can go in and
out of Cancun without a passport - proof of citizenship would be at
least two identification cards (military retire and driver's license).

My question to you and others is: Do you know of any U.S. citizen
going to Cuba to fly fish?

Although I am fishing a couple of days a week, I am beginning to get
cabin fever and it isn't even November. Golf doesn't help in the very
least. I'm having hip replacement surgery on December 8, so I should
be roaring to go by February.

Any thoughts, RW, roff?

Old October 25th, 2010, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Oct 24, 5:30*pm, D. LaCourse wrote:

Any thoughts, RW, roff?

In 1999 I visited Cuba with government permission. I was accompanying
a fishing writer friend who was doing an article on Bass fishing on
the Island. Since Journalists or published authors are allowed in, I
got to go along as his "assistant".

It was pretty cool, as a boy in the 60's my father was stationed at
Gitmo but we obviously never got to go outside the fence line. It was
like going back in time in many respects and if they ever lift the
travel restrictions, the BASS boys are going to have a heyday.

Which speaking of Gitmo, can't you as a retired CPO get permission to
visit there? I seem to recall one of the TV dudes doing a show on
sal****er fly fishing from Gitmo and it looked pretty interesting.
Nothing personal but you don't strike me as the kind of guy that would
visit Cuba given the current set of laws, even if you can get in from
Mexico without your passport getting stamped.

Old October 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-10-24 21:53:46 -0400, Wayne Knight said:

[...]

Being retired has many travel bennies - space available on overseas
flights, as well as transit by warship. However, I doubt I could get
into Gitmo right now. I think it is pretty restrictive.

The outfitter I was talking to says that about 40% of his clients are
U.S. citizens.

Wayne, I'm the kind of guy that would go *anywhere* to fish. And have. d;o)

Thanks for your input.

Old October 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 2010-10-24 21:53:46 -0400, Wayne Knight said:

[...]

I'd offer this advice - you aren't legally there and anyone with a propensity to
do you any harm would likely know you are there illegally. I'd suggest taking
care not to act like a spoiled rich "American" who is graciously putting up with
the local savages while looting the natural resources. Second, if you and Peter
Charles are still fishing buddies, I'd advise asking him to go and handle all
financial transactions, reservations, etc. (assuming I remember correctly that
he is a Commonwealth citizen/British subject, if he is a US citizen or y'all
aren't still in touch, try and go with someone who can legally travel to and
spend whatever they wish in Cuba). Third, I'd advise either going by water from
the Bahamas or by air via Costa Rica. Fourth, try and find a legal way to go -
there are various ways to get there legally. Fifth, take and use _mostly_
Canadian cash (have a coupla-few hundred in US currency, in smaller bills,
tucked away) and don't do anything stupid, like try to bring back a suitcase
full of Cohibas and rum, broadly announce your US citizenship (either actively
or passively - no discussions of the weather in Maine or US addy luggage tags,
for example) or whip out your US-based Amex or Citibank card(s). Remember that
you're not breaking any Cuban laws (well, unless you do...), you're potentially
breaking US laws/rules/regs.

Generally, if you act like a decent human being, you are welcome in Cuba from
the Cuban perspective - it's the ridiculous US rules that can get you in
trouble. And in practice, they are very much like speeding laws - it's pretty
much a case of officer discretion and if you are caught on your return, your
attitude will almost certainly determine the consequences/outcome. Some nice
old vet who gets found out after having gone for a little fishing and drinking
will likely get a "get the **** out of here..." at Customs, whereas someone who
acts like a schmuck will likely find that things go downhill after the cavity
search...

HTH,

Thanks for your input.

Old October 25th, 2010, 06:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 17:30:00 -0400, D. LaCourse
wrote:

[...]

Cuba is "definitely" on my list
I admire the Cuban people and culture and
I love the music!!

However if I were to go on a trip like this -
My wife would want to and have to come
Especially if it was significant $$$

Slim Harpo
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-10-24 21:53:46 -0400, Wayne Knight said:

[...]

Well, hell..... If I can't "act like a spoiled rich "American" who is
graciously putting up with
the local savages while looting the natural resources", then I ain't
going. Nosireee. In my lifetime I have been all over this world, and
I always act like a spoiled rich "American" who is graciously putting
up with the local savages while looting the natural resources. And
acting like that has always worked..... well, except for that time in
Yokohama when I got caught in the middle of a communist demonstration.
Oh, those natural resources in Japan.... "I ruv you rong time,
Davey-san."

Besides, if I can't bring back a couple of boxes of cuban cigars and a
case of their rum, I just don't want to go.

Thanks.

Dave (wishing he had Peter's accent)
(Hey, Peter. Wanna go to Cuba?)

Old October 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On 2010-10-24 21:53:46 -0400, Wayne Knight said:

[...]

I'd be up for it .

--riverman
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:41:58 -0400, D. LaCourse wrote:

Well, hell..... If I can't "act like a spoiled rich "American" who is
graciously putting up with
the local savages while looting the natural resources", then I ain't
going. Nosireee. In my lifetime I have been all over this world,

Well, then, Phileas, why are you asking for advice about travel...?

HTH,

Old October 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-10-25 14:45:19 -0400, riverman said:

"I'd be up for it."

Figures! d;o)

The outfitter I'm talking with suggests Los Roques in Venezuela.
Perhaps not as good, but it would be legal. When would you be
available for a trip?

Old October 25th, 2010, 09:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-10-25 15:43:47 -0400, said:

[...]

Richard, I appreciate your reply, but why do you have to be
so.....so.... never mind.

I have done enough traveling around the world with the Navy, GTE,
Verizon, and fly fishing to know *how* to act and what to do and not to
do. I was asking for advice, not a lecture. But, thank you just the
same.