Big Sky this August

Old June 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charles A

Default Big Sky this August

Hello

I'm a novice and my family and I have an opportunity to go to Big
Sky,MT this August. Any suggestions on when would be better ie. early/
mid/late August? I love fishing for trout. Used to do quite a bit in
New York state. Since moving to Tennessee, I've hardly done any at
all and am probably very rusty. So I'll probably need a guide. So
recommendations in that arena would be appreciated as well.

Wading would probably be best for us, though a float trip or two would
just rock! We hope to be there for 7-10 days.

Anything to get away from the summer hell here in August. It's June
and we just hit 95 on Sunday...:-(

Thanks.
Charles

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Jun 19, 2:28 pm, Charles A wrote:

I'm a novice and my family and I have an opportunity to go to Big
Sky,MT this August. Any suggestions on when would be better ie. early/
mid/late August? I love fishing for trout. Used to do quite a bit in
New York state. Since moving to Tennessee, I've hardly done any at
all and am probably very rusty.

Can't help at all with MT but there's some halfway decent trout
fishing in TN, if you're anywhere near or east of I-65 that is within
a few hours. If you're in the Memphis area, never mind.

Old June 19th, 2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charles A

On Jun 19, 3:45 pm, Wayne Knight wrote:
On Jun 19, 2:28 pm, Charles A wrote:

I'm a novice and my family and I have an opportunity to go to Big
Sky,MT this August. Any suggestions on when would be better ie. early/
mid/late August? I love fishing for trout. Used to do quite a bit in
New York state. Since moving to Tennessee, I've hardly done any at
all and am probably very rusty.

Can't help at all with MT but there's some halfway decent trout
fishing in TN, if you're anywhere near or east of I-65 that is within
a few hours. If you're in the Memphis area, never mind.

Hey Wayne

I live in NashVegas. I know that the Caney Fork has decent fish. But
it's about 1.5 - 2.0 hours for me. And the rewards are only fair.
I've been really, really spoilt. When I lived in Rochester, a blue
ribbon stream was just about 30-45 mins away.

Plus I was kid-less then...

Charles

Old June 19th, 2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Charles A" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 19, 3:45 pm, Wayne Knight wrote:
On Jun 19, 2:28 pm, Charles A wrote:

I'm a novice and my family and I have an opportunity to go to Big
Sky,MT this August. Any suggestions on when would be better ie. early/
mid/late August? I love fishing for trout. Used to do quite a bit in
New York state. Since moving to Tennessee, I've hardly done any at
all and am probably very rusty.

Can't help at all with MT but there's some halfway decent trout
fishing in TN, if you're anywhere near or east of I-65 that is within
a few hours. If you're in the Memphis area, never mind.

Hey Wayne

I live in NashVegas. I know that the Caney Fork has decent fish. But
it's about 1.5 - 2.0 hours for me. And the rewards are only fair.
I've been really, really spoilt. When I lived in Rochester, a blue
ribbon stream was just about 30-45 mins away.

Hm......

Less than 3 1/2 hours from downtown Nashville to Maryville. Can't speak for
anyone else, but it would take a heap of spoiling for me to snub my nose at
the Smokies within reasonable striking distance for a weekend jaunt.

Plus I was kid-less then...

Kids. Don't have any. But if I did, I don't think I'd have much trouble
deciding whether to immerse them in Xbox or a clear mountain stream.

Anyway, good luck in Montana. If you don't fall in love with it you'll need
to do some serious reassessment regarding your chosen avocation.

Wolfgang

Old June 20th, 2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
denovo

On Jun 19, 5:56 pm, "Wolfgang" wrote:
"Charles A" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Ah...Spoken like a true non-parent...;-)

Anyway, good luck in Montana. If you don't fall in love with it you'll need
to do some serious reassessment regarding your chosen avocation.

Lifelong dream, eh? Will let you know how it goes...Thanks.

Wolfgang

Old June 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joel *DFD*

On Jun 19, 1:28?pm, Charles A wrote:
Hello

I'm a novice and my family and I have an opportunity to go to Big
Sky,MT this August. Any suggestions on when would be better ie. early/
mid/late August? I love fishing for trout. Used to do quite a bit in
New York state. Since moving to Tennessee, I've hardly done any at
all and am probably very rusty. So I'll probably need a guide. So
recommendations in that arena would be appreciated as well.

Wading would probably be best for us, though a float trip or two would
just rock! We hope to be there for 7-10 days.

Anything to get away from the summer hell here in August. It's June
and we just hit 95 on Sunday...:-(

Thanks.
Charles

Contact BLUE RIBBON FLYS in West Yellowstone. Great shop!
Great guides! Walk, wade, float. You won't regret it.
Joel

Old June 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Wolfgang wrote:

Less than 3 1/2 hours from downtown Nashville to Maryville. Can't speak for
anyone else, but it would take a heap of spoiling for me to snub my nose at
the Smokies within reasonable striking distance for a weekend jaunt.

That was my exact thought on reading the original post. I grew up
in Nashville, and knowing what I know now, I would have been making that
drive every chance I had. (Hey, I was young. I didn't even fish during
those years. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :-)

BTW, nice trip report above. That's the sort of thing that makes
wading this cesspool worth the trouble. :-)

Plus I was kid-less then...

Kids. Don't have any. But if I did, I don't think I'd have much trouble
deciding whether to immerse them in Xbox or a clear mountain stream.

Anyway, good luck in Montana. If you don't fall in love with it you'll need
to do some serious reassessment regarding your chosen avocation.

No doubt. As to his original question -- in Big Sky he'll be right
on the Gallatin. That would be where I'd start exploring (I'd head down
towards the park and fish around the Taylor Creek area). He'll also be
close enough to the Madison and any number of other streams in
Yellowstone. Of course, given what I've been reading about
snowpack/flows out there, by the time he plans to go, there will likely
be some serious issues with high water temps/possible stream closures
(to say nothing about too many fishermen crammed into the best spots on
the streams that are open/fishable).

If I had to recommend a time to go, I'd say wait until after Labor
Day when at least some of the folks will have left the area (at least
that will make for fewer traffic jams in the park).

The weather will be a bit cooler as well. Though it's always iffy;
when I went there, I was fishing the Firehole in the second week of
September when a snowstorm blew through. It was truly magical, with the
geysers throwing off steam all around me and a wet snowfall coming down.

Anyhow, if he wants a guide or more info, it would be a good idea to
contact Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. Craig Matthews is the
owner of the shop, and he literally "wrote the book" on the area.

Chuck Vance (wishing he was in "big sky country" about now, as
it's about 80 degrees/% humidity already down here)
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"denovo" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 19, 5:56 pm, "Wolfgang" wrote:

Kids. Don't have any. But if I did, I don't think I'd have much trouble
deciding whether to immerse them in Xbox or a clear mountain stream.

Ah...Spoken like a true non-parent...;-)

I've been practicing for a lifetime. One can hardly help but attain a
certain level of profficiency.

Anyway, good luck in Montana. If you don't fall in love with it you'll
need
to do some serious reassessment regarding your chosen avocation.

Lifelong dream, eh?

Nope. Been there. Montana offers a wide range of options for the fly
fishing enthusiast, big brawling rivers, alpine lakes, clear, cold brooks,
and more. Not my favorite place to fish.....I prefer the plunging mountain
streams of North Carolina and (since my first venture there just four weeks
ago) Tennessee.....but if forced to limit myself to Montana's offerings for
trout fishing, I believe I could refrain from being bitter about it.

Will let you know how it goes...

Looking forward to hearing about it.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Wolfgang

Old June 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
denovo

On Jun 20, 1:39 am, Joel *DFD* wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much, Chuck and Joel & even Wolfgang ;-) I promise to get
off my a** and hit the Smokies late this fall. I'm curious Wolfgang -
where in Tennessee did you fish and for **what**?

Charles

Old June 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
denovo

On Jun 20, 6:48 am, Conan The Librarian wrote:
Wolfgang wrote:
[...]

Hey Chuck

Given the climate all across the country, I was thinking the same
thing in terms of stressing out fish and stream conditions. It was
exactly that 2 years ago when I was in close to the Poconos. It was
sad. And it wasn't anywhere near what I think is gonna be a bone dry,
nasty summer.

Charles