Help with baitcasting rod/reel

Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
Mark W. Oots

Default Help with baitcasting rod/reel

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is this; try casting sidearm at first
until you get the "feel" of feathering the spool with your thumb.
Eventually, you'll begin to sense when the line is beginning to over-run and
instinctively apply a little pressure to slow the spool. Also, stay with
something in the range of 3/8 to 3/4 oz. Heavier lures tend to make you over
confident and lighter is a real pain to throw at first. If you're trying to
throw 1/8 oz jigs or unweighted tubes, range is never going to be very great
with a MH rod. Pitchin' is about the best you can do with the setup.

Mark

---

Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Dre

Thanks, I'll give it a try with a heavier bait.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Illinois Fisherman

With a medium heavy rod look and see the amount of weight it can cast. Use a
weight about in the middle of the range anywhere from say 1/2 to 3/4 oz to
begin with. Make sure that the handle on the reel points straight up in the
air as you cast out. This will have the top of your hand to the sky, palm
facing to ground. Your tension on the spool brake sounds right. The weight
should slowly drop to the ground as you press the freespool button to cast.

As you making the cast, if the birdsnest starts before the weight hits the
ground increase the reel brake pressure slightly. If it occurs after the
weight hits the ground you need to use your thumb to slow the cast a couple
of feet before the weight hits the ground or water.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:09 PM
Dre

Aaah, if I'm understanding correctly, I shouldn't have to put ANY
pressure at all on the spool until a couple feet before the bait hits
the water? I was keeping some pressure on it through the whole cast.
That explains why it wouldn't cast very far. I thought without the
pressure it would get tangled but I never thought of increasing the
reel brake pressure because I didn't know what it was for. Makes
perfect sense now.

So I probably just need to set the reel brake slightly tighter and not
put pressure when I cast until about 2 feet before the bait hits the
water.

I know practice helps but practicing with the wrong setup just makes
it frustrating for nothing. Thank you very much for the help!! I'll
let you know how it goes.

Dre

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:02:52 GMT, "Illinois Fisherman"
wrote:

With a medium heavy rod look and see the amount of weight it can cast. Use a
weight about in the middle of the range anywhere from say 1/2 to 3/4 oz to
begin with. Make sure that the handle on the reel points straight up in the
air as you cast out. This will have the top of your hand to the sky, palm
facing to ground. Your tension on the spool brake sounds right. The weight
should slowly drop to the ground as you press the freespool button to cast.

As you making the cast, if the birdsnest starts before the weight hits the
ground increase the reel brake pressure slightly. If it occurs after the
weight hits the ground you need to use your thumb to slow the cast a couple
of feet before the weight hits the ground or water.

.. .

Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
Dre

Hey, I just found this article with pictures to explain the technique.
Now I understand what you mean by the handle needing to point straight
up. It will actually be down for me cause I'm a lefty hehehe. Wow, now
I can't wait to get back on the water lol!

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/fish...itcasting.html

Dre

wrote:

With a medium heavy rod look and see the amount of weight it can cast. Use a
weight about in the middle of the range anywhere from say 1/2 to 3/4 oz to
begin with. Make sure that the handle on the reel points straight up in the
air as you cast out. This will have the top of your hand to the sky, palm
facing to ground. Your tension on the spool brake sounds right. The weight
should slowly drop to the ground as you press the freespool button to cast.

As you making the cast, if the birdsnest starts before the weight hits the
ground increase the reel brake pressure slightly. If it occurs after the
weight hits the ground you need to use your thumb to slow the cast a couple
of feet before the weight hits the ground or water.

. ..

Old September 23rd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Illinois Fisherman

Maintain light pressure on the reel spool to detect a backlash. If it starts
press down with your thumb to stop it.