Winter Fishing in Pac NW?

Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:51 AM
riverman

Default Winter Fishing in Pac NW?

Winter vacation is approaching (somone said on Roff this week that the
academic calendar is nothing if not predictable), and basically I'm a bit
homesick and too full of Africa to look forward to a trek in Uganda or
another safari in South Africa. So I'm starting to think seriously of
charging my batteries with a quick visit to some familiar stomping grounds
to see friends and family.

When I left the US, I wasn't a flyfisherman, so I have no idea what the
winter season is like. If I spend from Dec 19- Jan 3 in the Seattle/Tacoma
and Portland regions, are there good fishing opportunities during that time?

--riverman

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:56 PM
David Snedeker

IN Washington its steelhead that time of year. On the Coast, and on some of
the Columbia tribs. I suggest you contact JR via Email for suggestions as I
am basically a tryo when it comes to steelhead.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:20 PM

"riverman" is starting to think seriously of charging his batteries
with a quick visit to some familiar stomping grounds to see friends
and family in the good ole Pacific NW.
---------
Here in Portland, we haven't had much of a fall yet. It was 78
yesterday and today is a bit cooler but not by much. Anyway, you are
picking a great time to be here if you like steelheading in the rain.
We are having a banner year in the salmonoid fishery and it should be
a good December, or at least I hope it will be.

Chris 'padishar creel' fanning (send me an email when the time is
close and I will update you on the local scene) -- My home waters are
the rivers in SW Washington and the Sandy...
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Chas Wade

"riverman" wrote:
... If I spend from Dec 19- Jan 3 in the Seattle/Tacoma
and Portland regions, are there good fishing opportunities during that
time?

You betcha!

I'll be out of town the last half of that, but steelhead fishing should
be in full swing, and the chum salmon will still be available in some
rivers. I've managed to figure out the salmon this year, and I'm
hoping to do the same with the steelhead this winter. Skiing will get
in the way if the snow's good, but I'd enjoy getting together and
fishing with you. Be ready for cold wet weather. I whimp out when the
line freezes in the guides, but 35 degrees and drizzle can be a
pleasant day to be on the river.

Email me for details.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Old October 24th, 2003, 08:22 AM
riverman

"Chas Wade" wrote in message
newso3mb.15635$Tr4.35052@attbi_s03...
"riverman" wrote:
... If I spend from Dec 19- Jan 3 in the Seattle/Tacoma
and Portland regions, are there good fishing opportunities during that
time?

You betcha!

I'll be out of town the last half of that, but steelhead fishing should
be in full swing, and the chum salmon will still be available in some
rivers. I've managed to figure out the salmon this year, and I'm
hoping to do the same with the steelhead this winter. Skiing will get
in the way if the snow's good, but I'd enjoy getting together and
fishing with you. Be ready for cold wet weather. I whimp out when the
line freezes in the guides, but 35 degrees and drizzle can be a
pleasant day to be on the river.

Email me for details.

OK, if I end up coming back to the states, I'll be in touch. Maybe we can
make a NW clave out of it.

--riverman

Old October 25th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Chas Wade

"riverman" wrote:

OK, if I end up coming back to the states, I'll be in touch. Maybe we
can
make a NW clave out of it.

I'm hearing rumors of a trip to see the relatives in Chicago just
before Christmas. That might make fishing tough for me, but the jury
is still out on that one. If I'm here, I'll gladly help make a clave
work.

Thanks,

Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:47 PM

Default PNW Clave? (Was: Winter Fishing in Pac NW?)

I'd love to see an Oregon/Washington get-together, even in winter. Clave,
mini-clave, micro-clave, someone near here who's just bored of his usual
buddy's lies... who wants to fish?
Scoobey
Eugene, OR