Need offshore fishing advice for south florida

Old April 28th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Green Iguana

Default Need offshore fishing advice for south florida

First, let me tell you where I am

Miami, Florida

Here is what I have

1. 18 foot wellcraft center console boat with a 150 merc outboard
2. All kinds of fishing stuff, including two Penn conventional reels mounted
on some nice poles.
3. Three spinning rod/reel combos - medium heavy duty
4. Light duty stuff for catching bait pinfish
5. Two home made PVC fish oil dripping devices (one for menhaden oil which
floats and the other for menhaden milk which is water soluble)
6. Many artificial lures
7. Penn downrigger with 10 pound cannonball (I so want a cannon now - it
would be cool)

I go out into blue water, deploy the drippers, then toss bait overboard.
Last time I put a live pinfish on the bottom, another one about 1/2 way to
the bottom, and some plastic jigs sweetened with whole squid very close to
the surface (no weight on the jigs other than the head of the jig itself).

I caught the largest remora in the history of fishing, along with some
smaller remoras (shark suckers). That's all. Something with teeth did strike
a jig, but the mono leader was sliced. The live pinfish were not touched by
anything. I was in 150 - 300 feet of water.

What's up?!!? Are the fish simply not running yet? Should I try trolling?
Maybe try to make some passes over a deep wreck using the downrigger? Any
good GPS coordinates for a good area to try blue water fishing? I know about
the sea birds and the weedlines, but to be totally honest I prefer drift
fishing. Drifting means the engine is not running, I can hear my satellite
radio better, fuel is not being burned, and I can relax with my beer. I am
somewhat new to the deep water thing, so trolling is not really something I
have done a lot of. Up to now, fishing in sal****er usually meant drowning
live shrimp to me.

-- James

Old April 28th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Sarge

Get a nautical map of the area you want to fish. Try drifting over know
reefs and wrecks. Try varying your depth. Try chumming to bring the fish
to the surface.

Sarge