A most expensive CD

Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

Default A most expensive CD

I can't open the blinds in a Texas Motel room....I don't even know if I'm in
Texas....I don't know where I am at.

If you have never had a blackout you can't understand, but I have had a
blackout. It's a terrible feeling really, I have tried so hard in my life to
keep this from happening...happening again.

I am laying in a bed, and before my eyes open I know that I do not know
where I am. I think about this.

The bed is soft, I have blankets and covers and pillows - a good sign. I am
not in jail . . . again.

A ceiling can tell you many things....it can tell you if you are home. It
can tell you if you are in a hospital. It can tell you if you are in a motel
or hotel and ceilings can tell you if you are in jail and can even tell you
the quality of the particular environs you find your self.

The ceiling didn't look bad. Definitely not a jail or hospital. Not knowing
where I was I wondered if I could afford it. A fifty dollar hotel n the USA
could cost you four hundred in certain parts of the world.

As I raised my head I confirmed my predicament. I was traveling.

A carry on luggage was there, along with the duffel bags, I was on the road
again. The main problem being , I did not know where I was going.

With a brief facial wash and combing of the hair and I ventured forth.

Picking a direction I lucked out, I found the hotel lobby.

The clerk greeted me with a "Good Morning Mr. Baker." On the one hand a bad
sign, what did I do to make the staff remember me? On the other hand she is
smiling.

We chatted and she spoke of all the people who checked in because their
flight was cancelled and my mind mind clicked into overdrive. I coyly
asked, "And what is the official name of this airport?"

Dallas Fort Worth she tells me.

With a cup of lobby coffee things piece together. I remember a lane change
and then a cancellation and something of a bus ride to the hotel. Not a bad
hotel at that...

I return to my room and am glad to realize that I have most, if not all of
my things. It sure beats the time I woke up in Port-au-Prince and discovered
I had no visa to enter the country...they almost wouldn't let me leave. . .

There is nothing I like better than exiting an airport, especially the first
time in a country, rather exciting and invigorating to look around and say,
"Now, what do I do?" It feels especially good after three martinis, it is my
bad luck that I find airport lounges a delightful place to drink and people
watch. Throw in a couple of delays and I am bagged. Been that way all my
life, nothing I can do about it.

But I regroup and board the shuttle to the airport. My duffel bags contain,
among other things, two sets of snorkel gear, a mailbox and a tackle box
full of shiny, things to start my salt water fishing career.

And in my carry on I've got a CD. "This One's for You, A Tribute to Guy
Clark."

'Glad you recommended it Jeff. It's been one hell of a trip to the store...

john

Old June 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman[_6_]

On Saturday, June 2, 2012 7:18:20 AM UTC+8, john b wrote:
[...]

So I take it you're not coming to HK anytime soon...?
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bahamas Jones

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 08:24:43 -0700 (PDT), riverman wrote:

So I take it you're not coming to HK anytime soon...?

From what I just read, you're asking the wrong guy.

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

On 06/03/2012 06:04 PM, Bahamas Jones wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 08:24:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

So I take it you're not coming to HK anytime soon...?

From what I just read, you're asking the wrong guy.

Oh, it's the right guy.
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Friday, June 1, 2012 6:18:20 PM UTC-5, john b wrote:

...It sure beats the time I woke up in Port-au-Prince and discovered I had no visa to enter the country...they almost wouldn't let me leave. . . ... john

After several readings, much googling, and not a few consultations with legal, linguistic and laughable authorities, I still find this among the most thought-provoking commentaries I have yet encountered.

g.
whose plans to break IN to a penetentiary have, alas, languished lo these many years for want of funds sufficient to garner adequate competent expert media representation.
Old December 28th, 2013, 06:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen[_2_]

Too funny! Where the hell was I when all of this actually took place?

Be careful Asadi!

Op