stupid wader question

Old January 11th, 2005, 12:54 AM
oldgoat

Default stupid wader question

Just got a pair of 3mm neoprene stockingfoot waders and boots, What do I
wear under them, just my underwear? Honest answers only ok. I feel stupid
enough just asking this question.

Old January 11th, 2005, 01:18 AM
daytripper

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:54:16 GMT, "oldgoat" wrote:

Just got a pair of 3mm neoprene stockingfoot waders and boots, What do I
wear under them, just my underwear? Honest answers only ok. I feel stupid
enough just asking this question.

3mm alone ain't gonna save your ass in 40F water, so you wear whatever you
need to account for the expected water temperature.

That might range from just sweatsocks and skivvies when the water is in the
60s, to really good thermal underwear and thick wool socks when fishing with
ice in the guides...

/daytripper (frankly, I'd have gone with breathables plus some nice fleece...)
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:27 AM
daytripper

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:18:34 -0500, daytripper
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:54:16 GMT, "oldgoat" wrote:

Just got a pair of 3mm neoprene stockingfoot waders and boots, What do I
wear under them, just my underwear? Honest answers only ok. I feel stupid
enough just asking this question.

3mm alone ain't gonna save your ass in 40F water, so you wear whatever you
need to account for the expected water temperature.

That might range from just sweatsocks and skivvies when the water is in the
60s, to really good thermal underwear and thick wool socks when fishing with
ice in the guides...

/daytripper (frankly, I'd have gone with breathables plus some nice fleece...)

forgive the faux pas of replying to my own post, but I should have mentioned
that some neoprenes are the living Devil to get on over bare skin - and even
worse to get *off* bare skin.

when I still used neoprene waders I did in fact always wear *something* on my
legs, even if vestigially thin (like jammie bottoms) just to avoid the
near-death experience of taking the waders off on a warm day...

/daytripper
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Padishar Creel

forgive the faux pas of replying to my own post, but I should have
mentioned
that some neoprenes are the living Devil to get on over bare skin - and

even
worse to get *off* bare skin.

---------
Talcum powder, but when I am in my neoprene's, I always have insulated
underwear and a bit of baby powder for my delicate skin.

Tuck the insulated underwear bottoms into your socks, that'll keep'm from
riding up when you put them on.

By the way if you fall in with your neoprene's and you have on insulated
underwear, heavy socks, and heavy wading boots, 10+ pounds of gadgets in
your vest, you will STILL float like a cork (at least I have on the
occasions I have taken a dip in a pool (for testing purposes), river and
lakes. It is a myth that you will fill up with water and drown...so never
fear taking a swim in your neoprene waders. I had problems keeping my feet
down, so make sure you have your feet going downstream if you fall in.

Don't take my advice suit up and jump in a friends apartment pool (leave the
spikes off though G)

As to breathables, I ain't so sure, so I just purchased a new pair of the
newest breathables and I will put them on with my fleece underwear and new
Ezflyfisher Chota boots (that came today!) and jump in my friends pool and
see what happens. I have read conflicting articles on breathable chest
waders so I will test them myself before I fall in the Deschutes River and
find out which article was right.

Chris

Maybe someone here can comment on the floating properties of breathables.

Old January 11th, 2005, 03:09 AM
daytripper

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:24:12 -0800, "Padishar Creel"
wrote:

forgive the faux pas of replying to my own post, but I should have
mentioned
that some neoprenes are the living Devil to get on over bare skin - and

even
worse to get *off* bare skin.

---------
Talcum powder, but when I am in my neoprene's, I always have insulated
underwear and a bit of baby powder for my delicate skin.

See how well the talc alone works on a warm day when it's time to take 'em
off. Hint: it doesn't :-(

Tuck the insulated underwear bottoms into your socks, that'll keep'm from
riding up when you put them on.

Yup.

[...]

One really shouldn't count on any intrinsic buoyancy of waders to save ones
life in a full immersion scenario, imo.

SOSpenders are worth the price and not terribly inconvenient.

/daytripper (And when they do go off they're pretty damned exciting! ;-)