Life in Congo, Part V: What a (long) strange trip its being....

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:03 PM
riverman

Default Life in Congo, Part V: What a (long) strange trip its being....

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Stan Gula" wrote in
:

I would like to see a reference for that too. My bull**** meter got
up to 75% on that one and I got curious. All I can find is one
environmental action group recommending a boycott of palm oil products
that are produced in areas where the orangutan still lives (because
people are clearing forests to plant oil palms), a few articles on
import bans (to shore up local production), some articles on
developing plantations (in Australia), and a reclassification of 'raw
palm oil' in India due to an import tax loophole. Nothing about
dangers in consumption but a lot of signs of a huge industry (who
knew!).

I've always heard that oiling up your palm can lead to blindness

Yeah, but NOT oiling up your palm can lead to all sorts of other problems.

--riverman
(you've been warned!)

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:03 PM
rb608

"riverman" wrote in message
If anything, there might be some first world Food and
Drug conflicts with the sanitation or quality of the product, since it IS
being produced in the heart of the jungle, and transported in all sorts of
marginally sterile containers (lets not even go there). But as for its
inherent danger...not a chance.

IIRC, there was a big thing a few years ago about its cumulative
contribution to high cholesterol through its prevalence in things like
non-dairy coffee creamers. Beyond that, though, I've never heard anything
about it being dangerous (and even that may be wrong.)

..02,
Joe F.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:07 PM
riverman

"rb608" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote in message
If anything, there might be some first world Food and
Drug conflicts with the sanitation or quality of the product, since it

IS
being produced in the heart of the jungle, and transported in all sorts

of
marginally sterile containers (lets not even go there). But as for its
inherent danger...not a chance.

IIRC, there was a big thing a few years ago about its cumulative
contribution to high cholesterol through its prevalence in things like
non-dairy coffee creamers. Beyond that, though, I've never heard

anything
about it being dangerous (and even that may be wrong.)

Try to track that down, Joel, just for curiosity. This site
http://mpob.gov.my/nut_12fact.htm says just the opposite, but we all know
about scientific research, especially the kind funded by the manufacturers
of the product itself.

Another site said how Palm Oil is the number two most consumed oil in the
world, behind Sunflower oil! I had no idea how large an industry it was.
--riverman

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
Mary Malmros

"Stan Gula" writes:

"BJ Conner" wrote in message
om...
"leaves with palm oil "
Palm oil is really dangerous, It's not allowed in many countrys now,
Australian for one.

"riverman" wrote in message
Wow, I'd like to know more about that. Too bad, palm oil is quite tasty.

I would like to see a reference for that too. My bull**** meter got up to
75% on that one and I got curious. All I can find is one environmental
action group recommending a boycott of palm oil products that are produced

Wrong kind of "dangerous". It's a monstrous clog on the arteries.
In its native form, I believe, it's got quite a bit of saturated
fat, and it frequently shows up in food products in a hydrogenated
form, which is the worst stuff out there. So, it's not bull****,
but nevertheless a really bizarre non sequitur.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:22 PM
JR

riverman wrote:

Try to track that down, Joel, just for curiosity. This site
http://mpob.gov.my/nut_12fact.htm says just the opposite, but we all know
about scientific research, especially the kind funded by the manufacturers
of the product itself.

Another site said how Palm Oil is the number two most consumed oil in the
world, behind Sunflower oil! I had no idea how large an industry it was.

Most of the palm oil in the world is used for industrial purposes. It's
where the brand name Palmolive came from.....

You ever get to Eastern Congo, have rice and beans at the market in
Bukavu..... tomatos, onions, pilipili, and swimming in palm oil...
tastes so good you won't care you're arteries are clogging.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Wolfgang

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
. ..

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Wayne Harrison" wrote...
"BJ Conner" wrote...
"leaves with palm oil "
Palm oil is really dangerous, It's not allowed in many

countrys now,
Australian for one.

lmao. i knew i could count on you, bj, to brighten this

dreary
monday
morning.

No ****. I think palm oil was about the least of riverman's

worries, wot?
--
TL,
Tim

yeah, well, scoff if you will, but just the other morning, on

the way to
work, i saw a 9 year old kid carelessly stick a curious toe into a

*small*
puddle of palm oil. i was unable to prevent the tragedy. within

four
seconds of contact, the evil substance had literally melted the

flesh from
her bones. oh, god, will i ever forget the stunning, pure

....whiteness...of
her lower leg bone.

thank god the aussies have moved quickly to spare *their*

children, and
senior citizens! when will we, arrogant, slothful *******s that we

are, act
to prohibit the importation of this hellish liquid?

contact "p.a.p.o", in care of bj conner's email addy, for

details of how
to help--won't you help? now, before it's too late...

yfitons
wayno

Codswallop!

When palm oil is outlawed only the gubmint will have palm oil!

My wife, yes. My dog, maybe. My palm oil, NEVER!

If they want my palm oil they'll have to slide it from my slippery
dead hands!

Wolfgang
i am the npoa and i vote.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
riverman

"JR" wrote in message
riverman wrote:

Try to track that down, Joel, just for curiosity. This site
http://mpob.gov.my/nut_12fact.htm says just the opposite, but we all

know
about scientific research, especially the kind funded by the

manufacturers
of the product itself.

Another site said how Palm Oil is the number two most consumed oil in

the
world, behind Sunflower oil! I had no idea how large an industry it was.

Most of the palm oil in the world is used for industrial purposes. It's
where the brand name Palmolive came from.....

MOST interesting! :-)

You ever get to Eastern Congo, have rice and beans at the market in
Bukavu..... tomatos, onions, pilipili, and swimming in palm oil...
tastes so good you won't care your arteries are clogging.

Will do, but that's what I have for lunch every day now! A local woman
brings a basket of food on campus for the workers, and I eat with them to
get the tasty food and to practice my Lingala. She makes rice and beans
almost every day, but sometimes replaces it with rice and a
kasava/caterpillar mix that is pretty good. One week I was gone for a
conference, and when I returned, someone told me that the Congolese at the
table were wondering where I was. I said "but they don't know my name! What
did they call me?" He translated her reply" They call you 'the white guy who
eats beans and rice each day'."

--riverman
(twgwebared)

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:31 PM
Wolfgang

"Stan Gula" wrote in message

.....(who knew!).

PalmoliveT

Wolfgang
a registered trademark of colgate-palmolive.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:34 PM
Tim J.

"Mary Malmros" wrote...
snip
So, it's not bull****,
but nevertheless a really bizarre non sequitur.

It is amazing to me that someone I've never seen post on roff before can sum up
its essence in one short sentence. golf clap
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:34 PM
riverman

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote in message
Wow, I'd like to know more about that. Too bad, palm oil is quite

tasty.

I would like to see a reference for that too. My bull**** meter got up

75% on that one and I got curious. All I can find is one environmental
action group recommending a boycott of palm oil products that are

produced

Wrong kind of "dangerous". It's a monstrous clog on the arteries.
In its native form, I believe, it's got quite a bit of saturated
fat, and it frequently shows up in food products in a hydrogenated
form, which is the worst stuff out there. So, it's not bull****,
but nevertheless a really bizarre non sequitur.

Hi Mary: I think I'm finding that the culprit is Palm Kernal Oil, which is
86% saturated fats and contributes to LDLs, whereas Palm Oil (or Palm Nut
Oil) is 50% saturated fats, and does not raise LDLs, and some resources
claim that it even is beneficial to the HDL/LDL ratio. I think what they use
here for consumption in raw form is Palm Nut Oil, but I could easily be
wrong on this (and will post the appropriate apology to BJ for challenging
his useful and thoughtful statement.

In fact, I'll just do that now. Sorry, BJ; calling your claim bull**** was
pretty insensitive and brash on my part. Looks like theres a lot more to it
than meets the eye, so thanks for the heads-up. I was WAY too quick on the
draw.

--riverman