War on ROFF

Old January 20th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Mike Connor

Default War on ROFF

I used to like this place, the camaraderie, discussion, the friendly help
and information that was dished out freely. Downright lies,
self-aggrandisement, and spam, especially from one specific person, were
the only real problems for me.

It now seems to have degenerated into a perverse club for a lot of
toothless haggling old women suffering from premature dementia, desperately
and mostly futilely, trying to bite and wound each other. Not surprising
that it sucks.

Even the off-topic stuff never bothered me much, I mainly ignored it.
Nowadays, it is practically all off-topic, and a great deal of personal
attacks and insults to boot. Ever wondered why hardly any newbies wander in
much anymore, or stay very long? Because it is just plain boring, reading a
lot of burnt out old wrecks trying their best to insult each other, in the
same old boring fashion, and anybody else who happens to get in the
crossfire, intentionally or otherwise.

Whatever, I donīt much like it anymore. I look in from time to time, in the
vague hope that there might be something interesting, but it is practically
always merely the same old vileness being dished out by the same people, and
contaminating others in the process.

At one time, the phrase " I would fish with him", was often used here, as
some sort of accolade. I have come to the conclusion that I would not fish
with quite a lot of people here, indeed, I would go out of my way to avoid
them. I have lost any respect I ever had for a goodly number, as a direct
result of their behaviour here.

It really is a shame.

MC

Old January 20th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Dave LaCourse

Mike Connor writes:

I used to like this place, the camaraderie, discussion, the friendly help
and information that was dished out freely. Downright lies,
self-aggrandisement, and spam, especially from one specific person, were
the only real problems for me.

Codswallop! Get over yourself, Mike. This is usenet not the local PTA.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old January 20th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Mike Connor

"Dave LaCourse" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Codswallop! Get over yourself, Mike. This is usenet not the local PTA.
Dave

Ah, the universal excuse. "This is usenet, itīs not real, so I can behave
like an arsehole, with impunity?". I wonder how some of you guys even
manage to look each other in the eye when you meet, or even in your own eyes
in the mirror.

For me at least, meeting some of you, after reading various stuff on here,
would be a most unpleasant experience, and one that I would prefer to avoid.
Fortunately not particularly difficult.

MC

Old January 20th, 2004, 01:08 PM
JR

Mike Connor wrote:

It now seems to have degenerated into a perverse club for a lot of
toothless haggling old women suffering from premature dementia, desperately
and mostly futilely, trying to bite and wound each other. Not surprising
that it sucks.

Not much in your post to take exception to, Mike. Still......

"Without any shadow of doubt, amidst this vertigo of shows and politics,
I settle myself ever the firmer in the creed, that we should not
postpone and refer and wish, but do broad justice where we are, by
whomsoever we deal with, accepting our actual companions and
circumstances, however humble or odious, as the mystic officials to whom
the universe has delegated its whole pleasure for us. If these are mean
and malignant, their contentment, which is the last victory of justice,
is a more satisfying echo to the heart, than the voice of poets and the
casual sympathy of admirable persons." --RWE

Or simply do something else with one's time.

JR
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:19 PM
rb608

"JR" wrote in message
"Without any shadow of doubt, amidst this vertigo of shows and politics,
I settle myself ever the firmer in the creed, that we should not
postpone and refer and wish, but do broad justice where we are, by
whomsoever we deal with, accepting our actual companions and
circumstances, however humble or odious, as the mystic officials to whom
the universe has delegated its whole pleasure for us. If these are mean
and malignant, their contentment, which is the last victory of justice,
is a more satisfying echo to the heart, than the voice of poets and the
casual sympathy of admirable persons." --RWE

That doesn't rhyme either. :-)

Joe F.

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Larry

Dave LaCourse wrote:

Codswallop! Get over yourself, Mike. This is usenet not the local

PTA.

Kind of interesting that you're both right.

This IS a place where people used to share freely information related to
flyfishing and occasionally tying, and would delve into the periodic
off-topic thread related to politics, personal issues or computer use
and it didn't REALLY get too ugly... AND it IS the USENET, it NEVER was
the PTA... but then again, I seriously doubt that many of you have ever
attended a PTA meeting, so you probably don't have any first hand
knowledge of how ugly THOSE can get!

I think the point Mike was raising was one can choose to avoid the OT
posts by simply deleting them, or choosing not to read them, but the
same people who post major discourses and publicly relish attacking one
another in those threads continue their vitriol into the threads on
flyfishing and attack one another's opinions as if they were trampling
on their political and/or moral ideals there as well.

Look at how people seemingly went out of their way to attack the poster
a month or so back who "had the nerve" to post a few questions about
line weights and rod sizes relate to a pile of tackle that had been left
to her by family members and referred to herself as a "newbie" and was
attacked for BEING A SHILL... even if she WAS a shill, to what benefit
would it have been to come here and ask the types of questions she
asked? Even if she had been provided some resources to look into
further or direct answers to the questions she posted, would sharing
that knowledge have been "against the ROFFian Code"??

It just goes WAY TOO FAR here sometimes... you guys take yourselves WAY
TOO ****ing serious... like you said Louie, it's the USENET...

Larry

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Dave LaCourse

Larry writes:

snippage for brev

It just goes WAY TOO FAR here sometimes...

For sure.

you guys take yourselves WAY
TOO ****ing serious... like you said Louie, it's the USENET...

Yes, but roff has helped more people with more questions than any other fly
fishing group. If you need a question answered, roff is the place to post it.
But, if you are a shill, or trying to advertise something by misrepresenting
yourself, Katy bar the door, 'cause you're gonna get shat upon.

With all its warts, bad breath, stinking senseless fights, roff is better than
most ng in its deportment and help in answering questions. jmo, of course.

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor wrote:
I used to like this place, ...

I have come to the conclusion that I would not fish
with quite a lot of people here, indeed, I would go out of my way to avoid
them. ...

This place is like any other. Most of the folks are decent enough sorts,
some small few will be friends for life and some small few aren't worth
the effort it takes to **** on them. Just like real life, no ?

I can count on the fingers of one hand, and have digits left over, those
here who I would not fish with, although there's probably ten times that
number who would refuse the offer. ;-) Such is life, who really gives a
**** anyway ?

If you don't like this place, why are you here ? Doesn't make sense to
me. Your post comes dangerously close to the one and only unforgivable
sin on roff. Sanctimony. Being something of an asshole myself, I cannot
abide a sanctimonious prick, although there's a couple of them here I
would fish with. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old January 20th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Mike Connor

"Ken Fortenberry" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag gy.com...
SNIP

If you don't like this place, why are you here ?

SNIP

An excellent point, and recently, I donīt really know why. Boredom probably,
and the lapse into a bad habit.

As you quite rightly say, who really gives a **** anyway?

TL
MC