Mussels or freshwater clams...

Old December 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Default Mussels or freshwater clams...

I don't now the difference I reckon...but since I have started "slow
rolling" a spinner bait on the bottom, I have been catching these
rascals! Sometimes they are a bitch to pull out of the mud....and how do
you get them to turn loose of your spinner without whacking them with a
rock .

Beautiful day out, just came in from fishing the back lake. Took three
rods...a spinner bait, jig, and my go to worm. I have my spinner bait on
the Ardent reel my son gave me, and I can throw it to the cypress tree
island in the middle of the lake...sweet reel! Caught two nice bass slow
reeling the spinner down the island bank, then nothing after that. Went
to the worm, just kinda stitching it up a drop off about 20 feet out,
got one nice bass, maybe 3 lbs. +, and several 2 lbs. Not sure what the
water temp is, but it's cold. Sunshine, clear blue skies, and in the
50s....I can deal with those "wintertime" conditions. .

John

Old December 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Haubenreich

I know what you mean, John. I get mussels around here on jigs, too. Not
enough to consider starting a mussel-fishing tournament, but frequently
enough so that I'm no longer surprised.

As a boy, I used to walk past an old Indian mound on a hill overlooking the
Tennessee River (now Watts Bar Lake). Covered now with earth, saplings, and
weeds, it originally consisted entirely of mussel shells dumped there by the
Indians who harvested them for food, tools, and decoration. Being
filter-feeders, and considering the quality of water passing down the
Tennessee these days, I don't know of anyone who eats freshwater mussels any
more. When I fish Kentucky Lake, though, I almost always see the mussel
divers out gathering freshwater pearls.

Maybe you'll get lucky one of these days and the mussel you catch will have
a surprise inside.

Joe
--
Secret Weapon Lures
Tackle systems engineered for innovative anglers