Hiding worm hooks.

Old December 11th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Marty

Default Hiding worm hooks.

CR wrote in message
om...
Not a bad idea. At least it will look like something besides metal.

Just my gut feelings here, but what's wrong with metal? I don't think the
bass knows the difference between soft plastic and metal. YOU do, of course.
How many millions of bass have been caught in clear water with dangling
trebles, split rings, spinnerbait arms and the like?

Old December 11th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Chris Jones

Warren, It is very red. Hot red. Christmas red. You get the idea! I
thought it was a gimmic but had to try, I am very gullible when it comes to
fishing tackle/equipment. Always have to try new/neat stuff I find. I was
one of those that got the Helicopter lure that Roland was hawking. But I
must truthfully say that the Cajun line worked and worked well for
monofiliment applications. It is still on my spinning rig for skipping
senkos.
Chris
"go-bassn" wrote in message
Just how red is the Cajun Red Chris?

Warren
--
http://www.fishingworld.com/MesaTackleSupply/
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com http://www.secretweaponlures.com

"Chris Jones" wrote in message
Chuck,
I know that the hook seems to stand out from your perspective, but from

my
experiences the fish will be more receptive to changes in the line

versus
hooks. I have unscientifically tested the red hook craze sweeping the
nation and from my humble experiences it mattered not at all. What did
matter was the type of hook, ie 2/0 G-Lock wide gap gammi on a 4" Senko

is
my go to bait in my local clear water lakes. The fish did not seem to

care
if it was red or black, at least as far as catching them was concerned.
Where as the line color in these lakes was a major factor. Green-line,

no
fish. Braided-line, no fish. Clear fluro-coated P-line, Fish On!
Flurocarbon, Fish On! Berkley XL Clear line, Fish On! and suprising

enough
to me I tried some Cajun Red Line and to my suprise, Fish On! A picture

is
worth a 1000 words so here is a link

http://www.cajunline.com/science.html
All non-superlines were 8 pound test. The braid was 2 pound - diameter.
Just my humble experiences, your mileage may vary.
Chris
"CR" wrote in message
om...
"Chris Rennert" wrote in message

CR,

Bob is right on with the red hook. This is what I switch to in

clear
water.
Also black nickel works good. Also I would switch from lo-vis green

mono to
straight P-Line Fluorocarbon or Seaguar Carbon Pro. These steps

have
improved my success in clear water, so I can personally vouch for

it.

Good luck and keep us up to date on how you do.

I like the idea of the red hook. I was also thinking of painting the
hook to match the bait I'm using. It just seems like the hook is WAY
more visible than the line. I have to look real close to see the line,
even in a couple inches of really clear water. The hook, however,
sticks out like a sore thumb. Switching to flourocarbon seems like
ordering a diet pepsi to go with your triple cheeseburger, in my most
humble and uninformed opinion.

That being said, I'll certainly try the fluorocarbon if I can't good
results on the mono.

Thanks!

Chuck.

Old December 11th, 2003, 02:47 PM
AJH

Isn't red one of the first colors to disapear under water?

I fish therefore I lie

Old December 11th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Chris Rennert

CR,

I wouldn't paint the hook, It slows down on your penetration time and could
lead to lost fish. Gamakatsu painted some hooks with fluorescent colors,
and I was having a heck of a time burying the hook with light line.

Chris

Old December 11th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Nikolay

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, AJH wrote:
Isn't red one of the first colors to disapear under water?

That's what they say ... but why then we use red lures ?
Any ideas?
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Chris Rennert

Disappears, well disappears as in turns black, but that is all dependent on
water color and depth. I believe in gin clear water you can still see red
at 10ft. I can't remember specifics, but I will look them up and try to add
more to this post. Other colors such as orange and chartreuse will be
visible deeper.

Chris

Old December 11th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Nikolay

Good point Chris. That explains why red lures work. I guess it may be
different with the line if it is translucent-red ... or maybe not. Maybe
it just turns black as well. OK, back to RichZ's Black Magic Marker on my
braids :-)

And BTW, aren't we getting carried away? Fly fishermen use Bright Orange
Line (pretty thick too), Braided Leaders, flies with the Hook being the
most visible part of them, and still catch fish (incl. Bass) in gin-clear
shallow water! It seems to me fish doesn't see the things exactly the way
we do (how else would you explain them hitting spinnerbaits?).
Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure until they (the fish) start
speaking to us. Until then - use the thing you feel confident with and
have fun.

Cheers,
Nikolay

Old December 11th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Chris Rennert

Are you talking to me? Is that supposed to be some kind of knock on my
advice? From what I remember AL was a troll on this newsgroup, are you
putting me in that category????

Chris
"ñKs" wrote in message
Do you know AL?

"CR" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for ways to improve my success in clear water. I've
switched to low-vis green 6lb mono and smaller lures. I was looking at
my 4" texas rigged senko, sitting there in about 6 inched of water and
it occurred to me that the real problem is the big, ugly, metallic
hook sticking out. What about painting it a more natural color? Maybe
hiding it somehow?

Any ideas?

Chuck.

Old December 11th, 2003, 06:45 PM
CR

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message ...
CR,

I wouldn't paint the hook, It slows down on your penetration time and could
lead to lost fish. Gamakatsu painted some hooks with fluorescent colors,
and I was having a heck of a time burying the hook with light line.

I was thinking about that. I really like using light wire hooks and
paint may defeat the purpose. This is getting too complicated! Maybe
I'll just use black. At least its an improvement over bronze.