Winter Patterns

Old December 15th, 2004, 09:09 PM
SimRacer

Default Winter Patterns

"RGarri7470" wrote in message
I'm in Raleigh and fish Jordan,
Harris and Falls Lakes with some regularity

Ever run into Chris Ferguson on those lakes? I visited him in the spring

couple of years ago and had a great time fishing those lakes.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

I've run into a fella named Chris on Harris a couple of times, never got a
last name though. Does he work at Shearon Harris Nuclear Plant by chance?
This is the plant that Harris Res/Lake is the cooling body for, would make
sense that he'd fish it. Jordan is much larger than Harris (Harris = 4500
acres, Jordan = 13000+ acres) and has some big'uns in it (including a small
populus of striped and hybrids) but it stays SO busy during the warm months,
and the fish over there, for me, are hard to find when it's cold. The guides
around here tell you to fish certain spots (rip rap South of Hwy 64 bridge
where the channel falls out of the shallow flats, the old railroad tracks
where they are in 20' of water, etc) and I've never done much there, at all,
when they were supposed to be there during the cold months.

It (Jordan) and Falls Lake are "supposedly" the next state record largemouth
hotspots as both lakes' records to this point are just ounces shy of the
state record, which *supposedly* came from a private farm pond near the
foothills of NC. Of course without any of the Florida strain up here, our
records will never be impressive to deep southerners or West Coasters...ours
is currently at 14-15, so 15 lbs would be a new record. I thought my 10-2
was in contention for the Harris record for a few days, found out later that
it was over 12 lb too.

When you're like me and don't tourney fish, citations and records are about
the only "goals" we can have outside of just some good quality time on the
water, away from the office. The good news is, if you have some fleece, good
rainwear, and a strong will, you can bass fish in NC (aside from the
mountains), year round. Other guys around here are getting their stuff
winterized right about now, I just changed the plugs and am ready to get
going in earnest! lol A lot less surface traffic, a lot less fishing
pressure, and winter fishing around here is supreme outside of the chilly
temps and finding the sluggish bass in 40șish water...

Old December 15th, 2004, 09:25 PM
SimRacer

"Scott Brown" wrote in message
Thank you fo r everyting Simracer.

I used to fish for trout all the time on the Davidson River before I
went in debt and bought the boat. Would never throw a fly though. I would
use an ultra lite rod and reel, and either throw a cheese work, or Panther
Martin (delayed Harvest) Have caught many trout in the streams around

here.
The only problem is you find a decent hole where you can pull one or two
fish out of, and you have got to practically spend the night there the

night
before to make sure you have the spot the next morning. There is an art

all
of it's own to learning how to throw a fly rod, and there are places on

the
Davidson, where it is restricted to fly fishing only and all catch and
release. I know there has got to be some huge fish up in that section.

Have
fun, and let us know how you do.

Yes, the body in question for me is the Watauga River. Our log home abuts an
"Undesignated" section, and rightly so, it's not very populated by fish. But
we're within a very short distance of both a "Delayed Harvest" section
(South of the 194 bridge in Valle Crucis) and a "Wild Trout Water" section
(runs parallel to/South of 105 near Foscoe) of the same river, so I've been
brushing up on the rules for each type of section and am thinking about
hiring a guide for the first try this coming year to get going right the
first time. There is a guide place located right there near Seven Devils
that has been hounding me to go out with them, and this may just be the year
I do it. There is also a nice fly fishing outfitter located there at the
base of Grandfather Mountain (Linville) that appears to have any equipment I
would need since I am no fly tier, should I ever get into it in earnest.

Thanks for the advice on camping at a spot. You're not the first person to
say that very same thing about popular places on the waterways up there.
That's another reason I thought I'd give a local guide a shot first, I
figure they have A places, B places, and C places to take their clients
during the season. Plus he can get me to casting like I almost know what I'm
doing too. ;-)

Old December 16th, 2004, 02:56 AM
RGarri7470

I've run into a fella named Chris on Harris a couple of times, never got a
last name though. Does he work at Shearon Harris Nuclear Plant

That's probably him - was he fishing out of a Ranger?
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old December 17th, 2004, 02:01 AM

My favorite winter pattern is going up north to my cottage, sitting in
the living room with a hot cup of coffee and the fire going and watching
a dozen guys freezing their butts off out on the lake through the
picture window. Aahhh can't wait.