....anyone know what happened?

Old November 16th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Mike

Default ....anyone know what happened?

Baseball ethics is an absolute joke! Don't even waste your time trying to
defend it.

Mike

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
Can you imagine if this was the NBA, MLB or NFL? In the NFL he would
have been suspended from one tournament and required to seek counseling.
In MLB he would have been ordered to start the next tournament blast off
at the end of the order. ...

Pete Rose has been booted out of MLB for life and he didn't
cheat at baseball, he placed bets on MLB while managing.
You can defend the so-called "sport" of bass fishing without
denigrating baseball.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old November 16th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Bass_Mr.

snipKen Fortenberry wrote:
Bass fishing is no more a "physical activity" than
tossing darts, or bowling ...

It is very clear that you have never gotten out of bed at 2am,driven a
couple of hours (or more),stood on the bow of a bass boat in a 20+ mph
wind,controlled that boat in a safe and efficient manner,fished your guts
out for 8 hours or more on a diet of crackers and water,competing against
people of all skill levels and expertise,then packed it all up and drove all
the way back.That is just a taste of what amateur bass club fishermen do.At
the pro level you can multiply that tenfold.
Corporate America must feel that bass fishing is a sport,or there wouldn't
be millions of dollars of sponsorship being poured into it.
When ESPN airs a "trout fishing competition" are they doing it because it is
a sport or because they just like seeing men wade around in rubber pants? I
urge you again to go into your fly fishing group and tell that crowd they
aren't involved in a sport.I guarantee you a lot of them would have their
rubber britches in a wad!

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
. ..
RichZ wrote:

Fishing IS a sport. Baseball, football et al are athletic competitions.

That distinction, the one between recreation and athletics,
is the one I use to separate mere competition from sport.
I guess it's just semantics but to my mind sport is between
athletes. And no offense intended but bowlers, dart throwers,
golfers, and bass fishermen are not athletes.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old November 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM
JR

It is a fine line between sport and not sport. Even if you look at
baseball, not all are athletes. (Look at john Kruk) But to hit a 90mph
pitch is something I could not do.

I played college and semi-pro soccer, and beleive that is a sport.

I have looked at Competative fishing as a sport, yet I sometimes have
trouble calling it such. I have gotten up at 2am, I have spent 11 or 12
hours in the boat fishing. I have even tried to clain to my wife that it
is a rough thing to do, and called it work once.

In the end it is still fishing. And no matter what we call it, it sure
beats work. Even a 12 hour day on the water, without a bite is better
then a day dealing with clients, or getting yelled at by a boss.

So no matter what we call this great pastime of ours, we just need to
enjoy it. It sure beats the alternatives.

Old November 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Bass_Mr. wrote:
Corporate America must feel that bass fishing is a sport,or there wouldn't
be millions of dollars of sponsorship being poured into it. ...

If corporate America felt they could market and sell tiddlywinks
they would sponsor tiddlywinks competitions. But that wouldn't
make tiddlywinks a sport.

It's just semantics, Warren asked me flat out if I consider
tournament bass fishing a sport. I do not. But if you think it
is, that's fine with me.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Maybe we should ask the fish what they think...is it a sport, or
recreation to them? I know they "win" about half the time, or better (at
least that's my eperience). Maybe if I took steroids, my hook sets would
improve!

Old November 16th, 2005, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

John Kerr wrote:
Maybe we should ask the fish what they think...is it a sport, or
recreation to them? I know they "win" about half the time, or better (at
least that's my eperience). Maybe if I took steroids, my hook sets would
improve!

LOL, I don't know John but if I was gonna ask a bass a question
it'd probably be something like, Where do your aunts and uncles
hide out ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old November 17th, 2005, 03:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

OMG, bassn' agreeing ???????????? ;-)

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Lol Ken, NOW I agree with you ;-)

Warren

Old November 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Bass_Mr. wrote:
Corporate America must feel that bass fishing is a sport,or there wouldn't
be millions of dollars of sponsorship being poured into it. ...

If corporate America felt they could market and sell tiddlywinks
they would sponsor tiddlywinks competitions. But that wouldn't
make tiddlywinks a sport.

It's just semantics, Warren asked me flat out if I consider
tournament bass fishing a sport. I do not. But if you think it
is, that's fine with me.

--
Ken Fortenberry

As long as we're arguing semantics, baseball and football can't be
sports, 'cause they're GAMES. That's why a participant is called a
PLAYER, because a GAME is something you PLAY. Kinda like tiddlywinks.

Old November 17th, 2005, 01:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:Uaoef.20$TR5.3
@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

OK, so maybe not poker but how about darts and bowling ?

Darts, like fishing, is a sport one can pursue with a cigarette in the
mouth and a beer in one hand.

--
Scott (holder of three Ton80 patches!!!)
Reverse name to reply