You've got to pay attention,

Old August 27th, 2006, 05:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Craig Baugher

Default You've got to pay attention,

I'm dead! 48, smoke, out of shape, eat wrong, weigh close to 290-lbs,
constantly under a ton of pressure, I simple don't have a chance.

Actually, it is quite weird. Genetics have to play a major role. A friend
who was a marathon runner, who went to the doctor for regular basis for
physicals died at 35 from a massive heart attack. A kid down the street,
bodybuilder had a major heart attack at age 18, only has 25% of his heart
left, and has lost his foot on one leg, and three toes on his other already
since the heart attack. A very good friend has had three heart attacks by
the age of 49. He only has 25% left too, and stills smokes like a chemney.

BUT ITS GOOD TO HEAR YOU'RE DOING GOOD STEVE!

--
Craig Baugher

Old August 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

been meaning to quit for a while now, this just adds a certain amount of
importance to it.

When I was in the ambulance, on the way to the hospital, the paramdedic
asked -- "Are you a heavy smoker?"

"Up until 45 minutes ago, I was." And I really have never wanted one since.
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Craig Baugher" wrote in message
I'm dead! 48, smoke, out of shape, eat wrong, weigh close to 290-lbs,
constantly under a ton of pressure, I simple don't have a chance.

Actually, it is quite weird. Genetics have to play a major role. A
friend who was a marathon runner, who went to the doctor for regular basis
for physicals died at 35 from a massive heart attack. A kid down the
street, bodybuilder had a major heart attack at age 18, only has 25% of
his heart left, and has lost his foot on one leg, and three toes on his
other already since the heart attack. A very good friend has had three
heart attacks by the age of 49. He only has 25% left too, and stills
smokes like a chemney.

BUT ITS GOOD TO HEAR YOU'RE DOING GOOD STEVE!

Thank you. Now, are you coming for the NWC?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old August 28th, 2006, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Z

Steve, I agree with the others that said PLEASE dump the smokes. My dad did
not quit until he had a stroke that partially paralyzed his left side at age
57. I have 6 grandkids with 2 more on the way at age 51 and I just started
walking 2-3 miles a night with my wife to drop some pounds. I want to teach
every one how to fish and you do to with yours. You survived this time for a
reason. Make the best of it. God bless. Joe Z.
ps, I am not dying until I make the NWC at least once. ;-)

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...
To your body that is. This past week on Tuesday afternoon, I was feeling
kinda crappy but just put it off to "some kind of bug" or "just having a
bad day." After the feeling didn't change but started to get worse, I
started thinking about what might be going on.
Shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, pulse over 130 and numbness
in my left arm, told me that this just might be cause for concern. I asked
my wife if she minded doing me a little favor?

I probably shouldn't have told her what was going on, but I couldn't think
of any way to get her to drive to the Emergency Room without telling. I
might have been safer driving myself!

Well, it turned out that I was in the middle of having a heart attack! So,
after a little helicopter ride to a cardiac center, two stents placed in
my coronary arteries and some (actually a pile) of meds that I'll be on
the rest of my life, I'm fine (I think).

For the record, I'm 49 years old, in fairly good shape, but between the
smoking and being far too busy, (firefighter/emt, fishing guide, custom
rod builder, outdoor writer, editor, webmaster, plus a couple other little
"projects") I guess it was a bit too much.

I was able to set a record for the shortest stay in the Cardiac Intensive
Care Unit because I recognized the warning signs and I'm generally in good
shape. Plus, I was told that there is very little damage to my heart. So
guys (and gals), the next time you feel lousy, consider what else might be
happening. Learn the warning signs and heed them!

Old August 28th, 2006, 03:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jim Laumann

Steve

I am glad you are still with us. Please loose the cigs, for Janet,
your kids, and your grandkids - including the little one on the way.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery, hope its a great
NWC.

Jim

Old August 28th, 2006, 05:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Joe Z" wrote in message
Steve, I agree with the others that said PLEASE dump the smokes. My dad
did not quit until he had a stroke that partially paralyzed his left side
at age 57. I have 6 grandkids with 2 more on the way at age 51 and I just
started walking 2-3 miles a night with my wife to drop some pounds. I want
to teach every one how to fish and you do to with yours. You survived this
time for a reason. Make the best of it. God bless. Joe Z.
ps, I am not dying until I make the NWC at least once. ;-)

Yep, I agree. There's still time to sign up for the NWC Joe.

And thank you for your concern,

Old August 28th, 2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Jim Laumann" wrote in message
Steve

I am glad you are still with us. Please loose the cigs, for Janet,
your kids, and your grandkids - including the little one on the way.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery, hope its a great
NWC.

Thanks Jim, working on that even as I type this.

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
WARREN WOLK

Steve you're too great a person to poison yourself!

6 years this past May since my last puff, you can do it!

It'll be the most satisfying thing you ever do in your life...

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com

Old August 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
fishtale

Thanks for the advice and listing the warning signs. Hope you have a
speedy recovery. You seem to have a lot on your plate concerning
sidelines. As a comment, which you already may know, if you focus on
say one or two sidelines you may get a higher overall return and also
more leisure time.