Surf Fishing, Isle of Palms, SC

Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:18 AM
greg98gts

Default Surf Fishing, Isle of Palms, SC

Has anyone been surf fishing on the Isle of Palms, SC, specifically
Wild Dunes beaches?

We are two weeks away from our annual trip. Love to surf fish there,
great action. Usually catch whiting and sand sharks. We go the week
after Labor day, when there is hardly anyone there. All the room I
want and need.

Over the past 4 years I have been using the whiting as bait and
getting huge hits that I am assuming are large black tip sharks from
reading other posts. Every year I get closer and closer to landing
one. I've been increasing my line test ever year as well.

Every day at about 5pm, the whiting run from north to south and it is
a field day. I catch as many as I can with two surf rods setup for
"general" surf fishing. Then I have one shorter, stronger rod setup
specifically for shark fishing. I take the whole whiting, cut it so
it bleeds, then put in on a #3 salt water hook with a steel leader. I
walk out to my thighs and cast as far as I can. Literally within 3
minutes, it hits and hits hard, almost bending the rod in half. I am
fighting and fighting with it, eventually the knot holding the steel
leader gives way. I am using a solid fishermans knot, I think the
test was not high enough at 40#. This year I am bumping up to 65#.
That should do the trick, I hope. I also have become more patient and
letting the shark run a little as suggested from some more experienced
shark fishermen.

Look forward to landing the big one this year and having it mounted!

Let me know if you have any suggestions, thoughts or experiences.

Greg
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Rodney

greg98gts wrote:

I am using a solid fishermans knot, I think the
test was not high enough at 40#. This year I am bumping up to 65#.
That should do the trick, I hope. I also have become more patient and
letting the shark run a little as suggested from some more experienced
shark fishermen.

Look forward to landing the big one this year and having it mounted!

Let me know if you have any suggestions, thoughts or experiences.

Greg

Greg, your going about this all wrong

When shark fishing from the beach I use only 20 lb line, sometimes up to
500 yds of it if the big ones are running, 300 yds works fine for black
tips up to 6 feet in length

I set my drag properly, and let them run, instead of trying to horse
them in, I have spent over 3 hours hooked up to a shark, before beaching
it. you need to slow down, don't try to force the shark in, wear him out
first.

Now I do use 10 to 20 yds of "Spectra 100# braid" attached to the 20#
mono, then I use 2 to 3 feet of steel attached to the spectra. The
Spectra is too keep the sharks skin from cutting the 20#, it also aid in
landing the shark, along with a big hand gaft
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old August 24th, 2004, 08:43 PM
greg98gts

Hi Rod...

Thanks for the tips! I knew I had the wrong setup and probably needed
to be a little more patient. It's a thrill to just fight a couple
every trip, it would be even nicer to bring one in.

A couple of follow up questions...

What do you use for bait? Have you tried my idea of putting the
entire whiting on the hook, if so what size hook do use?

What size rod do you use?

What is the weight of the 6ft black tip?

Do you use any specific knot aside from the standard fishermans knot?

Thanks again.
Greg

Old August 24th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Rodney

greg98gts wrote:

What do you use for bait?

What ever I can catch,, usually blue fish

Have you tried my idea of putting the
entire whiting on the hook,

Sure have, even used whole blue fish

if so what size hook do use?

9/0 Mustad

What size rod do you use?

Big :-)

You need a rod that can handle throwing 1 lb (or what ever the total
weight of your bait and hook weight is) a lot of times that means you
must use a smaller piece of cut bait

What is the weight of the 6ft black tip?

Never weighed one that large, the 4 footers run about 40 lbs, I would
think the 6 ft would go 80 to 100

Do you use any specific knot aside from the standard fishermans knot?

Yes I do, I use the knots shown on my web site for the EZKnot tool,,
sorry but I'm sold out of tools

http://ezknot.com/Frontpage.htm

Just click on a knot and you are shown how to tie it,, I use the line to
line to put the Spectra to the Mono, this cast perfectly through the rod
eyes, and I have never had it fail

Old August 25th, 2004, 01:41 AM
greg98gts

Hi Rod...

Thanks for the follow up and suggestions.

It's great to fight them, but bringing them in has to be awesome.

I have a couple of follow up questions, if you don't mind.

You use 300yds of 20# line and 10 to 20 yds of 100# braided line, how
do you connect the 10 to 20yds of 100# braided to the 20# line?

What do you use for bait and what size hook do you use? Have you
tried whiting, it seems to work every time.

Do you use any special knots, aside from the standard fishermans knot?

What do you use to kill the shark if you do not release them? I plan
on using a club.

I never thought of the hand gaft, probably a good idea.

Thanks for the help.
Greg

Old August 25th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Rodney

Greg Berry wrote:

You use 300yds of 20# line and 10 to 20 yds of 100# braided line, how

do you connect the 10 to 20yds of 100# braided to the 20# line?

http://ezknot.com/line2line.htm

What do you use for bait and what size hook do you use? Have you

tried whiting (sp), it seems to work every time for me.

Sure whiting works,, anything works,, the best is blue fish and bonita

Do you use any special knots, aside from the standard fisherman’s knot?

On this rig I use the knot above, and this knot to tie the Spectra to
the steel leader

http://ezknot.com/hookandlure.htm

What do you use to kill the shark if you do not release them? I plan

on using a club.

well,, I carry a two shot S.S. 357 mag derringer in my pocket

When it goes off it just sounds like a load firecracker, then it goes in
the pocket real fast, no one knows it's there

I have also used a hand ax to chop off the head, some I just let the air
kill them once they are on the beach, some a big knife through the brain

I never thought of the hand gaff, probably a good idea.

Not just an idea, it is a MUST!!!!! how were you planning on getting the
thing beached , wading out there and grabbing it's tail ????????????