Live bait to bass fish with. Right or Wrong?

Old April 8th, 2007, 04:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Me[_2_]

Default Live bait to bass fish with. Right or Wrong?

How do you guys feel about using live bait to bass fish with?
Does it take any of the sport out of it?
My neighbor spends the winter in Florida and fishes with large shiner for
bass.
I just don't think I would get the same satisfaction catching a bass on live
baits as I do with artificial, but I am shore that a 15lb base on live bait
would change my mind.

Old April 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Donut

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:22:51 -0500, "Me"
wrote:

How do you guys feel about using live bait to bass fish with?
Does it take any of the sport out of it?
My neighbor spends the winter in Florida and fishes with large shiner for
bass.
I just don't think I would get the same satisfaction catching a bass on live
baits as I do with artificial, but I am shore that a 15lb base on live bait
would change my mind.

You don't seem to have a problem using minnows for crappie. What's the
difference, in your mind, to using them for Bass?

Using live bait is an effective way to catch big predatory fish of all
kinds. As long as it's legal, give it a try. Only then will you know
if it "satisfies" you.

Here in Oregon it is illegal to use live bait. Some very selfish
people trying to catch the "big one" introduced Tui chub to several
lakes. These Tui chub eventually crowded out the game fish in many
lakes, most notably Diamond lake.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/diamond_lake/index.asp

My Grandpa told stories of catching VERY big native Redside Trout on
the Deschutes river by hooking mice through the scruff of their necks
and putting them on pieces of wood. He said he'd let them drift down
into an eddy, and then tug them of the wood so they'd start swimming
for the shore. Hard to get a more natural action than that

Don

Old April 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

Me wrote:
How do you guys feel about using live bait to bass fish with?
Does it take any of the sport out of it?

A lot of people are going to disagree with me on here, the reason will
be self evident

This whole thing about "sport" with lures was started with the lure
manufacturers that sponsor Bass tournaments, (and just made their
livings from selling lures) they were designed (the tournaments) for
only one purpose "sell more lures". I think the only tournaments today
you can't use live bait are Bass, tournaments for most other species
allow you to use either lures or live bait.

These lure manufactures spent/spending huge sums of money
convincing,(brain washing) through their "sponsored" bass professionals,
the fishermen into believing, it's not a sport unless you use lures
and my sponsor's lures are the best to use. (most TV fishing shows do
the same as the lure manufacturers pays their bills) It's called
marketing. Now many bass fishermen believe what they have been sold is
true, there is no sport unless you use fake baits, they will fight you
over this, they will flame you over this. I make my living from people
using lures, I'm now on the inside of this industry, I should not be
telling people this, but I think it is a huge disservice to the
fishermen not to, especially those fishermen who have never used live
bait. DO I get a bigger thrill catching a hog on my rigs, and lures, of
course "I" do. Am I disappointed when a big bass hits a live Blue gill
I've thrown out for a huge cat fish ? Heck NO ! It's a blast to land,
just the same

My neighbor spends the winter in Florida and fishes with large shiner for
bass.
I just don't think I would get the same satisfaction catching a bass on live
baits as I do with artificial,

Your mind has been brain washed from years of advertising, and
convincing from those who make their living by selling or marketing
lures, or from other fishermen who have had their brains washed.

but I am shore that a 15lb base on live bait
would change my mind.

Maybe,, I mean you would enjoy it, but because of your mental training
by the lure industry, you would feel a little hollow in the pit of your
stomach

Bill Dance was filming a TV show on bream fishing with his grand
daughter, see asked him, Grand Pa, why are we not fishing with chirppers
(what she called crickets) , We always bream fish with chirppers, His
reply, no chirpper company will pay me to fish with them.

Now in other species professional tournaments, the lure companies are
minor sponsors, the boats, motors, rod's and reels, electronics pay most
of the bills, actually they do now in bass fishing as well, but he lure
companies is where it all started, and their first rule was "NO LIVE BAIT"

Don't get me wrong, I never fish for bass with live bait any longer,
Heck my Wiggle rig is better than live bait, I've proved it in head to
head testing against live bait, over and over again. Now sometimes I
will use "dead" minnows or shad on it, and these do out catch the lures
on it, as well as out catching the "live" minnows and shad not on it.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Me[_2_]

What's the
difference, in your mind, to using them for Bass?

Crappie where I live (Ky) have a tendency to get over populated. Most small
lakes don't even have a size limit on Crappie. We look at crappie as a pan
fish not a sport fish. We catch them 30 to 40 at a time to eat.
Most of the time thaw I use a jig just because I don't like fooling with
live bait.

Old April 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Me[_2_]

I don't feel that I am brain washed because my brother and I have poured our
own jigs, spinner baits, and soft plastics for some time now.

Old April 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

Me wrote:
I don't feel that I am brain washed because my brother and I have poured our
own jigs, spinner baits, and soft plastics for some time now.

Of course you don't, no one does, the mind set is "lures" are more
sporting, Like it takes more skill to catch bass on lures than live
bait, in fact in most cases this is true, two fishermen using the same
lure, one will catch more than the other due to the skill of his
presentation. When using live bait, in most situations, there is no
"presentation" skill involved. The live bait does it for you

That's what makes my Wiggle rig so good, it allows the fishermen many
different presentations with the same lure, even to the point of a
better presentation that what live bait gives the fish, the reason is
live bait can only struggle for a few seconds then they are tired, their
"highest" fish drawing action is over quickly, when you are wiggling,
the lure does not get tired (and neither do you), you can mimic an
injured bait's struggle for ever, even in one spot (which when a bait is
injured it actually stays in one spot) This takes the action from the
manufacturer's hands, and places it in the fisherman's hands

Here are two minnow lures on the Wiggle rig,, no live minnows can act
like this but a few seconds, then they are done , now this is a
presentation that few fish can resist, and can be done for ever

http://ezknot.com/2minnows.wmv

Here is a plastic worm, just showing the "maximum" action the fisherman
can place on his plastic worms with this technique of fishing. It is the
only method of fishing that can actually make a plastic worm move like a
real one.

http://ezknot.com/12worm.wmv

These links will just open the movie clip file, not take you to my site,
this is shown only for educational purposes of lure presentation, to
show that some lures can be presented better than live bait, I could
care less if anyone buys anything.

I challenge others to post lure actions videos on this group, for
comparison, and for teaching how to obtain those actions, so everyone
learns better methods of fishing
Old April 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
fganje

I find that fishing with live bait is one of the more relaxing ways to enjoy
fishing...... Lay back and catch some rays and watch a bobber being tugged
around by a large shiner. It is also one of the most productive methods on
the Minnesota and North Dakota which I fish. I'm not into making a fishing
trip hard work. And there is the adrenaline rush when the bobber
disappears.

Old April 8th, 2007, 05:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

fganje wrote:
I find that fishing with live bait is one of the more relaxing ways to enjoy
fishing...... Lay back and catch some rays and watch a bobber being tugged
around by a large shiner. It is also one of the most productive methods on
the Minnesota and North Dakota which I fish. I'm not into making a fishing
trip hard work. And there is the adrenaline rush when the bobber
disappears.

Amen to that, I like it (live bait fishing) for that as well, it makes
fishing relaxing, but now a days I don't do it for bass, mainly cat fish
and crappie

Old April 9th, 2007, 07:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
John

Donut Don opined to the use of live bait question:

Here in Oregon it is illegal to use live bait. Some very selfish
people trying to catch the "big one" introduced Tui chub to several
lakes. These Tui chub eventually crowded out the game fish in many
lakes, most notably Diamond lake.

Um...It's a little more complex than that Don. Oregon DF&W is trying to
minimize their costs.

Here are the facts. Out here in the West a live bait fish species in one
watershed can sometimes wreck havoc when transported over the hill and
introduced into the next watershed. The disaster is often magnified when the
species is removed from a river, with natural enemies, and planted into a
lake that is either man-made or a lake like Diamond Lake that did not have
naturally occurring fish. Diamond was trout-stocked for over 100 years. It
was stocked with rainbow trout derived from the McCloud River, south of the
Klamath basin. ODF&W, like most states, used the McCloud strain because it
is hatchery-friendly; low cost, disease resistant, high yield,
transportable, etc. El Cheapo.

The tui chub is indigenous to the Klamath River basin just a few miles south
of Diamond Lake. But this is not the first tui chub disaster in Diamond
Lake - it happened in 1954! The rotenone cost to kill the tui chub back then
sure wasn't the $10 million+ it costs today! So last September they planted
a trout species that feeds on minnows. (Sounds like BC's Blackwater
species??) I have not seen any research that showed just how this specific
trout species is ideally suited to a high elevation, high desert sunken
volcano lake. I am not sure how well the re-introduction will go. Time
will tell.

You said the tui were planted by "Some very selfish people trying to catch
the "big one.""
There is no evidence that the illegal plantings were done by "very selfish
people" or anybody "trying to catch the big one." It could have been people
with lack of education, or knowledge of the law. It also could have been
some Looney biologist or lazy hatchery employee. Who knows? Who cares? You
can bet it'll happen again. And if the new trout species they planted go for
minnows in a big way instead of marshmallows, Powerbait, worms, cheese and
the like, I bet there will be many more tui used at Diamond in the future
regardless of all the money spent trying to catch the people illegally
fishing with live tui chub bait.

Yes it's illegal to use live bait in Oregon. But not just to protect the
resource. Although Diamond is the headwaters of the Umpqua, it can be sealed
off and treated as a big laboratory. ODF&W can keep throwing money at the
problem and maybe someday they can solve Diamond's problem. Sadly there can
never be enough laws nor money to solve all the other waterbody problems and
few are as self-contained as Diamond Lake.

John