Rod, Reel, Tackle and line help please!

Old November 27th, 2003, 05:33 PM
willherb

Default Rod, Reel, Tackle and line help please!

I am an amateur to a degree. I got given a rod and reel and was taught the
basics of fishing. I have no problem setting up a very basic rig and
catching fish however when it comes to the technical stuff I am poor. I go
beach and pier fishing. The eye at the end of my rod is going and the
others are going green so I have decided to go nuts and over hall the lot.

What I need to know is for the :

1.1 Rod what material should it be made from
1.2 What should the casting weight be
1.3 Strength for pier fishing
1.4 Any thing else

2.1 Which reel should I get fixed or multi though I don't like the idea of
the birdnests multi's can give
2.2 Once decided on fixed or multi what else to look for

3.1 What tackle other than hooks, swivels and the 3 way swivels?
3.2 What weight of weight?

4 Is braided line the best and if not what else should I look for that will
be strong but not stretch to much so I can tell whether I have a bite or
not.

I know its a lot but I don't want to waste money. I don't want cheap and
cheerful but not expensive rubbish that I don't really need.

Many thanks for your help guys and girls and keep fishing big fish just
leave some for me

Old November 27th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"willherb" wrote in message
I am an amateur to a degree. I got given a rod and reel and was taught the
basics of fishing. I have no problem setting up a very basic rig and
catching fish however when it comes to the technical stuff I am poor. I go
beach and pier fishing. The eye at the end of my rod is going and the
others are going green so I have decided to go nuts and over hall the lot.

What I need to know is for the :

1.1 Rod what material should it be made from

***Rods are either graphite or fiberglass.

1.2 What should the casting weight be

***That is going to be totally dependant upon fishing conditions, current flow, tides, etc., whether
you plan on fishing on the bottom, surface or someplace in between.

1.3 Strength for pier fishing

***That is going to depend on the size/species fish you are targetting.

1.4 Any thing else

***A book could be written on "Anything Else?"

2.1 Which reel should I get fixed or multi though I don't like the idea of
the birdnests multi's can give

***Spinning Tackle is easier to use, but baitcasting (multi), in the hands of a proficient caster
can reach greater distances and offer more control over a fish.

2.2 Once decided on fixed or multi what else to look for

***Quality construction, multiple bearings, adequate line capacity, smooth drag, proper size for the
job.

3.1 What tackle other than hooks, swivels and the 3 way swivels?

***Again, a book could be written on this subject. You're going to have to fine tune the question a
little bit more. You'll need lures, weights, floats, leader material, etc. depending on the type of
fishing you're doing at the time.

3.2 What weight of weight?

***That is totally dependant upon the depth of the water being fished, currents, tides, size of
bait, etc.

4 Is braided line the best and if not what else should I look for that will
be strong but not stretch to much so I can tell whether I have a bite or
not.

***Best is a relative term. Mono offers more stretch, which can be an advantage when playing a
fish, acting somewhat like a shock absorber, but it also means that hooksets are more difficult.
Braided offers great strength/line diameter ratio and fantastic hooksets, but can make playing a
fish more dependant upon proper drag settings and angler ability.

I know its a lot but I don't want to waste money. I don't want cheap and
cheerful but not expensive rubbish that I don't really need.

***There's far more information you need than can be answered in one e-mail. It would be a great
help if you could define local conditions and species/type of fishing you wish to do.

Many thanks for your help guys and girls and keep fishing big fish just
leave some for me

Good luck,
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old November 28th, 2003, 12:45 AM
licker

Since you are in England try going to
http://www.anglinguk.net/acatalog/Sw...ishing_19.html
The sight can link you with the proper tackle for type of fish sought.

Sarge

Old November 28th, 2003, 01:55 PM
ASIS

Welcome to the wonderful world of fishing... may i suggest you visit these
sites which i think may help with your enquiries;
1. www.rexhunt.com.au
2. www.nwfcau.com

tight lines and good fishing

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old November 28th, 2003, 04:56 PM
willherb

For the fishing itself I would be fishing of a peir with a drop to the water
of about 20ft and i would be after fish from about 1-8 pound the latter more
hopefull than reallity. salt water and i am not overly worried about the
casting distance.

Hope this new info can help my question become more answerable.