TR: Another day, another steelhead (well, almost)

Old November 30th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Peter Charles

Default TR: Another day, another steelhead (well, almost)

Got out again -- lovely day, started out overcast but brightened and
warmed up.

The best hole is on the far side of the channel but there's another
hole mid way out so best to fish it first. About ten minutes in,
there's a grab on the line -- nothing much but a definite grab. OK,
let's see if he still wants to play, put cast in to the same area,
then another, then another -- nothing. One more try only this time, I
lead with the rod tip so that the fly runs a bit higher and a bit
closer.

Tug . . . . TUG . . . . BANG!!! Huge head shake and fishy gone.
Haul up the line and the fly is gone as well. The bugger broke me off
with a single head shake. Not a small fishy. Biggest whack from a
steelhead yet. Would've liked to have seen it. BTW, dummy me had the
line in a death grip, that's why it busted off.

Cross to the far hole and swing, swiing, swing. Nada.

Damn bottom, nope the bottom is moving. Small one. This little
steelie, probably like the 18 incher I caught last week, is ripping
back and forth, making a lot of fuss for a little guy. I'm playing
him casually with the tip high and the bugger runs at me. Ooops too
slow picking up the slack, bye, bye fishy number 2.

So goes hour number one. Two, three, and four follow with only a
single tug to mar their passing.

Julien flags me down from his van and we head off to the dam to see if
Rick is having any lucky -- lucky bugger's gone two for two. -- but
he's drifting an egg sack on a spinning rod so they don't COUNT!!!

Rick is Loomis Pro staff and he has the new Deveron 15' - 9/10 -- very
sweet. I'm popping out some casts and Rick motions toward the black
mark on the line at the rod tip. Rick marks his lines off at
intervals so he knows the distance at which he is fishing. He tells
me I just hit a 100 footer with the last cast. The rod made it easy.
Start counting the pennies . . .

Oh Jo honey, sweetie . . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Mike Connor

Default Another day, another steelhead (well, almost)

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
Got out again -- lovely day, started out overcast but brightened and
warmed up.

SNIP

Sounds a lot like the seatrout I didnīt land this morning. Had to give up
after two hours anyway, my back, ( slipped disc, and the aftermath of a
dislocated shoulder), simply refused to cooperate. Getting old and
knackered is really unpleasant!

Only fished the double hander a few times, but am enjoying myself. Certainly
easier on me, than trying to use a single hander with a haul. The main
disadvantage seems to be merely holding the rod, after a while, it is just
too heavy for me. Any tricks you know of to alleviate this?

The rod is well balanced, ( 14 ft, self built), but I just can not seem to
find a way of comfortably holding it for long. Strange really, as I am
quite used to very long rods, but when retrieving, I can not find a good
position. It would be better with the reel up the butt, ( as in a float rod
or similar), but of course this interferes with casting.

Any ideas?

TL
MC

Old November 30th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Peter Charles

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:13:33 +0100, "Mike Connor"
wrote:

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Four hours of holding and casting with no soreness -- works for me.
Look for trout sized two-handers to become more popular as the boomer
generation ages. There's no doubt that it's easier with two than with
one.

As far as holding goes, rod parallel with the water, hand on the
static balance point of the rod (inculiding the line out), elbow
comfortably bent and back. If your elbow is forward, it strains
everything. Hold it with your elbow back so that your rod holding
hand is almost at your side. Much more relaxed that way and it
doesn't stress the bicep or wrist.

Old November 30th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Willi & Sue

Peter Charles wrote:

Got out again -- lovely day, started out overcast but brightened and
warmed up.

Tug . . . . TUG . . . . BANG!!! Huge head shake and fishy gone.

That's what you get for using 7X.

Willi

Old November 30th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Peter Charles

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:39:12 -0700, Willi & Sue
wrote:

Peter Charles wrote:

Got out again -- lovely day, started out overcast but brightened and
warmed up.

Tug . . . . TUG . . . . BANG!!! Huge head shake and fishy gone.

That's what you get for using 7X.

Willi

Funny, ha ha. Make sure that beer is good and cold.

Old November 30th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Mike Connor

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
SNIP

Hold it with your elbow back so that your rod holding
hand is almost at your side. Much more relaxed that way and it
doesn't stress the bicep or wrist.

Peter

OK, will try that next time. Thanks! On reflection, my hand is indeed too
far away from my body.May just be a result of my various injuries though. I
was considering some sort of "butt crutch", ( Like the belly holder for big
game).Hopefully I will be fit again in Spring.

TL
MC

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:43 PM
bruiser

"Peter Charles" wrote in message

Funny, ha ha. Make sure that beer is good and cold.

Actually I was thinking the same think Willi was. Didn't that bet have
something to do with the Madison and 7X?

I'll buy you a beer for every fish of any size you land in the Madison on 7X
(no barbs).

You buy me a Sierra Nevada if you land fewer than four fish all day on 7X.

I might be wrong, and I sure don't have any experience with 7X in the
Madison. 3X, yeah.

bruce h