Adams question

Old December 7th, 2005, 10:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Adams question

"Stan Gula" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
I wish I could join you.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

You are perfectly right Stan, I was only joking! If you can get a good cree
hackle there is no reason at all not to use it. As you say, if you "roll
your own" you can do whatever the hell you please!

TL
MC

Old December 7th, 2005, 10:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"riverman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
SNIP
I've started an experiment, by the way. After tying an Adams, I always
have two feathers without tips (which were sacrificed for the upwings),
a piece of Brown and another piece of Grizzly from the hackle, and a
pinch of dubbing. So I tie a 'NearNuff" with the leftovers. I use the
tipless hackles for the new upwings (which look truncated at this
point), snip a bit off the midsection of one of the feathers to
generate fibers for the tail, wrap the thorax with the leftover dubbing
(plus a pinch of new, if needed. Dubbing is cheap), then I use the
second tipless feather for the hackle, along with the remnant of the
brown hackle. Last of all, I trip the (rather weird) wings into shape.

So far, my 'NearNuff' flies don't look to unappetizing, assuming that
old adage about the ugliest flies catching the most fish. In fact, they
look almost normal, just not as 'delicate'. I look forward to trying
out some of these on the river, or at least sending them around in a
'practical fly' flyswap. (A 'practical fly' meaning one that is tied
for fishing, not for showing.)

--riverman

They will cetainly catch fish. Even just a pinch of fur on a hook will catch
fish. I reckon that about 80% of the time, if not more, there is no real
need for very complex flies. I do like to tie such flies sometimes though,
I am still always fascinated by the look of a fly that turns out just right,
and there is a lot of satisfaction to be had just from looking at a row of
such flies that one has completed.

TL
MC

Old December 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"Stan Gula" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
I wish I could join you.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

You are perfectly right Stan, I was only joking! If you can get a good
cree hackle there is no reason at all not to use it. As you say, if you
"roll your own" you can do whatever the hell you please!
TL
MC

Hi Folks,
Kind of a fun thread for my simple mind.
Some thoughts:
For Stan . . . I never use a "cree". I have one. . . and I used it only as
a base color when I dyed grizzly to compare, when in ancient history I
consulted to a fly manufacturer.
For all, if you want a cree just use Rit dye, with a grizzly neck or saddle.
I used to use a color they called pumpkin. Not sure Rit does it anymore. .
.. but you can google it.
For my "current" Adams, I use
- tail is grizzly
- body is gray, gray/olive, etc.
- parachute wing of poly stuff of some sort that I can "color" with pen
markers, if needed
- hackle is grizzly ( mostly not dyed at all . . but can color it with
pens)
- sometimes . . .I use a just a hackle wrapped wing . . .just grizzly, and
then . . .gasp . . . clip off stuff I don't want when out on a
stream/river/lake, depending on the situation.
The fun is that you can goof around. But you need to know the basics of fly
tying . . .uhh . . .and hackle maintenance . . .and orientation.
DaveMohnsen
Denver
(kinda frosty out here this morning)

Old December 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Dave Mohnsen wrote:

Hi Folks,
Kind of a fun thread for my simple mind.
Some thoughts:
For Stan . . . I never use a "cree". I have one. . . and I used it only as
a base color when I dyed grizzly to compare, when in ancient history I
consulted to a fly manufacturer.
For all, if you want a cree just use Rit dye, with a grizzly neck or saddle.
I used to use a color they called pumpkin. Not sure Rit does it anymore. .
. but you can google it.

Maybe I don't know what a Cree is but I thought it was a neck that has
multiple colors, black, white, ginger/brown on the individual feathers.
If that's the case, how can you dye a grizzly with pumpkin dye and get
cree? I'd think it would just be a "pumpkin" variant (which would
probably be a good hackle).

I found a Whiting neck that has those qualities, multiple colors on the
individual feathers. Not sure if it's a "true" Cree but it ties an
"Adams" with one feather. Great neck! I like variants of all colors
better than solid color hackles (most of the time). To my eye they look
more "buggy" and provide a more indistinct profile.

Willi

Old December 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Willi" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
I found a Whiting neck that has those qualities, multiple colors on the
individual feathers. Not sure if it's a "true" Cree but it ties an
"Adams" with one feather. Great neck! I like variants of all colors
better than solid color hackles (most of the time). To my eye they look
more "buggy" and provide a more indistinct profile.

Willi

There is some disagreement about what a "true cree" is. Here is some info;
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/cree.html

Otherwise, I agree with your commen´ts, and Dave´s as well.

TL
MC

Old December 9th, 2005, 07:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Mike Connor" wrote:

There is some disagreement about what a "true cree" is. Here is some info;
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/cree.html

Otherwise, I agree with your commen´ts, and Dave´s as well.

TL
MC

Mike,
You find the very best links. Thanks much for this one.

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly