March Browns

Old March 17th, 2006, 04:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default March Browns

I live in south central (slightly to the east) Montana and the March
Browns are about ready to start hatching. Actually, I've heard some
already have. But around here, this is the first big mayfly hatch of
the year and really kicks in towards the end of March or early April.

But I was lamenting to a friend about how the dry fly fishing for those
is fairly unproductive and those that you do catch are usually dinks.
He commented that has been his experience too.

It's not until the caddis (Mother's Day hatch) starts to come off that
you really start getting a lot of good surface action.

I was just wondering if there were other areas where the March Brown
provides good dry fly fishing.

Old March 17th, 2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"BlackOtter" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in south central (slightly to the east) Montana and the March
Browns are about ready to start hatching. Actually, I've heard some
already have. But around here, this is the first big mayfly hatch of
the year and really kicks in towards the end of March or early April.

But I was lamenting to a friend about how the dry fly fishing for those
is fairly unproductive and those that you do catch are usually dinks.
He commented that has been his experience too.

It's not until the caddis (Mother's Day hatch) starts to come off that
you really start getting a lot of good surface action.

I was just wondering if there were other areas where the March Brown
provides good dry fly fishing.

It took me awhile to realize (being from the Northeast) there is such a
thing as a Western March Brown. The March Browns, at least in New York.
provided excellent dry fly fishing at times.

Old March 17th, 2006, 05:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"BlackOtter" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
I was just wondering if there were other areas where the March Brown
provides good dry fly fishing.

On the Mckenzie and Willamette rivers of Western Oregon, the March Brown
hatch (which will be starting very soon) is eagerly awaited as the first
consitent spring dry fly action.

Bob Weinberger - La Grande, OR

Old March 17th, 2006, 11:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

BlackOtter wrote:

I live in south central (slightly to the east) Montana and the March
Browns are about ready to start hatching. Actually, I've heard some
already have. But around here, this is the first big mayfly hatch of
the year and really kicks in towards the end of March or early April.

But I was lamenting to a friend about how the dry fly fishing for those
is fairly unproductive and those that you do catch are usually dinks.
He commented that has been his experience too.

It's not until the caddis (Mother's Day hatch) starts to come off that
you really start getting a lot of good surface action.

I was just wondering if there were other areas where the March Brown
provides good dry fly fishing.

incredible mb hatch and fishing on penns creek...
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

BlackOtter wrote:
I live in south central (slightly to the east) Montana and the March
Browns are about ready to start hatching. Actually, I've heard some
already have. But around here, this is the first big mayfly hatch of
the year and really kicks in towards the end of March or early April.

But I was lamenting to a friend about how the dry fly fishing for those
is fairly unproductive and those that you do catch are usually dinks.
He commented that has been his experience too.

It's not until the caddis (Mother's Day hatch) starts to come off that
you really start getting a lot of good surface action.

I was just wondering if there were other areas where the March Brown
provides good dry fly fishing.

March browns are a nice hatch in the northeast, taking place around late
May. (May Brown?) The cool thing about them is that they are a big
bug, the large mouthful lures good sized fish to the top. Also, instead
of hatching all at once at a particular time of day the way that
Hendricksons and others do, they trickle off the stream throughout the
day. that makes for nice leisurely dry fly fishing all day long.

Pete Collin
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Peter A. Collin" wrote in news:mEzSf.3669
:

BlackOtter wrote:
[...]

Speaking of Hendrickson's, will you be fishing the park when they hit?
Maybe we can get together.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Scott Seidman wrote:

Speaking of Hendrickson's, will you be fishing the park when they hit?
Maybe we can get together.

Scott,

I tied some Hendrickson patterns over the past week. Got trout on the
brain! We'll watch the streams. I'll let you know when the hatch
begins. That would be fun to get together.

I have one question: Do you find the no'kill regs in the park doing
anything for the average size of fish there?

Pete
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

" wrote

Do you happen to know Grace Blair? Just a word association in my head
from 'poodle' and 'central Mt'

Old March 17th, 2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Peter A. Collin" wrote in news:58ASf.9458
:

Scott Seidman wrote:

Speaking of Hendrickson's, will you be fishing the park when they hit?
Maybe we can get together.

Scott,

I tied some Hendrickson patterns over the past week. Got trout on the
brain! We'll watch the streams. I'll let you know when the hatch
begins. That would be fun to get together.

I have one question: Do you find the no'kill regs in the park doing
anything for the average size of fish there?

Pete

If anything, the fish last season seemed a little smaller, but I think it
might be because they are way overstocking downstream and upstream. They
are reassessing the rules of thumb they use to stock, and they might
eventually put in less fish.

The Region 8 biologist, presented alot of streamside interview data last
month. They seem more focussed with how well the two 12" fish limit is
keeping the two year old stockies in the stocked section than how well
the park is fishing. Catch rates have always been lower in the park

Harvest in the part hasn't really been a big factor for at least a
decade, I think. The no-kill thing seems almost more of a political
statement than a management practice.

BTW, our banquet is next weekend. Carl has tickets, if you want them, or
you can pick em up at www.sethgreentu.org (raffle tickets too!!). I can
promise a good feed!

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

BTW, our banquet is next weekend. Carl has tickets, if you want them, or
you can pick em up at www.sethgreentu.org (raffle tickets too!!). I can
promise a good feed!

Alas, Miranda and I are going to Massachusetts for that weekend. Hope
you have fun.

Pete