Things U found that R neat for fly fishing

Old July 21st, 2004, 09:25 AM
Padishar Creel

Default Things U found that R neat for fly fishing

Every once in a while I get to wondering what cool things have been
discovered by this group that would make fly fishing a bit more enjoyable or
handy or whatever...

Here is my contribution:

A stainless steel "soap bar" that is the size of a large dog tag that fits
nicely in my vest (It has a hole in it so you can use a keeper, very handy).
I am never worried about fish odor just my own scent sending the fish away
in a hurry.

Fresh Fingers Odor Bar and it cost less than $3.00 US from a cooking section
in a department store. Here is the company that supplies them:

Progressive International Corp.
6111 S. 228th Street
Kent, WA 98032
USA

Toll Free Phone: (800) 426-7101
Phone: (253) 850-6111
Fax: (253) 852-2611

Website: www.progressiveintl.com

Chris

Old July 21st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Frank Reid

Fresh Fingers Odor Bar

Okay, here's another. Its more for fly tying than specifically for
fishing. "Angelina Fiber" from
http://www.texturatrading.com/angelina.html Very inexpensive and used
by yarn makers and "scrapbooking" enthusiasts. Put some in with your
dubbing, stick it in the coffee grinder, instant flash in your dubbing.
41 colors available and it doesn't take much to really dress up you
dubbing. You can also iron it between two pieces of butcher paper and
come up with wingcase or winging material with a great flash (try the
pearl color for a scud back or the "enchanted forest flash" for a stone
fly). It mixes well with itself and other dubbing.
I found it at a quilt and fibre show. You can call the lady at Textura
and she'll send you any amount you might want. Stuff is awesome.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse Email to reply

Old July 21st, 2004, 01:26 PM
Frank Church

Frank Reid wrote in news:cdllc2$sst$1
@newslocal.mitre.org:

Fresh Fingers Odor Bar

Okay, here's another. Its more for fly tying than specifically for
fishing. "Angelina Fiber" from
http://www.texturatrading.com/angelina.html Very inexpensive and used
by yarn makers and "scrapbooking" enthusiasts. Put some in with your
dubbing, stick it in the coffee grinder, instant flash in your dubbing.
41 colors available and it doesn't take much to really dress up you
dubbing. You can also iron it between two pieces of butcher paper and
come up with wingcase or winging material with a great flash (try the
pearl color for a scud back or the "enchanted forest flash" for a stone
fly). It mixes well with itself and other dubbing.
I found it at a quilt and fibre show. You can call the lady at Textura
and she'll send you any amount you might want. Stuff is awesome.

Because I can't do a nail knot for **** I acquired a nail knot tool that
works as advertised, even for these short fat stubby fingers...it lives in
my "travel" fishing stuff.

Frank Church
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:29 PM
Frank Church

"Padishar Creel" wrote in
:

Every once in a while I get to wondering what cool things have been
discovered by this group that would make fly fishing a bit more
enjoyable or handy or whatever...

.....because I suck at nail knots, I acquired two little nail knot tools
that work as advertised with a minimum of hassle. One lives in my vest, the
other in my travel fishin' bag.

Frank Church
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:12 PM
Conan the Librarian

Frank Church wrote:

....because I suck at nail knots, I acquired two little nail knot tools
that work as advertised with a minimum of hassle. One lives in my vest, the
other in my travel fishin' bag.

The best tool I've found for tying nail knots is simply a bicycle
pump "needle". I hacksawed the tip off and rounded the sharp edges off
with a file.

Chuck Vance (of course I tend to use Leader links (tm) when I
need to change leaders on the water)

Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:16 AM
rw

GregP wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:04:45 -0700, "___cory___"
wrote:

I have found the iPod to be a great gadget for the fishing trip. ...

To each his own, and an iPod does allow you to keep the
noise to yourself, as opposed to a boombox. But it does
bother me that we seem to be getting to the point that we
cannot have a noiseless venue. Almost anywhere one
goes, there is a speaker blaring, almost as though people
are afraid to be left to their own thoughts or have to converse
with the people around them.

I don't like listening to music when I'm outside -- fishing or skiing or
whatever. The iPod is great in the car, though. Instead of carrying
around a lot of CDs and changing them all the time, everything goes on
the iPod, and you can easily make mixes with only the songs you like. It
can be plugged into a cassette deck or played on an unused FM channel.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:48 AM
Mike

Toilet paper........ after you eat moose/venison/elk/cow/pig/warthog barley
stew you should have some in your vest...........

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Conan the Librarian

rw wrote:

I don't like listening to music when I'm outside -- fishing or skiing or
whatever.

When I was younger I'd always have music blaring when I was outside,
but I don't ever do it anymore. I'd miss too much. I want to hear the
birds, the river, the trees rustling, the sound of a fish breaking the
surface. That's all music to me.

Chuck Vance (OK, so that was corny, but it's still true)