Walleye fishin'?

Old January 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Walleye fishin'?

What's the best method for fishin' for walleye?

I got a buddy at work who's headin' to Canada fishin' for walleye, but he
don't know how he should fish for them.

Op

Old January 24th, 2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Opie" wrote in news:dr56d1$2qq$1
@lester.appstate.edu:

What's the best method for fishin' for walleye?

I got a buddy at work who's headin' to Canada fishin' for walleye, but he
don't know how he should fish for them.

Op

....minners, take lotsa minners. HTH

Frank Sr.
Old January 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Opie" wrote ...
What's the best method for fishin' for walleye?

I got a buddy at work who's headin' to Canada fishin' for walleye, but he
don't know how he should fish for them.

Op

No idea what constitutes 'best' for where ever your bud's going, but the
Lake Erie drift with a 'crawler and a bottom bouncer was always very
productive. Walleye tend to be on the bottom, (or at least that's what pops
tells me), so you need something that gets down there and moves like natural
prey.

Dan

Old January 24th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:26:08 -0500, "Opie" wrote:

What's the best method for fishin' for walleye?

CompH6 or Rotenone?

I got a buddy at work who's headin' to Canada fishin' for walleye, but he
don't know how he should fish for them.

Oh...hmmm, I guess "should" probably makes the above methods a bit, um,
impractical...

I mean, ya gots yer "best" and then ya gots yer "legal"...

Old January 24th, 2006, 06:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Opie wrote:
What's the best method for fishin' for walleye?

I got a buddy at work who's headin' to Canada fishin' for walleye, but he
don't know how he should fish for them.

Op

Once on a trip to the Broadback in Quebec, We hit it when the Hexageneas
were hatching at the lake the lodge is on. At dusk, walleyes would rise
to the butterfly sized bugs. First one I caught on a Brown Wulff, I
thought it was a huge brook trout, and burst out laughing to find a 3
pound walleye in the net.

Pretty unique way of targeting them, I admit.

Pete collin
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Opie wrote:
What's the best method for fishin' for walleye?

I got a buddy at work who's headin' to Canada fishin' for walleye, but he
don't know how he should fish for them.

On the fox river in Geneva Illinois, it was not uncommon to catch them
on the surface during the caddis hatch but not so sure that's the best
way. Bronze colored wooly bugger with barbell eyes and lots of flash
have worked for me on a fly rod.

Old January 25th, 2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wayne Knight wrote:
Opie wrote:

What's the best method for fishin' for walleye?

I got a buddy at work who's headin' to Canada fishin' for walleye, but he
don't know how he should fish for them.

On the fox river in Geneva Illinois, it was not uncommon to catch them
on the surface during the caddis hatch but not so sure that's the best
way. Bronze colored wooly bugger with barbell eyes and lots of flash
have worked for me on a fly rod.

That's a great example of how the fishing has improved in my lifetime.
When I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, the Fox River (as well as "all"
the other local waterways) was an open sewer. I learned to canoe on the
Fox River when I was in Scouts. We used to plow our canoes through the
standing piles of soap suds bobbling along in the current. A friend fell
out of the canoe one time, cut his arm on something in the water and
ended up with a very serious infection.

And then there were those piles of rotting Alewives on the beaches of
Lake Michigan and...........

Those were the "good" old days!!!!

Willi

Old January 25th, 2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:25:53 -0700, Willi wrote:

And then there were those piles of rotting Alewives on the beaches of
Lake Michigan and...........

Those were the "good" old days!!!!

Ah yes, I remember the alewives. I got my worst sunburns at the Indiana Dunes in
the midst of them.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Opie" wrote in message
What's the best method for fishin' for walleye?

I got a buddy at work who's headin' to Canada fishin' for walleye, but he
don't know how he should fish for them.

Op

Thanks guyz! I'll pass this info along to my semi-co-worker--he's actually
the Otis elevator man on campus.

He and his brother-in-law are headin' North of the border together, and I
doubt that they will be doing any flyfishin', as all the guyz at work call
flyfishin': pussy fishin'!

On a totally unrelated note. ASU is presently interviewing candidates for
Physical Plant Director. Yesterday, we had a Navy Capt. speak to us. He
was very impressive. Very well spoken. I liked him. He has many degrees
and strangely enough, he has an engineering degree in environmental
construction, or some such nonsense. Unfortunately, he won't get the
job--he's a flyfisherman :~^(

Tomorrow, we get to meet a Lt. Col. from the Air Force. Supposedly, he
didn't advance to full bird because he was too close to his men and would
back them to the hilt, yeah right! We'll see.

Op