TR: Bull Trout Presentation

Old February 12th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Chas Wade

Default TR: Bull Trout Presentation

I'm taking off in the morning for the Hoh, so this will be short, but
hit on the main points of last night's presentation in Port Angeles.
I'm including the things I remember from the talk, and I'm omitting
anything I'm not sure was straight from Sam or Steve. Come to think of
it, I'm omitting lots of things I don't remember off hand as well.

Sam Brenkman is the National Park biologist in charge of the bull trout
telemetry study. He and Steve Corbet gave a presentation to about 30
or 40 people last night at the visitor center in Port Angeles to
describe the intermediate results of his study. The study is
commissioned for 4 years, so he's just past half way through it.

For 2 and a half years he's been inserting coded radio tags in Hoh
river Bull Trout. 72 fish were captured in the Hoh, mostly by hook and
line, and 9 were captured in Kalalock Creek. They also acquired 107
frozen fish that were unintentionally netted by the local tribes at the
mouth of the Hoh. The frozen fish were disected and analyzed for
various genetic data, and stomach contents. Almost all the food they
could identify was surf smelt, the remaining 8% was sculpins. All
these fish were netted near the salt, so this reflects the food they
find in the estuary.

All the fish wandered out to the ocean, and most of them were later
found at the mouths of the rivers south of the Hoh, down to the
Quinalt. 25 fish went into the ocean after spawning and disapeared.
One of those came back last week after 15 or 16 months of absence.
They're hoping more of the 25 will return from their wandering. No
tagged fish have been detected north of the Hoh.

Sam said this was the first study to prove that Bull Trout can be
anadromous. There is lots of evidence for migration into and out of
reservoirs (I've forgotten the word like anadromous for this behaviour)
in inland areas, but this is the first study to find them in the ocean.

The west coast river fish are all bull trout, no dolly varden. There
are landlocked populations of dolly varden in the upper Queets, upper
Sol Duc, both populations are above structure that blocks upstream
migration. This was interesting because it's exactly backwards of the
expected distribution. Prior to this study, Bulls were considered an
interior fish, and Dollies were their anadromous cousin.

Despite the similar appearance of bulls and dollies, they are no more
similar than cutthroat and rainbow trout.

Bulls will cross breed with brook trout, but the offspring are sterile.
Sam didn't provide details about the results of bulls and dollies
cross breeding.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old February 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Stan Gula

Default Bull Trout Presentation

"Chas Wade" wrote in message
Sam said this was the first study to prove that Bull Trout can be
anadromous. There is lots of evidence for migration into and out of
reservoirs (I've forgotten the word like anadromous for this behaviour)
in inland areas, but this is the first study to find them in the ocean.

Potadromous?

Thanks for the info Chas.

Old February 12th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Jeff Miller

diadromous = live in ocean, spawn in fresh (anadromous) *or* live in
fresh water, spawn in ocean (catadromous)...doesn't seem to fit.

amphidromous = moving from normal fresh or salt to the other water to
eat or survive drought but not to procreate. perhaps?

??

ditto on info thanks...

Old February 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM
bruiser

Great Stuff Chas.

If any of you get the chance to fish with Chas you'll find out that he's
even friendlier and more enthusiastic in person. I know that it doesn't
seem possible but it's true.

bruce h

Old February 12th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Willi

Chas Wade wrote:
I'm taking off in the morning for the Hoh, so this will be short, but
hit on the main points of last night's presentation in Port Angeles.

These posts are great Chas.

Willi

Old February 13th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Jeff Miller

actually... some of us fished with chas and his wife on a fine grayling
lake in montana. chas and his wife had the good sense not to carry a
boat up the mountain and to fish from the banks, catching as many
grayling as those of us with blue balls kicking about in the
water...(guess which idiot wore shorts in a float tube). chas' wife was
most enthusiastic while catching those grayling jewels... lots of fun
and good company ....

jeff

Old February 13th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Wayne Knight

"troutbum_mt" wrote in message

Warren wrote:

I've really enjoyed following your bull
trout threads.

But we could have had more fun if he wrote

"I've really enjoyed following your bull."

Wayne
With apologies to Chas and his fine info.

Old February 13th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Chas Wade

"Stan Gula" wrote:
"Chas Wade" wrote in message
Sam said this was the first study to prove that Bull Trout can be
anadromous. There is lots of evidence for migration into and out of
reservoirs (I've forgotten the word like anadromous for this
behaviour)
in inland areas, but this is the first study to find them in the
ocean.

Potadromous?

Thanks for the info Chas.

Potadromous works, but Adfluvial is what I was looking for. I think
they're synonyms.

Thanks