Lost a HOG

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Default Lost a HOG

Ok guys,, someone explain this to me

A 6 inch fresh water mussel, ate my drop shot weight, I mean the whole
weight was inside the tightly closed shell of the live mussel, the real
problem was I was fighting a 28 (minimum) inch large mouth at the time,
I got it right up to the bank, when it flung it's head, pulling against
that damn mussel, and the hook came out, I landed the mussel, not the bass.

I was using a lot of four letter words on that mussel, man that was the
best bass I have had hooked in a year. I was not gentle opening that
shell to get my weight back

Has anyone else ever had a mussel eat their weight, or lure ?

I figure I, or the bass, drug the line across the partially open shell,
it felt the weight and reacted by closing up tight.

I know this bass would have easily broke the lake record of 13 lbs
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
The Great Gazooka

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:34:56 -0500, Rodney Long
wrote:

Ok guys,, someone explain this to me

A 6 inch fresh water mussel, ate my drop shot weight, I mean the whole
weight was inside the tightly closed shell of the live mussel, the real
problem was I was fighting a 28 (minimum) inch large mouth at the time,
I got it right up to the bank, when it flung it's head, pulling against
that damn mussel, and the hook came out, I landed the mussel, not the bass.

I was using a lot of four letter words on that mussel, man that was the
best bass I have had hooked in a year. I was not gentle opening that
shell to get my weight back

Has anyone else ever had a mussel eat their weight, or lure ?

I figure I, or the bass, drug the line across the partially open shell,
it felt the weight and reacted by closing up tight.

I know this bass would have easily broke the lake record of 13 lbs

I`m sure Dick Short, that your wife is the only one that ever ate your
muscle. We know she has a big mouth and took such small bait. You talk
about being gentle........I`m sure she didn`t even want to eviscerate
your bait. She was just trying to be a responsible wife. You should
license her.
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

I have caught mussels several times like that - on Texas and Carolina
rigged weights. Never caused me to lose a bass but can see where it
would be a problem.

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

I've caught lots of muscles on the hook when cat fishing in current. I
think the mcurretn slowly dragged the rig across lots of muscles. When the
hook touched the exposed muscle it retracted dragging the point insde the
shell.

Old March 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

John B wrote:
(Rodney Long)

I know this bass would have easily broke the lake record of 13 lbs

At least you know "she's" still in there...go back today and have
another go at her!

But remember, the old gal probably has a few more tricks up her gills,
or she wouldn't be a potential lake record!

You're the inventor...how 'bout an "anti-mussel" weight rig?

Since it was a potential record that you "almost" caught, you do know
that it is your obligation to start the "legend" and name the
fish...maybe "Old Mussel Mouth".

I know it was a deliberate act, when she shook her head the mussel
nearly hit the bank, as it jerked the lure loose, like she was slinging
the thing at me. I had no idea what was going on, or what was on the end
of the line until I reeled it in. I'm gonna get this bass, I just hope I
get her prior to her laying that belly full of eggs.

I got here from the bank, she was in 17 feet of water, just right off a
drop off from 5 feet (this is an old, very, very, small strip mine that
was submerged when they built the lake, it is about 100 feet long, 50
feet wide, and 12 feet deeper than the lake level, along the bank of
this 450 acre public lake)

Old March 29th, 2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

Rodney,

I believe when we talked on the phone I had mentioned my issues with
mussels here on the Winnebago system. I have lost tons of wiggle rigs
cut in half, and mono doesn't compete with these guys at all. Fluoro
will last a little longer, and power pro seems to be the best so far.

I have had them latched on to my baits many different times. LIke you
said, you probably dragged across a partially open mussel, and it just
closed on your weight.

Chris

Old March 30th, 2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Chris Rennert wrote:

I have had them latched on to my baits many different times. LIke you
said, you probably dragged across a partially open mussel, and it just
closed on your weight.

I looked up to heaven, and asked "Why Lord, I mean if I was going to
loose such a fish, in a 1 in a billion situation,, why did you even let
me see it"

I was being punished for something, or he was just having a good laugh
:-), I think it was just both.

It reminds me of the preacher who woke up one Sunday morning, and looked
at the weather, and said, man what a day to be fishing, so he called the
head deacon, and told him he was sick, that he would not be able to
preach that day. He went fishing, drove over two counties so no one
would know him, and started fishing. St. Pete Looked at God and said ,,
look at that preacher, he lied to go fishing, you should punish him,,
God thought for a sec. and said your right, I'll do it now. At that
moment the preacher hooked a 25 lb bass, and actually landed it, and was
weighing it, when St. Pete said to God,, hay I thought you were going to
punish him, he just caught the world record bass

God said, I did,,,, who is he going to tell ?
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
The Great Gazooka

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:08:03 -0500, Rodney Long
wrote:

Chris Rennert wrote:

[...]

Yeah...........and he couldn`t even discern the fact that the "head
deacon" and his own wife both smelled of fish too. Yeah Dick
Short............that`s a real spammin' knee slapper. By golly.