Tuna salad anyone? Death of a Tuna and Deathof a Whale

Old November 24th, 2006, 11:10 AM posted to alt.fishing,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,rec.outdoors.fishing
pearl

Default THE MYTH OF DIET AND COLESTEROL (AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)

"pearl" wrote in message ...
"Rodney Long" wrote in message ...

Lacking animal fat, in your diet, is not the only reason for mental
illness, yet it is a major cause of it, among those who don't eat meat

How many times a week do you recommend that people eat an average
portion of meat (animal protein and fat), in order to enjoy maximum
benefit to brain function and mental health, and avoid mental illness?

Looks like Rodney's lost his appetite. Guess we'll have to
go by what he says he eats - "I eat MEAT three times a day,
I'm 53 years old," - Rodney Long, 14 November 2006 03:26 .....

'Senile Dementia and Meat Eating
Lumen Foods "Lab Notes" for July 14, 2000

Age concern for meat eaters as new study suggests links
between meat-eating and senile dementia.

Meat-eaters may be more than twice as likely to develop
senile dementia as their vegetarian counterparts, according to
the findings of a study conducted at California's Loma Linda
University.

Dementia is widely recognized as a major medical, social and
economic problem in developed countries where the over 65's
account for an increasingly high percentage of the population.

In the UK, around 20 percent of the total population are aged
over 65. Some five to seven percent of the over 65's are
estimated to suffer moderate or severe dementia; while mild,
early and borderline demented states affect 10 to 50 per cent.
Research has suggested a link between diet and dementia; and
it is possible Alzheimer's Disease and the similar Senile Dementia
of the Alzheimer Type (SDAT) may involve an infectious
component which is spread by an infectious mechanism.

Researchers from the Department of Preventative Medicine
at Loma Linda University investigated the relationship between
animal product consumption and evidence of dementia in two
cohort substudies. The first involved 272 age and postal area
matched Californian residents: 68 vegan, 68 lacto-ovo-vegetarian
and 136 meat-eaters (described as 'heavy' meat-eaters,
consuming meat more than four times weekly). The second
substudy included 2,984 unmatched subjects residing within the
Loma Linda area. All participants were enrolled in the Adventist
Health Study.

In the matched substudy, it was found subjects who ate meat
were more than twice as likely to become demented as their
vegetarian counterparts. This increased to three times as likely
when past meat consumption was taken into account. No
difference was observed between the lacto-ovo-vegetarians
and vegans.

The unmatched substudy found no significant difference in the
incidence of dementia in meat-eaters and vegetarians. It is
suggested that this was due to the unmatched study being unable
to detect the effects of 'heavy' meat consumption. This, in turn,
suggests it is possible that there is minimal or no difference
between the incidence of dementia in vegetarians and occasional
meat-eaters (less than four times/week). Delayed onset of
dementia in vegetarians was detectable in both substudies. In the
unmatched substudy only one person who had been vegetarian
for 30 years developed probable dementia before the age of 75,
whereas nine meat-eaters did. A similar trend was observed in
the matched substudy.

The hypothesis that animal-product consumption may be linked
to senile dementia has previously been proposed by Alzheimer's
researchers. The findings from this preliminary study support
their views and indicates further research is warranted.

Giem, P. et al (1993) The incidence of dementia and intake of
animal products: preliminary findings from the Adventist Health
Study. Neuroepidemiology v. 11 p.28-36

http://www.soybean.com/demen.htm

Old November 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM posted to alt.fishing,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,rec.outdoors.fishing
pearl

"Rodney Long" wrote in message:
You have convinced no one on these fishing groups, not a single person,

'6. Fallacy of appeal to personal interest (argumentum ad personam).
Appeal to the personal likes, prejudices, weaknesses, of others in order
to have an argument accepted. "Well ya wanna be in the club don't ya?"

7. Fallacy of argument to the people (argumentum ad populum).
Appeal to the gallery, majority, popular prejudice, biases, or mob
instinct in order to arouse popular acceptance of an idea without
resorting to logical justification of the idea.
8. Fallacy of argument to veneration (argumentum ad verecundiam.)
Appealing to authority, fame, customs, traditions, institutions, to
gain acceptance of a point.
Example: "That's the way we've always done it..."
....'
http://www.wdv.com/Writings/Fallacies/index.html

It's highly doubtful that the information posted has been ignored.

'Vegan Stereotypes. Since my older brothers were involved with
both, I began lifting weights and supplementing heavily at twelve
to prepare for football, and I have never stopped either activity.
This was long before I ever contemplated the elimination of animal
products from my diet. Most people I meet think I'm in the Marines.
There exists a huge impediment to males, in particular, in eliminating
animal products from their diet. It's simply not masculine. Again, I
run into this stereotype only on the internet where people can't see
me. Nobody confuses me with an "anemic vegan" in person.

Hazardous Materials. But at UCLA I spent a great deal of time in
the Biomedical Library and could see that there was actually a
large body of literature associating animal products with cancer
and heart disease and I eliminated these foods from my diet. It
involved no will power whatsoever - I just lost interest in these
foods because I could clearly see that they were not associated
with health and longevity. As my major was psychobiology, the
macho stereotypes did not have the power over me as they might
have others, and I do not believe it was a coincidence that my
completely eliminating animal products coincided with my
matriculation at UCLA.

Vegan? At no time did I try to become a /vegan/. I also don't
consider myself to be on any particular "diet", McDougall or
otherwise. I eat whatever I have on hand anytime I feel hungry.
Whenever I am hungry I eat however much I want - I certainly
don't go hungry. I also have no taste for carrot sticks and celery.
But without animal products around almost whatever one
substitutes for these foods turns out to be far fewer in fat,
cholesterol, and calories. Although I have never made an attempt
to eat a specific number of fats, proteins, or carbohydrates,
eliminating animal products has lead to a calorie breakdown of
8%, 16%, and 75%, respectfully. Again, this involves absolutely
no will power, lack of energy, or hunger. Anybody interested in
losing weight can do so by slowly eliminating animal products
one by one along with actively seeking out the massive amount
of medical lititure that shows these foods to be closely
associated with cancer, heart disease, and yes, obesity.

Two very extensive studies in this regard are....

http://nutrition.cornell.edu/ChinaProject/
http://www.llu.edu/llu/health/abstracts/

http://www.soybean.com/demen.htm