If it comes to easy

Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:09 PM
Bob La Londe

Default If it comes to easy

I have seen a few posts asking about the first rod for a child. I have
tried to answer froma fisherman's perspective most times, but I was just
thinking about the way kids treat their stuff.

What brought it to mind was soemthing my ABA partner Hammer said to me a
couple weekends ago. He asked me if I remembered a kid that he had taken
fishing at one of the Desert Bass tournaments. It took me a moment to
remember, but I did. Hammer said he had bought the kid a decent low price
rod (don't remember what) and a Pflueger Trion spinning reel since then, and
that the reel now spun like it had rocks instead of ball bearings from being
dropped int he sand and what not.

Now, I have several Pflueger Trion spinning reels, and except for a lost
screw in cap on one and my stepping on another and breaking the handle I
have had zero problems with them. They spin very free, and smooth.

So I think the next time somebody asks what rod and reel they should get for
a kid I'll answer with a question, "How responsible are they with their
stuff?"

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com
Free Site Link Index
Open Fishing and Boating Forums

Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
John Kerr

Good thought Bob, I have also seen kids destroy some good fishing gear,
but maybe it's not as much their fault as their "upbringing". I never
had to worry about little John taking care of his gear...he paid for
most of it himself (wasn't satisfied wih ole dad's little gifts) grin.
But my daughter and son-in-law have their own private lake in Alabama,
and when I go visit, I usually spend an afternoon walking around it
picking up the fishing gear my grandson left strewn around...love him to
death, but don't think fishing is gonna be his first love .
JK