Fishing first time this weekend

Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:11 PM
Jeff

"Rodney" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

Musta been starving Cats and bream. JK

Should not have been, these were in a large lake.

JK=Just Kidding

Anyway, each time we do this, we sometimes catch a cat, or a couple of
bream, of course we catch many more of both when fishing the same spot
with worms, we sometimes catch carp on the worms.

Not doubting it.

Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:17 PM
Jeff

What kind of fish can be caught with corn kernels? I want to start
using these to get my wife used to the idea, since she's unwilling to
use live bait at this point.

I know people who just dont like to use live bait, but they love to fish. So
they use alternatives and there are plenty of them. For Bass, use Lures
which is the preferred type of BAIT anyway. For Crappy use Shad Darts and
small crappy lures. For Catfish use Stinkbait, dead Shad that you can buy in
packages (I just pick it up off the bank), bloodbait and there are many
other non-living baits to use. For Carp use Corn, Carp Balls, Dough Balls
and there are other over the counter dead baits as well. Anyway, there are
dead or artificial baits for every kind of fish. Just look around, search
the web for ideas.

Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Bob La Londe

"Jeff" wrote in message
Personally I have never caught a Bluegill or Cat off of corn and have
never
seen anyone do so. Corn is Carp bait. Not saying you cant though, thats
just
my 35 years fishing experience. As for the barbs on hooks, if you dont
want
them, the best thing to do is simply buy barbless hooks. You can get them
anywhere.

I've caught panfish on corn many times, and its a relatively popular bait
for trout as well. I personally think cheese, salmon eggs, and marshmallows
are all better baits than corn for those fish, but it does work, and often
its a matter of using what you have handy. I caught a very nice rainbow
once on a cane pole using a canned Boston Baked Bean as bait. I've heard
hotdogs work well, and catch cats too, and a year ago the hot bait around
her for striper was Kentucky Fried Chicken, Original Recipe.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Jeff

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

I grew up catching Stripers in Maryland (Our state fish) and NEVER saw
anyone use KFC or anything similar. I didnt fish for trout until I was
stationed in Colorado. Spent a lot of time at the Reservior at Woodland Park
and all we ever used was salmon eggs, worked well. Some catfish will hit on
hotdogs but it is not a preferred bait except to people who havent been
catfishing that long.

Old July 24th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Bob La Londe

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Back on those stripers. Here's one for you. In one area where a lot of
people fish from the bank I have stopped and talked ot a few of them.
Mostly fishing with live for catfish. Some people there always seem to pick
up a striper or two over the course of the evening and others say they have
been fishing there for years and never caught one.

Recently a buddy of mine told me off some spots and ways to fish for
stripers. He told me fish chicken livers in those spots. Don't waste your
time with beef liver though they won't hit it, but you will always catch a
few decent stripers in the spots he was telling me about with chicken
livers.

Now, I'll bet you those guys who always pick up striper or two while they
are catfishing are using chicken livers, and those that never do are using
something else. Chicken livers are after all another popular catfish bait.
Wild huh?

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 24th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Jeff

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Ya just never know.

Old July 25th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Haywood Jablowme

I heard a good bean burrito works good for carp.
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM
arccos

As an update, we did go fishing Saturday at our local (very) small lake
from the shore for about 2.5 hours, and didn't catch anything. There
was a father/son team about 20 ft down from us (and right in the spot
where we started), catching something on literally ever 2nd cast. I
went down and asked him about what he was using for bait. He was
mumbling, possibly due to the contents of the cooler sitting next to
him, but I got out something about "red *mumbles*" as bait, and that he
was using ultralights. So we'll give the ultralights a try next time.

The wife and I both had a blast, though, and she was ready to go back
out on Sunday. Surprising, since it wasn't her first choice for
entertainment. Unfortunately, the Chicago weathercasters were right,
and it did top 100. So we didn't. Next weekend, though!

Thanks all for the tips! Hope everyone had more luck then we did this
weekend.

-Arccos

Old July 25th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Jeff

"arccos" wrote in message
oups.com...
, but I got out something about "red *mumbles*" as bait, and that he
was using ultralights.

Could be a lot of things but I would take a SWAG at it and say "Red
Wigglers". These are very skinny worms, red, and wiggle around like crazy.
Put em on a hook and they attract all sorts of fish. I hate using them
because they wiggle off the hook from all the movement. I am surprised he
just didnt show you.

If you fished as you said you were, and just used corn for carp then I am
not surprised you didnt catch anything. I dont know about the other
fisherman here but I can speak for myself when I say, when I go fishing,
whether its for Big Flatheads or anything else, I take what bait I am going
to use and I ALWAYS stop and grab a couple of dozen nightcrawlers. If I am
not catching anything on what I am using, I switch to Nightcrawlers because
I am not going fishing and leaving without catching SOME KIND OF FISH.
Plus, you can take the Nightcrawlers home, put them in the fridge and they
will last forever. I have a box in my fridge now that I have had for 3
weeks.

As for my luck this weekend, 15 Channel's about 2-3 lbs each, put them all
back. I keep no Cat unless it is 10 lbs or over.

Old July 25th, 2005, 03:35 PM
arccos

Jeff wrote:
"arccos" wrote in message
oups.com...
, but I got out something about "red *mumbles*" as bait, and that he
was using ultralights.

Could be a lot of things but I would take a SWAG at it and say "Red
Wigglers". These are very skinny worms, red, and wiggle around like crazy.
Put em on a hook and they attract all sorts of fish. I hate using them
because they wiggle off the hook from all the movement. I am surprised he
just didnt show you.

That's very likely it... thanks for the info! I was a bit surprised
that he didn't really wanna stop and have a chat, about his luck, too.
I just took it that he didn't want to be interupted, so I just went on
my way.

If you fished as you said you were, and just used corn for carp then I am
not surprised you didnt catch anything. I dont know about the other
fisherman here but I can speak for myself when I say, when I go fishing,
whether its for Big Flatheads or anything else, I take what bait I am going
to use and I ALWAYS stop and grab a couple of dozen nightcrawlers. If I am
not catching anything on what I am using, I switch to Nightcrawlers because
I am not going fishing and leaving without catching SOME KIND OF FISH.
Plus, you can take the Nightcrawlers home, put them in the fridge and they
will last forever. I have a box in my fridge now that I have had for 3
weeks.

Good idea about the crawlers. I didn't really want to leave without
catching, but I could tell she was starting to get bored (it was a very
boring lake), and I wanted her to want to come back.

We actually just ended up using various lures on either 4lb ultralights
or 10lb. I was having quite a bit of trouble with keeping the cheap
split shot on the line, so we ended up switching to weighted lures and
jigs with soft plastic.

-Arccos